My sister is undergoing radiation therapy and has mouth sore

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby margiereilly » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:08 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for something to help my sister with the ulcerated mouth sores she is experiencing with her radiation therapy? She is undergoing radiation for five weeks(on week number three) on her sinus cavity and has developed painful mouth sores which make it difficult to eat.

She has no appetite, finds it hard to speak with the mouth sores. I would be so grateful if anyone had some suggestions. I suggested baby food for her. She truly has lost interest in food but is still working and needs to keep up her strenghth.
Look upon yourself as a tree planted beside the water, which bears its fruit in due season; the more it is shaken by the wind, the deeper it strikes its roots into the ground.

Margaret Mary Alacoque
margiereilly

Postby hope101 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:40 pm

There is a mouthrinse that might help to relieve pain. I have forgotten the name of it, but her oncologist should know. There is a rinse people can use that has a bit of lidocaine in it to numb the pain, some antifungal and antibacterial properties. It can be used only the rinse and spit.

If you are looking for food ideas, you might look at the list of food suggestions for dental work that was on here earlier. I would think a smoothy with some nut butter for extra calories with soy milk and fruits might go down a little easier. If she isn't eating much you want it to be very nutrient dense. So sorry to hear she is going through that.
hope101

Postby Elli » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:51 pm

Hi Margie, I'm so sorry to hear what your sister is going through. My mum went through chemo last year and also had very bad mouth sores after the first treatment. She was then told to suck on ice cubes while the chemo was being injected and for a little while after too I think. (She was also given some liquid to dab on the sores to numb them, but that didn't help a lot.) Anyway, the ice cubes worked like a charm, as long as she munched on them all through the treatment. I have no idea if this would work with radiation treatments, but it might be worth asking her doctor about it. Best wishes for you and your sister.
HTH, Elli
Elli

chemo - mouth sores

Postby kabocha » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:55 pm

Dear margiereilly,

Traditional Chinese herbal medicine has formulas that very successfully treat the side effects of chemotherapy, when prescribed according to a very individualized diagnosis by an experienced practitioner.

kabocha
kabocha

Postby kabocha » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:58 pm

Sorry - I forgot to say it treats the side effects of both chemo AND radiation.
kabocha

Postby margiereilly » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:35 pm

Thank all of you for your suggestions. I will let her know. Knowledge is power. Debora is only 54 years old and is working really hard at beating this cancer which is extremely rare: neuroendocrine big cell carcinoma.

She resides in the small town of Lompoc, CA but there are larger cities nearby where she might find a Chinese herbalist practicioner if she is so inclined to pursue that route.

Thanks again and I am open to your input.
Look upon yourself as a tree planted beside the water, which bears its fruit in due season; the more it is shaken by the wind, the deeper it strikes its roots into the ground.

Margaret Mary Alacoque
margiereilly

Evidence for effectiveness of Chinese-medicine formulas?

Postby Burgess » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:27 am

kabocha wrote:Traditional Chinese herbal medicine has formulas that very successfully treat the side effects of chemotherapy, when prescribed according to a very individualized diagnosis by an experienced practitioner.

What scientific evidence shows the effectiveness of these formulas?
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby groundhogg » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:45 am

I hope she is better soon. Someone here at work had the same situation going on...I don't know how she dealt with it, but she's much better now.

As to the scientific proof of traditional Chinese herbal formulas working...

it is very unfortunate that most "scientific studies" of which drugs are effective for what is conducted by drug industry or others who have the money and have the reason to take the time and spend the money, i.e., to promote a LOT more money coming in as a result of publishing "certain" findings they manage to procure from their cleverly calculated studies.

It's become my own opinion that these days very much of the "science" has been tainted by greed and disregard for the consumer or patient, depending on whether we're talking about safe foods or safe/effective drugs.

One thing that the traditional Chinese herbs have in their favor is a 5,000 + year history of anecdotal evidence--whereas allopathic medicine has less than 200 years...and is now the 3rd leading cause of death in the United States, according to T. Colin Campbell, among others.

So, if I knew that the person or organization formulating the Chinese herbs was properly taught the principles, I would assume most of that to be at least as safe and effective as anything that comes in a bottle, with or without a prescription...and maybe even BETTER.

The bottom line, though, when eating any food or using any drug or herb, is to listen to your body...and if it says GO, then do it, if it says NO, then drop it.
groundhogg

Evidence for Chinese herbal medicine's effectiveness

Postby kabocha » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:51 am

Most of the research papers are in Chinese, as yet untranslated. But here are a few references I found on the Web:

Radiation SE treated by Chinese herbal medicine
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _n16702336

Integrated treatment
http://www.townsendletter.com/June2004/ ... ne0604.htm

National Institutes of Health funded research in progress
http://health.yahoo.com/topic/cancer/tr ... 98C2DA3ADE

Best wishes,
kabocha
kabocha

Chinese Medicine Effectiveness with Radiation Therapy

Postby margiereilly » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:41 pm

Kabocha:

Thanks so much for the research. My sister has had to discontinue her radiation eleven sessions short of the goal for now. She got dehydrated, can no longer work and will have to get IV therapy to keep her nutrition up for now.

She does have access to a woman who is schooled in traditional Chinese medicine. I will copy some of the remarks from the articles referenced and send it on for her to check with her physicians and herbalist.

Right now, she is so very sick and weak and I am doing the research for her that she has no strenghth to do herself. I do so appreciate anyone who has constructive comments. Thanks to all.

Margaret Mary Alacoque
margiereilly

Postby groundhogg » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:09 am

It's nice she has you to help her out.

I guess you are trying to see that she makes wise choices, as much as possible, with her diet, too. Juicing lots of carrots and fresh fruits might be helpful for getting tons of antioxidants.

Hope she is feeling better before long.
groundhogg

Postby margiereilly » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 am

Thanks, groundhog. I actually remember meeting a 7th Day Adventist Lady who kicked breast cancer by drinking two glasses of organic carrot juice a day. She had refused chemo and radiation. I will see if my sister can tolerate vegetable juice.

Once again, I am open to all suggestions. One never knows which one will help her..Thanks.

Margaret Mary Alacoque
margiereilly

Return to Health Issues