Quick Recipes (With Pictures)

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Quick Recipes (With Pictures)

Postby JeffN » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:50 am

Ok, several of you have been asking for the "quick recipes" that I have discussed in my talks at the McDougall Programs.

So, here they are.. :)

Realize I do not measure and weigh food, so I do not have "exact" recipes and encourage you to adapt these to your own liking. All dishes about 800-850 calories and make up enough for 2- 3 meals and can easily be refrigerated and/or frozen for later use. Ore importantly, they are all about 400 cal/lb or less and are all low in calorie density, high in nutrient density and high in satiety so you can fill up for few calories. They consist of 5 basic ingredients and all meals can be cooked in around 5-15 minutes from start to end. All are prepared in a large pasta "style" pot. I think mine is an 7 or 8 qt.

The 5 main ingredients.

1) Canned Tomatoes (whole and/or diced), No Salt Added, 28 oz.

2) Canned Beans, No Salt Added (Eden Foods are my favorite), 14 oz

3) Frozen Vegetables (individual and/or variety mixes without any of the sauce/spice packs), 1 lb

4) A Cooked Starchy Vegetables (brown rice, potato, sweet potato, barley, etc), 1-2 cups (~200-250 calories)

5) Spice/Seasoning, 1 tbsp dried.

By changing the type of bean, type of vegetables, the type of starch and the seasoning, you can come up with different dishes. I make everything salt free and no salt added. You are welcome to sprinkle some salt on top at the table before eating.

(All the recipes below all make a double batch.)

Dish 1 - Curried Indian Potato Stew

1) 2 cans whole tomatoes
2)2 cans Garbanzo Beans
3) Frozen Cauliflower (1- 1 1/2 lb) , peas (1/2 lb), onions (1/4-1/2 pound)
4) 2 -3 med potatoes
5) Salt Free Curry spice mix

Microwave the potatoes. While they are zapping, put all other ingredients in the pot and heat. When potatoes are done, cut into 1 inch pieces and add to pot. Simmer 5 minutes. Top with fresh cilantro Enjoy.

(can be served with brown rice which you can cook in 10 minutes while potatoes are cooking by using Success Brand Quick Cooking Brown Rice)

Dish 2- Mexican Beans and Rice

1) 2 cans whole tomatoes (or 1 can whole, 1 can diced)
2) 1 cans Pinto Beans, 1 can black beans
3) Birdseye Frozen Pepper and Onion Mix (1.5 lb), and Corn (1/2 lb)
4) 2 -2.5 cups Success Quick Cooking Brown Rice
5) Mexican Spice Mix, or Hot Sauce

Cook Brown rice. While brown rice is cooking, add all other ingredients to the pot and heat. When rice is done place rice in a bowl. Top with beans, veggie and tomato mix. Top with fresh cilantro Enjoy

Dish 3 - Italian Pasta Primavera

1) 1 Can whole tomatoes, 1 can diced tomato
2) 2 cans Dark Red Kidney Beans,
3) Frozen Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots (2 lbs total)
4) 2.5 - 3 cups Whole Grain Pasta
5) Italian Spice Mix

Cook Pasta. While pasta is cooking, put all other ingredients into large pot and heat. When pasta is done, rinse, and them mix together with the tomato vegetable mix. Top with fresh parsley or basil. Enjoy!

Dish 4 - Longevity Soup

1) 1 can whole tomatoes, 1 can diced
2) 2 cans of your favorite beans (I use kidney or garbanzo)
3) 1.5- 2 lbs of Your favorite frozen veggies plus 1 lb of frozen collards
4) 2-3 cups of Your favorite cooked starch (potato, sweet potato rice, barley)
5) your favorite seasoning (I use fresh ginger, garlic)

Place tomatoes in large pot. Add in 2 28 oz cans of water. Then add in all other ingredients. Bring to a boil and then simmer 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Dish 5 - New Orleans Jambalaya

1) 2 28oz can Whole Tomatoes (No Salt Added)
2) 2 cans 14oz can red beans or kidney beans (No Salt Added)
3) 2 lbs frozen Vegetables, corn, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash (equal parts)
4) 2 -2.5 cups Success Quick Cooking Brown rice
5) Spice mix

Cook Brown Rice (Success Quick Cooking), While rice is cooking, place tomatoes, and veggies in pot and heat. Add in 4 cloves garlic, diced, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 tsp thyme, 4 tsp paprika, .25 to .5 tsp cayenne pepper. And heat.

When rice is done, place in a bowl and serve tomato vegetable mix on top.

Good luck.

Remember, there are no rules. The main issue is that they can all be made simple and inexpensively in 10-15 minutes with almost no preparation, cutting, chopping, dicing, or much of a clean up.

If you try them and have ways to improve them, feel free to share them here.

Thanks

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Recipes

Postby SueZQuilter » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:48 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for posting these recipes...I too have been awaiting their appearance.

Also, thank you Zena for remembering to ask Jeff about the bars/cookies that he talked about during our 10-day program.
Take good care,

Sue D.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Unknown.
SueZQuilter

Thanks Jeff!

Postby Becky » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:20 pm

That was very helpful!!
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby bcmike » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:19 am

Morning,
Can someone tell me where i can find the salt free spice mixes ? I'm in nyc and can't seem to find them. Any particular brand ?
thx
Mike
bcmike

Postby Starchyme » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:19 am

I, too, would like to know where to find the salt-free spices. I'm particulary interested in finding out about the Indian spices.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby JeffN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:52 am

Most all spice companies make salt-free spices these days. These include McCormicks, Spice Island, Mrs Dash, Spice Hunter, etc etc

Sometimes they are not labeled as salt free, but you just have to read the ingredients.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/c-Salt_Free.html

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices-by- ... ree-blends

http://www.americanspice.com/catalog/se ... RCH_ENGINE

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Starchyme » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 am

Thanks, Jeff.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby JeffN » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:27 am

Suebee wrote:This looks positively tasteless to me and tomatoes in everything! That's the problem with this program--like my cousin said who also tried it, what if tomatoes doesn't agree with you? Nor can I eat tons of vegetables that are hard to chew like corn which Dr. Mcdougall puts in a lot of his recipes. Everything a watery soup.

Thanks for your comments.

As they say, looks can be deceiving. :)

The above recipes were not listed as examples of fine gourmet dining, but instead, examples of a few recipes I use on a regular basis due to their convenience, simplicity and nutritional value. In addition, they are delicious and can be adjusted accordingly to someones personal taste by adjusting the ingredients and/or spices/seasonings, which I encourage people to do.

For the record, I have served the above dishes many times for people from all walks of life and dietary preferences who have thoroughly enjoyed them.

For someone who does not like a particular vegetable (tomato, corn), there are 100's of not 1000's of recipes available to them. Also, there is no one specific ingredient that is required to be included in any recipes.

With all due respect to your cousin, to dismiss the program over one individual food or ingredient really says more about the person dismissing the program then the program itself. Most likely the person had little interest in the program or being successful on it.

Humans are creatures of habit. When you look at the typical unhealthy diet of most people, they have found a few foods and ingredients that they like and consume these frequently in different recipes and meals on an ongoing basis. By switching our habits from unhealthy to healthy ones, we understand a simple trick on how to be successful.

Would you like to share some of your favorite "healthy" recipes?

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Suebee » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:01 am

Well I'll share you. Sorry I guess I'm just in a bad mood. My husband won't eat the way I want to eat and wouldn't like the above recipes. So I'm forced to cook two ways and no, it's not a matter of just "adding meat" to his food.
Yesterday I made red lentil stew--which was garlic, white onions, carrots, celery, red lentils, vegan bouillon cube, cordiander, fresh ginger grated, a dash of red vinegar, a teaspoon (approx) of agave syrup. Also added a Frontier Herbs mix of "curry powder" but these are much fresher than a supermarket envelope called "indian spice mix." As above, I try to add in as fresh ingredients as possible when it comes to spices.
I also like miso soup, using white miso, seaweed, carrots, cubes of tofu, onions, other fresh veggies I have on hand. Served with hijiki seaweed, that has a dash (I mean a dash of hot red pepper sesame oil at the end for flavor), cooked with onions and carrots, brown rice vinegar, mirin, and a little sweetener. Also brown rice mixed with wild/wehani rice and then added chopped chestnuts. Usually these foods are also served with addiitonal fresh vegetables, such as steamed broccoli and squash.
You are right Jeff--I guess I like my food a bit fancy! And yes, they are time-consuming! This was about fast foods, which I guess is the problem for me--nothing fast tastes right to me. My own dilemma!
Suebee

Postby eaufraiche703 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:19 am

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, Jeff!
eaufraiche703

Jeff's "Quick Recipes" makes the news...

Postby Clary » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:49 am

JeffN wrote:Ok, several of you have been asking for the "quick recipes" that I have discussed in my talks at the McDougall Programs.

So, here they are.. :)

Jeff's "Quick Recipes" makes the NEWS. :thumbsup:

"My friend and colleague, Jeff Novick, a dietician and nutritionist, came up with a foolproof formula for making a variety of soups in just five easy steps:....
http://sonomasun.thmm.com/?p=6593
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Simple foods

Postby auntemmy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:04 am

Jeff thanks for the Quick Meals post. Perfect basic recipes to be used as is, or embellished with ones favorite spices and veggies. With regard to "fancy" food, I love it but the more simply I eat, the quicker I'm satisfied. More satisfaction means less scrounging around later (for food).....
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

Holy Cow!

Postby Mober » Fri May 29, 2009 7:33 pm

I like veggies and starches so I mostly don't have a huge problem w. the diet, but I gotta say I been waiting for it to be "good". You know what I mean if you were a previous carnivore. In 5.5 years the only keeper recipe I have had has been the Ornish Bean Enchiladas. I made your Mexican rice and beans tonight. I used 2 cans roma tomatoes cut up, 2 cans black beans, bearitos taco seasoning, 4 servings cooked brown rice, 0.5 lb corn and since my wife couldn't find the peppers and onion mix, she got me a 1 lb pepper mix (red and green -- very colorful) and a jar of hot jalepenos, which I used half. I added about 1c water. And I gotta say this may be the best thing I have ever cooked. It was like a good gumbo. Hot and colorful and with a "chew". Thanks for the idea!
Mober

Postby susie » Sat May 30, 2009 10:02 pm

I was very dubious when I read the snap recipes. Yesterday I decided to give it a go and as I was cleaning out my fridge it seemed like a good idea.
I tossed 1 can of tomatoes into my rice cooker and added some chopped fresh veggies, half a bag of frozen veg, some chopped fresh greens and 1.25 cups of precooked brown rice. I added some chilli flakesand some stock powder. It was delicious and I had leftovers.Now I think I should toss the leftovers out because they were part of yesterdays meal, lol.

I have some peas soup in the fridge and today I will use that for my 250 calories of starch.

The good part is that this meal covered all my nutritional requirements without having to eat lots of beans. I really don't like large beans at all.
susie

Postby JeffN » Sun May 31, 2009 6:03 pm

I have been posting pictures of my simple recipes that I am making each day on my Facebook page.

You can see them here..

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 7550385124

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Next

Return to Jeff Novick, RD