A Simple Nutrititious & Affordable Plan (SNAP)

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

A Simple Nutrititious & Affordable Plan (SNAP)

Postby JeffN » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Greetings Everyone,

As I watched the stock market crashing this morning, I was spending one of those rare days in the kitchen and thinking about my list of "Healthy Packaged Foods" and my "Basic Recipe(s)" template that I have posted and thinking about something new to write about.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7168

So, I decided to see how much I could simplify this program while reducing the cost and optimizing the nutritional value of it.

The Simplicity

Lunch

1 28 oz Can Whole Tomatoes (no salt added)
1 16 oz Bag Mixed Frozen Vegetables
4 oz Frozen Chopped Collard Greens
1/2 Large Bag Success Instant Brown Rice

This took about 10 minutes to make, only because the rice takes 10 minutes to make. I put the tomatoes and the veggies in a pot and as soon as the rice was done, i added it.

I then made this again for dinner.

Dinner

1 28 oz Can Whole Tomatoes (no salt added)
1 16 oz Bag Mixed Frozen Vegetables
4 oz Frozen Chopped Collard Greens
1/2 Large Bag Success Instant Brown Rice

Of course, I could have made a double bath at once.

Time involved to cook and prepare is 10-20 minutes maximum. If I cooked one batch for the day, the total cooking and prep time is 10 minutes.

If you wanted, you could add whatever spices and/or seasonings you prefer. I added a little Mrs Dash, Table Blend.

Satiety

I could barely finish the amount that each batch made for each meal. So, I ate 2 large bowls from each batch for each meal and had about 1-1.5 large bowls left over from each batch to have as a snack in between meals. For those who like 3 meals, that is the same as 3 large meals.

It is an enormous amount of food.

The Affordability

The Tomatoes were 2 for $3.00 but that is for an imported Italian brand I buy which happens to be no salt added. If I used the Publix brand, they were 1.29 each and if I use the Costco 102 oz cans, it comes to .60 per 28 oz. So, by shopping at Costco, the cost of the tomatoes to $1.20 a day.

The mixed vegetables were .83 cents a pound though the collards were slightly more but do not have to be used. So, at .83 cents per pound, the veggies for the day come to $2.08

I pay around $3 for the larger box of Success Instant Brown Rice which contains 4 bags so 1 bag is .75 cents. However, if I bought the regular brown rice at Public, it would come be just about half price and be .40 for the day. I didnt see any at Costco today so it may even go cheaper.

I also checked potatoes and they were 5 lbs for 1.99 at Public. To substitute the same amount of potatoes for the rice would be about the same as the bulk rice.

Tomatoes... $1.20
Veggies .... $2.08
Rice.... $0.40

Total Price for the day $3.68

The Nutritional Value
(From The CRON-O-Meter)

The percentages (%) are of the RDA/DRI

General

Calories 1513
Protein / 59.4 g / 108%
Carbs /329.1 g
Fiber /71.5 g
Fat /9.6 g

Without Flax/With Flax
Protein 13%/(13)
Carbohydraye 82%/(81%)
Fat 5% / (7%)

Vitamins
Vitamin A | 65584.7 IU / 2186%
Folate | 490.2 µg / 123%
B1 (Thiamine) | 2.0 mg / 167%
B2 (Riboflavin) | 2.3 mg / 180%
B3 (Niacin) | 29.2 mg / 182%
B5 (Pantothenic Acid)| 5.1 mg/ 103%
B6 (Pyridoxine) | 3.5 mg / 271%
Vitamin C | 235.8 mg / 262%
Vitamin E | 17.2 mg / 114%
Vitamin K | 1671.0 µg / 1393%

Minerals
Calcium | 1247.5 mg / 125%
Copper | 2.5 mg / 282%
Iron | 27.6 mg / 345%
Magnesium | 687.9 mg / 164%
Manganese | 11.4 mg / 494%
Phosphorus | 1297.4 mg / 185%
Potassium | 5294.0 mg / 113%
Selenium | 65.0 µg / 118%
Sodium | 609.6 mg 122%
Zinc | 10.8 mg / 98%

Lipids
Saturated | 1.7 g
Omega-3 | 0.6 g /(1.7)
Omega-6 | 3.2 g /(3.5)
Cholesterol | 0.0 mg

While the Omega 3 may seem low, it is over the estimated minimal need. However, just adding in 2 tsp's of ground flaxseed would raise the omega 3 to 1.7 and the omega 6 to 3.5. The omega 3 would then pass the AI set by the NAS and the ratio of onega 6 to omega 3 would be a 2 to 1. if you add 3 tsps, the omega 3 would be 2.2, which would now surpass the recommend amount set by the NIH, the Omega 6 would 3.6 and the ratios still under 2 to 1. The cost to do this would be pennies.

The calories are 1513, and 1553 with the Flax so each "batch" is about 750 depending on the starch used. If you wanted, you could add in a piece or two of fruit which would raise the calories about 60 calories for each serving.

The only remaining issue would be Vit D and Vit B12, which we have thoroughly covered in this forum.

For Those Who Are Not Perfect

I ran the numbers again using un-enriched instant white rice. :)

General
Energy | 1497.0 kcal
Protein | 57.3 g 104%
Carbs | 316.4 g
Fiber | 64.5 g
Fat | 6.0 g

Vitamins
Vitamin A | 62481.6 IU 2083%
Folate | 460.5 µg 115%
B1 (Thiamine) | 1.8 mg 148%
B2 (Riboflavin) | 2.2 mg 173%
B3 (Niacin) | 31.0 mg 194%
B5 (Pantothenic Acid)| 5.0 mg 99%
B6 (Pyridoxine) | 3.4 mg 260%
Vitamin C | 228.6 mg 254%
Vitamin E | 16.7 mg 111%
Vitamin K | 1499.3 µg 1249%

Minerals
Calcium | 1222.3 mg 122%
Copper | 2.3 mg 252%
Iron | 26.0 mg 325%
Magnesium | 470.9 mg 112%
Manganese | 7.6 mg 329%
Phosphorus | 1065.2 mg 152%
Potassium | 5240.1 mg 111%
Selenium | 51.3 µg 93%
Sodium | 576.3 mg 115%
Zinc | 8.8 mg 80%

Lipids
Saturated | 1.0 g
Omega-3 | 0.5 g
Omega-6 | 1.7 g
Cholesterol | 0.0 mg

:)

The only issues now is the zinc, which we covered in another forum and could easily be met with some minor adjustments. However, I am not recommending white rice, just using it as an example to show the difference between the two.

Not bad!

See?

Following this program can be a real SNAP!

In Health
Jeff

PS here is the Amino Acid profile

First the RDA for adults 19 and over

14 mg/kg/d of histidine
19 mg/kg/d of isoleucine
42 mg/kg/d of leucine
38 mg/kg/d of lysine
19 mg/kg/d of methionine + cysteine
33 mg/kg/d of phenylalanine + tyrosine
20 mg/kg/d of threonine
5 mg/kg/d of tryptophan
24 mg/kg/d of valine

Which for 70 kg Adult is

.98 gms of histidine
1.33 gms of isoleucine
2.94 gms of leucine
2.66 gms of lysine
1.33 gms of methionine + cysteine
2.31 gms of phenylalanine + tyrosine
1.4 gms of threonine
.350 gms of tryptophan
1.68 gms of valine

The above diet surpasses everyone of these numbers as follows

1.4 gms of histidine
2.5 gms of isoleucine
3.8 gms of leucine
2.9 gms of lysine
1.5 gms of methionine + cysteine
4.2 gms of phenylalanine + tyrosine
2.5 gms of threonine
.7 gms of tryptophan
2.8 gms of valine
JeffN

Postby KareninTN » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Is this "Jeff's Mini?" :D

Seriously, this sort of dish ought to be demonstrated at the McD programs along with all the fancy stuff. People who are intimidated and overwhelmed by recipes in the back of McD books (I can't be the only one!) need to see how simple it CAN be, if you want it to be.

Karen
KareninTN

Truly Amazing Jeff

Postby sbkris » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:40 am

Now can you do that without tomatoes? Don't like tomatoes all that much :) What happened to the beans which were in the original formula in the link?

Would be fun to have a contest who can come up with the cheapest, fastest meals...oh yeah, and healthiest.
sbkris

Postby Starchyme » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:54 am

That one recipe would be at least 3 meals for me! I'll give it a try.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby JeffN » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:40 am

OK, I have experimented some more with the concept and here is my updated "guidelines"

1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

This makes one meal of about 600-650 calories. Add in 1-2 tsp of flax and a couple pieces of fruit during the day or as a dessert if desired. You can repeat the process 2-3x a day for a simple meal plan of around 1300-1950 calories.

This will surpass every single RDA/DRI for every nutrient. The only ones that may occasionally look slightly low (85-95%) will be Zinc, Selenium and Vit E, all of which will not be issues and have been covered in this forum.

As some of you have mentioned, this is a large volume of food. But, what better problem to have then to have SO MUCH food to eat and enjoy!

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

I just made it again for lunch with potatoes, collards and a mix of California style frozen veggies. :)

Enjoy!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:43 am

KareninTN wrote:Is this "Jeff's Mini?" :D

Seriously, this sort of dish ought to be demonstrated at the McD programs along with all the fancy stuff. People who are intimidated and overwhelmed by recipes in the back of McD books (I can't be the only one!) need to see how simple it CAN be, if you want it to be.

Karen

I agree.

While many want the fancy and gourmet recipes and dishes, and the chefs do a wonderful job demonstrating them, there are those who want to see how simple and easy it can be done. Personally, I think it is the key to l/t success for many as most to not have the time or skill for the fancier stuff.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Truly Amazing Jeff

Postby JeffN » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:45 am

sbkris wrote:Now can you do that without tomatoes? Don't like tomatoes all that much :)

Just pick any other veggie you like and substitute it in. :)

sbkris wrote:What happened to the beans which were in the original formula in the link?

The mixed vegetables I used above contain lima beans so they aree part of the mix. In the original, I used a vegetable mix without beans, so added 1 can (1.25 cup cooked) beans to the recipe.

sbkris wrote:Would be fun to have a contest who can come up with the cheapest, fastest meals...oh yeah, and healthiest.

I agree. Anyone who wants to "play" feel free to jump in. The goal is to be able to get in enough calories, meet all nutrient needs and do it as cheaply as possible using readily available food and pricing.

Go for it!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Letha » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:06 pm

So my SNAP came out good today so I thought I’d share. In addition to this recipe, split between lunch, dinner, and a snack, I had oatmeal for breakfast, and I’ll likely also have a banana sometime today.

SNAP – Black Bean Chili 9000

1 can of Black Beans, drained
1 can diced Tomatoes
1 lb bag of frozen peppers and onions
1 lb bag of frozen corn, broccoli, & peppers
2 cups water
2 Tablespoons Penzy’s Chili 9000 seasoning
2 cups of Minute Brown Rice

Combine all ingredients except rice in pot. Simmer 5 minutes. Add rice and simmer another five minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Serve.
Letha

Postby ladynnred1 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:57 am

Completely by coincidence, I have been doing precisely this over the last couple of weeks, adding only some low-salt soy sauce. It's relatively easy to transport frozen veg begs and rice to my office where I have a microwave available. I'm finding it tres satisfying. Haven't seen a lot of weight loss but am satisfied, happy, and feeling healthy.

Is there more to life?
Cynthia
ladynnred1

Postby Starchyme » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:08 am

JeffN wrote:
HealthE1 wrote:That one recipe would be at least 3 meals for me! I'll give it a try.

The one recipe would be only 800 calories and not enough for most people. You would have to eat more or add in some more calorie dense foods.

Could be a good problem to have! :)

In Health
Jeff

Oh, no concern about my filling in with more stuff throughout the day, like salads and fruits. I was just saying as an entree, with the size of the cans you used, it would be more than just one meal.

The black bean recipe, by the way, looks really good. I'm going to try it tomorrow.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby toadfood » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Letha I love your recipe and photos -- you must really like Yogi Tea! :-D

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby mtraezme » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:26 pm

Thanks for this thread Jeff. Sometimes we know what we should be eating, but, as Karen said, we get overwhelmed by the recipes.

Thanks for the photo Letha, it inspired me to try the recipe because it looked so good. I made it by tossing some frozen veggies in a pot with some crushed tomatoes with chile and cilantro (Mexican style crushed tomatoes I think is what they were called). When the veggies got hot, I added some cold rice from the fridge and a little bit of cayenne and cumin. I then put a few scoops of it onto shredded cabbage and fennel that I found in the veggie drawer. It barely took any time at all, was really good, and so filling! I'm definitely going to be making this at least once a week from now on. I forwarded the recipe thread and picture to my parents so they can add it to their McDougall recipes.

Ezme
mtraezme

Loved the photo

Postby Riva » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:54 pm

Letha, I loved the photo!

Jeff - thanks for the easy food recipe ideas.

Here is what I did today in a pressure cooker (electric):

1 cup of dried beans
1 kale chopped up
2 cups of fresh shitake mushrooms
4 carrots cut up
one onion cut in big chunks
lots of garlic
one sweet potato peeled and cut in large chunks

cooked on high pressure for 25 minutes and with natural release.
Hmmm, I can see this doesn't qualify as so easy as the frozen foods but it was so so good and we will have it for lunch and dinner for 3-4 days.
Riva
Riva

This is a God-send

Postby mikeupnorth » Wed May 06, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks so much for sharing this, Jeff.

I've been eating McDougall style for a little while now and am enjoying many of the recipes. I'm printing out the ones I like and making my own little cookbook.

But I have also felt overwhelmed. Before I embarked on this dietary journey I wasn't much of a cook, but I'm learning. I'm spending tons of time in the kitchen -- an hour or two a night, plus cleanup time. This can be a good thing, but after a long day of work, it can get tedious. And when I start feeling pressed for time, the first thing to get chucked is the time at the gym or the walk or the bike ride. So I'm eating better but sometimes my day just gets too full to put in all the great things I want to do.

And a $30 a week grocery bill would be a welcome change, too!

I'm going to poke around and try to find several recipes like this that are simple, filling, healthy and with a large volume -- and try to simplify my life for a couple of weeks.
mikeupnorth

Postby Jackie J » Wed May 13, 2009 11:28 am

Hi Jeff,
Forgive me if you 've answered this in another thread, but do you not eat breakfast? If you do, what do you eat? Also, in the updated recipe post, the calories for each recipe was about 600-650 but in the original post the total calories for the day from eating two recipes is 1513. That doesn't add up.
Thanks so much
Jackie J

Next

Return to Jeff Novick, RD