More questions about nutrition education...

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

More questions about nutrition education...

Postby Gwen » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi Jeff,
What inspired you to go back to school for nutrition?

Knowing what you know now about nutrition, how much of your schooling supported what you now know? or did the schooling support more of the commonly held beliefs that are so readily espoused by today's Diet Doctors?

Was the schooling you received adequate to come to the conclusions you have now about nutrition and to debunk false theories?

I want to go to school to find out the true matters in nutrition and not just more of the confusing theories out there.
Thanks for any advice you have,
Gwen
Gwen

Re: More questions about nutrition education...

Postby JeffN » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Gwen wrote: What inspired you to go back to school for nutrition?

You can read the full story here in any of the interviews.

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Interviews.html

Gwen wrote: Knowing what you know now about nutrition, how much of your schooling supported what you now know? or did the schooling support more of the commonly held beliefs that are so readily espoused by today's Diet Doctors? Was the schooling you received adequate to come to the conclusions you have now about nutrition and to debunk false theories?

If you have not read this thread and the linked articles in it, I would recommend you do so. I respond to all those questions.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20265

The education is not about diets per see or who is right, it is about chemistry, biochemistry, organic chemistry, biology, microbiology, anatomy, physiology, etc etc that lay the foundation for you to go out and practice as you want to.

Remember, every leader in this field that you respect is a licensed credentialed health care professional with a traditional degree. It is of my opinion that if one wants to practice at any level as a health care professional, they need to get their proper training, education, certification and accreditation.

I am sure glad I did :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD