Prep: 30 minutes Cook: 30 minutes
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 small zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 small yellow crookneck squash, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 green or red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups snow peas, trimmed and left whole
- 3 cups tomato chunks
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- seasonings (see hints)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Saute onions and garlic in 1/2 cup water in a large saucepan. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add both kinds of summer squash, green or red pepper, snow peas, and tomatoes, plus another 1/2 cup water. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add corn and chosen seasonings. Simmer an additional 10 minutes. Mix cornstarch in 1/4 cup cold water. Gradually add to stew while stirring. Cook and stir until thickened. Serve hot over whole grains.
HINTS: This is a very low calorie stew. It is delicious with many different seasonings. Choose one of the four seasoning mixtures here, or use your own favorites.
1. 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro.
2. 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped, 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped, 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped, dash lemon juice.
3. 1/2 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon dill weed, 1 teaspoon paprika 4. 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon marjoram, 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard.