Cannellini Bean Stew
Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 15-20 minutes
This is another recipe that is a favorite at the McDougall Program. It is very easy to prepare and the leftovers are great the next day. This recipe may easily be doubled for more servings.
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2-1 tsp minced fresh garlic (or bottled minced garlic)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 15 ounce can white cannellini beans
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp slivered fresh basil
- several twists fresh ground pepper
Place onion and garlic in a saucepan with the broth. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes until onion softens slightly. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
Serve plain in a bowl with some bread or ladle over whole grains, pasta or potatoes.
Hints: If fresh tomatoes are not in season, use canned diced tomatoes instead. Substitute 3/4 cup of drained, canned diced tomatoes for every 1 tomato.