French Vegetable Soup
Prep: 30 minutes Cook: 45 minutes
This soup is thick and filling and contains a wide variety of vegetables.
- 8 cups water
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 potatoes, chopped coarsely
- 1 stalk celery, thickly sliced
- 1 carrot, thickly sliced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 4 zucchini, thickly sliced (cut in half)
- 2 leeks, sliced or 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli pieces, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup cauliflower pieces, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
Place 8 cups water in a large soup pot. Add onions, potatoes, garlic, celery and carrots. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, cook an additional 30 minutes.
HINTS: If you don't have any white wine on hand, use a cup of vegetable broth instead. Sprinkle with finely chopped green onions before serving, if desired.