Ol's South West Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 40 minutes
By Ola Ellman
Use either regular sweet potatoes or orange Garnet yams in this recipe.
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 2 celery stalks plus the leaves, rough chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 dried Serrano pepper broken up or1 fresh jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1-2 15 ounce cans black beans, slightly drained
- about 1/4 cup instant mashed potatoes
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- baked tortilla strips
Saute onion in just enough water to cover for a few minutes, or until soft. Add more water if needed. Add the celery and garlic and saute until soft, adding just enough water to keep from sticking.
Add 4 cups of water, the sweet potatoes and chili pepper and bring to boil; then turn down heat so it simmers. Add herbs to taste, about 1/2 teaspoon each. Add black pepper to taste. Simmer until sweet potatoes are done, but still holding shape. Add black beans and simmer until well heated. Stir in enough instant mashed potatoes to just thicken the liquid slightly, if needed.
Taste and adjust seasoning and if necessary add a bit of soy sauce to taste.
Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and baked tortilla strips. Serve with corn bread.