weight bearing exercise and bones

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: weighted vest

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:31 am

AnnaS wrote:I read a couple of research studies that included the weighted vest as part of the protocol. This seemed to make sense, and I thought about getting one...then I had a thought. Why not just wear a small backpack and add progressively more weight to it (up to the 10% amount)? So I now do this for part of my walking. If the backpack fits nicely, doesn't chafe or hurt, I think it's a perfect solution. Why buy more equipment when you have just the thing in a closet somewhere.

It seems to me that humans have been carrying things on their backs as long as we've been in existence. There's a kind of 'rightness' about it. Also, if you'd like to go backpacking someday on a weekend or vacation, it's good training for that, as well as strengthening for your bones.

Good point!

I have both a vest and a backpack and prefer using my backpack. In fact, I carry it with me almost everywhere I go and it usually has about 5-10 lbs worth of stuff in it, sometimes more. And I use both straps to keep the weight even on my back.

Everyone just thinks I am a ol' hippie, little do they know I am working out and maintaining my bone mass. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby prairiedream » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:35 pm

Are jumping and "running" on a rebound trampoline considered effective?
prairiedream

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:05 pm

prairiedream wrote:Are jumping and "running" on a rebound trampoline considered effective?

Hi PD,

While a rebound trampoline can provide a great workout, it is not considered effective in the area of "bone density" and for preventing osteo.

In Health,
Jeff
JeffN

Postby AnnaS » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:17 pm

JeffN wrote:
While a rebound trampoline can provide a great workout, it is not considered effective in the area of "bone density" and for preventing osteo.

I've read that NASA uses these to help astronauts regain their strength and bone density quickly--the implication being that the extra G's in the rebounding is beneficial to bones. I don't know for sure if this is true, as I don't know exactly how to evaluate this, but here is the 1980 study:
http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/49/5/881
The key finding being "the magnitude of the biomechanical stimuli is greater with jumping on a trampoline than with running" for similar exertion.

Do you know of any studies that have checked bone densities before and after a rebounding regimen?
AnnaS

Postby JeffN » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:57 am

AnnaS wrote:
JeffN wrote:Do you know of any studies that have checked bone densities before and after a rebounding regimen?

Thanks.

I also heard of NASA's interest in the rebounder.

However, outside of the one study you referenced, which didn't deal directly on the effects of rebounders on osteo, I can find no other reference supporting its effectiveness.

None of the national health, national osteo, or national fitness organization seem to recommend it as effective either. The only support I can find is at sites promoting the rebounder and/or just interent articles.

So, unless any one can find some support for its effectiveness, I would be hesitant to recommend it as being effective.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD