Psoriasis

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Psoriasis

Postby Tracy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:43 pm

I have been struggling with psoriasis on my elbows and one knee for over 3 years now. I cannot seem to connect it to anything that I am eating. It does seem to flare up under times of stress, though.

I am just curious what you, Jeff, might know about the cause of psoriasis or how to get it cleared up. Is there a connection between food and it?

I would love anyone else's opinions too.

Thanks!
Tracy

Postby KT » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:23 am

Google "psoriasis and gluten sensitivity" and you'll find some information. I don't have any personal experience with this, but I've been reading about gluten, and psoriasis is a subject that keeps coming up.
KT

Postby pinemeadows » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:29 pm

I have psoriasis and a mild case of psoriatic arthritis. Both are worsened by either gluten or wheat. I have found some lessening of symptoms by just giving up gluten, but lately neither affliction seems to ever go away completely.
pinemeadows

Postby Tracy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:02 pm

Actually I have eaten gluten free for over 12 years now so I know it isn't that. I have wondered, though if it is DH from shampoos and lotions and things that might have gluten in them. I will have to look at the things I use.
Tracy

Postby duke » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:37 pm

I have had Psoriasis and PA for 10 years actually 11 now.I have given up or ate very little gluten, nightshade vegetables and also sugar and corn in the past two years. I have found that if I eat white potatoes 2 or 3 at a time I will have pain the next day. Tomato sauce burns going down so I don't eat that anymore due to gastritis.

Overall my health is better without the sugar, I use fruit juice sweetened cereal. But as far as the Psoriasis, it hasn't got worse and I have much less itching, but it has not completely gone away. Be very careful about psoriasis cure ads especially on the internet. I belong to the National Psoriasis Foundation and their web site is full of scams on the boards.

Good Luck,

Duke
duke

gluten again

Postby pinemeadows » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:42 pm

Deb, do you eat wheat? I'm curious if your dramatic improvement occurred while you were eating gluten. If you did, and still cleared, I'm tempted to try it myself to see what happens.

I figured dairy had something to do with it though....and fatty foods too.

I've had it for a long time - and every thing I've ever tried, works....for about 15 minutes. :? (Also have noticed that it may or may not work the second time around.)
pinemeadows

Re: Psoriasis

Postby JeffN » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:34 am

Tracy wrote:I have been struggling with psoriasis on my elbows and one knee for over 3 years now. I cannot seem to connect it to anything that I am eating. It does seem to flare up under times of stress, though.

I am just curious what you, Jeff, might know about the cause of psoriasis or how to get it cleared up. Is there a connection between food and it?

I would love anyone else's opinions too.

Thanks!

Greetings,

One of the theories on the cause of psorias is that it is an auto-immune related condition.

Therefore, the principles and guidelines recommended here will be helpful. How much so will depend on the person, the specifics of their situation and the level of adherence they are willing to follow.

N C Med J. 1986 May;47(5):253-5. Disappearance of psoriatic lesions on the Rice Diet.

http://www.ricedietprogram.com/graphics ... esions.pdf

You may have to experiment with a strict elimination diet to see exactly which foods effect you and which do not. This may take some time and effort but may be well worth the investment.

You may benefit from reading how making such an effort helped someone with a similar auto-immune related disorder.

http://drmcdougall.com/stars/burgess_laughlin.html

Keep us posted.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby pjh139 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:29 am

Mine is directly stress related. When one of my major stressors left my life in the 90s mine vanished overnight. However when another major stressor appeared it returned. In cleaning out the house I found some tar soap and simply decided to use it up instead of throw it out. The areas started to heal and the red vanished. All that is left is scarring. I recently tore my Achilles tendon [4.3 cm] and the next morning the entire area was covered as if I had a sock on.

In my case it isn't diet. It is stress. If it doesn't show any other way and I'm not aware of it, my body will tell me. Diet doesn't do a thing for it. I wish it did. That would actually be easier to handle than locating the stressor and handling that.
pjh139

New information....

Postby f1jim » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:20 pm

From the April issue of Archives of Dermatology:

http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=626254

f1jim
f1jim

Return to Jeff Novick, RD