Spicy Yam Stew
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 35 minutes
I am always looking for interesting ways to use yams in a recipe instead of just baking them. Try this recipe over brown rice or baked millet.
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium-large yams, peeled and chunked
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 16 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped green chilies
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- several twists freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed in 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
Place all the ingredients except the cornstarch mixture and the parsley in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened. Stir in the parsley just before serving.
Hints: This may be made ahead of time and reheated just before serving. Add the parsley after reheating. This is also delicious made with chopped fire-roasted tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes.