Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 40 minutes
By Timaree Hagenburger, MPH, RD, EP-c
This meal is very easy to prepare and super satisfying! Once I explain to my students how to make it, they try it once, and then it becomes a "go-to meal" for busy nights.
- sweet potatoes, light colored flesh, rinsed, but NOT peeled
- Toppings (amount for one potato)
- 1/2 cup (or more) chopped fresh greens
- 1/2 cup (or more) cooked beans- my favorites for this dish are chili beans or black beans
- 1/4-1/2 cup red/purple cabbage, thinly slice/shaved
- 2 tbsp or more salsa
- several slices avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp scallions, chopped small
- lime, for squeezing
Place rinsed sweet potatoes directly on oven rack (do not wrap in foil) and place a large piece of foil on the rack below to catch any drips. Roast at 350-375F until tender, approx. 30-40 mins.
Slice steaming hot sweet potato open and fill with chopped greens, then beans (warm up if cold), cabbage, salsa, cilantro, scallions, avocado and a squeeze of lime juice.
Hints: When choosing sweet potatoes, be sure that they are heavy for their size, firm (no soft spots or wrinkled ends), and of similar size, so that they will roast in about the same time.
Be sure to roast enough sweet potatoes to use for the rest of the week, so they will be at your fingertips when you come home hungry!
Any fresh greens will work, including baby spinach, kale or chard.