Nutritional yeast?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Nutritional yeast?

Postby Golden Ghost » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Jeff, can you give me the good and bad on nutritional yeast? I see some recipes calling for it to give them a cheese flavor.
Golden Ghost

Re: Nutritional yeast?

Postby JeffN » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:29 pm

Golden Ghost wrote:Jeff, can you give me the good and bad on nutritional yeast? I see some recipes calling for it to give them a cheese flavor.

Sure,

Nutritional yeast is often used by vegans and vegetarians because it is thought to be a good source of B vitamins and protein and some think of it as a good source of B12 and as you mentioned, it is also often used as a cheese substitute in some recipes. Some people even use it in a shaker as a Parmesan cheese substitute.

There is only one (or maybe two) versions of it that may actually have B12 added to them, but I do not consider it a reliable source of B12 due to other issues involved in the way it is handled.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22533

I do not think it is a necessary addition to the diet as a healthy diet is not deficient in B vitamins or protein.

However, if you find it useful, I would think of it as a condiment and not a "food" and use it sparingly if at all.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby McBastard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks very much for all the info, Jeff.

Regards.
"Veganism is in truth an affirmation that where love is, exploitation vanishes." - Leslie Cross
Abolitionist Approach to Animal Rights - > http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/
Watch Earthlings: http://freedocumentaries.org/film.php?id=119
McBastard

Return to Jeff Novick, RD