Jeff's Longevity Soup
Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 15 minutes
By Jeff Novick
All you need is a large pot, a spoon, scissors and a can opener to make this soup. Now what could be easier than that!!
- 6 cups water
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans beans (see hints below)
- 2 pounds frozen vegetables (see hints below)
- 1-2 cups cooked potatoes, grains, or pasta (see hints below)
- minced garlic, basil, oregano, hot pepper sauce
- minced garlic, grated ginger, smoked paprika, cumin, hot pepper sauce
Place all of the ingredients into a large pot and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes, until all vegetable are done.
Hints: Use any kind of beans that you like in this soup, either both the same kind or one can of each of 2 different kinds. (Jeff's favorites are kidney and garbanzo.) Look for Eden Organic, No-Salt Added Beans. Also look for Pomi tomatoes in shelf-stable boxes. Frozen vegetables usually come in 1 pound bags. Look for California Blend (cauliflower, broccoli and carrots) or Italian Blend (zucchini, green beans, broccoli and red pepper). This is a good use for leftover cooked starches, such as potatoes, rice or pasta. Use one of the 2 seasoning suggestions for either an Italian-style soup or a Moroccan-style soup. (Leave out the hot pepper sauce, if desired.) Or use your favorite seasoning blend to make this soup even easier.