Carrot and Roasted Bell Pepper Soup
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 40 minutes
By Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
This is a delicious and beautiful soup good for any time of the year. Reduce the spicy cayenne, if you prefer, but its presence gives this soup a little kick!
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or dry white wine (or nonalcoholic white wine)
- 1/4 tsp, plus more to taste salt
- 2 roasted bell peppers (roast your own or use jarred), coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup yellow/light miso
- 2 cups non-dairy milk, divided
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Directions: In a soup pot, combine the carrots, onions, potato, garlic, sherry, and salt. Cook over medium heat until the liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.
Add the roasted peppers, thyme, and stock. Cover and simmer until the carrots and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
Transfer to a blender, working in batches if your blender is on the smaller side. Add the miso and 1 cup of the non-dairy milk. Blend until smooth.
Return to the pot and slowly stir in the remaining 1 cup non-dairy milk to achieve the desired thickness. Add the cayenne and more salt to taste. Reheat and serve.