ImmunoCAP allergy testing/diabetes question

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

ImmunoCAP allergy testing/diabetes question

Postby momof4 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:06 pm

This appears to be a new blood test to detect IgE antibodies, and I'm wondering if Jeff (or anyone else here) has any experience or information on it. It's not available in my state, so I'd have to print out the info for our dr and I want to make sure it's worth it.

Several of my children have eczema, and though I'm suspecting dairy, it's extremely difficult to do an elimination with them. I'm thinking if we had a lab report that said there was a definite allergy, then it would be much easier to keep out of their diet (instead of it being their crazy vegan mom's idea...)--I'd have "hard evidence," so to speak, to convince them and others.

Also, what information is there about dairy allergies and type 1 diabetes? Has there been enough research to say, "x% of people have a dairy allergy, x% w/T1D have a dairy allergy, and therefore if you have a dairy allergy, your chances of getting T1D is x%?" etc? Thanks!
momof4

Re: ImmunoCAP allergy testing/diabetes question

Postby JeffN » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:46 am

momof4 wrote:This appears to be a new blood test to detect IgE antibodies, and I'm wondering if Jeff (or anyone else here) has any experience or information on it. It's not available in my state, so I'd have to print out the info for our dr and I want to make sure it's worth it.

Several of my children have eczema, and though I'm suspecting dairy, it's extremely difficult to do an elimination with them. I'm thinking if we had a lab report that said there was a definite allergy, then it would be much easier to keep out of their diet (instead of it being their crazy vegan mom's idea...)--I'd have "hard evidence," so to speak, to convince them and others.

Also, what information is there about dairy allergies and type 1 diabetes? Has there been enough research to say, "x% of people have a dairy allergy, x% w/T1D have a dairy allergy, and therefore if you have a dairy allergy, your chances of getting T1D is x%?" etc? Thanks!

Greetings,

I am not a fan of these tests as they are not very accurate. You can read more about my opinion here..

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6102

However, in regard to the situation you described above, you do not have to go through the process of doing a full elimination diet (or allergy testing) as your main concern is one food, which we already know is highly reactive and implicated in this situation. As you may know, there are many health professionals, myself included, that beleive dairy is the single worst food humans could be consuming and the one food we would all eliminate from the food supply if we could.

A full elimination diet does take time and effort because it is a slow process. However, in regard to eczema, there is enough evidence to just encourage any parent to just begin by eliminating dairy.

Yimyaem P. Gastrointestinal manifestations of cow's milk protein allergy during the first year of life. J Med Assoc Thai. 2003 Feb;86(2):116-23.

Tikkanen S. Status of children with cow's milk allergy in infancy by 10 years of age. Acta Paediatr. 2000 Oct;89(10):1174-80.

And...

Oranje AP, Wolkerstorfer A, et al Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2002 Dec;89(6 Suppl 1):52-5. Natural course of cow's milk allergy in childhood atopic eczema/dermatitis syndrome.

OBJECTIVE: This review was undertaken to determine the role of adverse reactions to bovine proteins in atopic dermatitis, recently called atopic eczema/dermatitis syndrome (AEDS). DATA SOURCES: A PubMed literature search was conducted with use of the following phrases: atopic dermatitis and food allergy, atopic dermatitis and cow's milk, and cow's milk and eczema. STUDY SELECTION: The authors' judgment and personal interest guided the literature selection. RESULTS: Food allergy has a role in at least 20% of the cases of AEDS in children younger than 4 years. Cow's milk is usually the first food given to an infant, and cow's milk hypersensitivity is often the first symptom of an atopic condition. Adverse reactions to cow's milk proteins are usually categorized as immunoglobulin (Ig)E-mediated or non-IgE-mediated cow's milk allergy and nonallergic hypersensitivity (intolerance); the symptoms do not allow differentiation of these entities. In patients with cow's milk allergy and AEDS, resolution occurs in 90% by the age of 4 years. Non-IgE-mediated cow's milk allergy often disappears before the age of 1 year. Associated reactions to other foods develop in approximately 45% of patients. Allergy to potential environmental inhalant allergens has been reported in up to 28% of patients by 3 years of age and up to 80% before puberty. After consumption of large amounts of cow's milk, 45% of 10-year-old children who had become tolerant of cow's milk, but also 15% of control subjects, still had gastrointestinal complaints. The presence of cow's milk allergy during infancy increases the risks for development of other food allergies, respiratory atopy, and persistence of AEDS. CONCLUSION: Adverse reactions to bovine proteins have an important role in AEDS. PMID: 12487205

Children and usually very vital and usually react very quickly. So, you can do a very simple experiment without having to be the "crazy vegan mom." Just eliminate dairy products for 2 weeks. You will more than likely see excellent results if you are thorough about the elimination (as dairy is hidden in many processed/packaged foods). In fact, you will most likely begin to see results within a few days to one week. Then you will know. However, to solidify the experiment, keep them off dairy for a few weeks and let things really begin to clear up. Then, put them back on their former typical dairy intake for a day or two or three and more than likely, you will see a return in symptoms. What more will you need?

While I always insist on good evidence and not anecdotal evidence, I thought I would share this story that is medically documented.

In 1985, I had similar experience with my sister, who at the time was in high school. My parents had thought I had gone on some crazy vegan diet (thanks to the McDougall Plan) and my sister, wanted to join me. However, they refused to allow her. They said that since i was 27, they could not stop me, but since she was 17, and living at home, they could stop her.

However, she had been being treated for severe allergies for most of her life, including getting weekly MD visits and shots, various medications, etc. And, her situation only continued to get worse. Eventually her doctors said she had become allergic to herself, she was becoming auto-immune and there would be little chance of her getting better. So, I asked my parents if they would agree to a 30 day experiment as my sister could not die from not having dairy for 30 days. So, they agreed. Within the first week she saw improvement and in the second week her allergies were mostly gone and by the end of the month, the results were clear. She was ecstatic and my mom was thrilled. The MD of course, said there was no relationship and he couldn't explain it though the results were clear

Now, my mom had become a strong supporter of my sister eliminating diary, no matter what. She didnt think of it as vegan, or a diet, or anything other than a medical and health solution to a condition that had cost her lots of $$$$, time and energy over the years in getting my sister treatments, that never worked.

My sister maintains the diet to this day, 100% and eventually found she had to eliminate gluten also. She is a surgeon, has a busy lifestyle, travels often and maintains a gluten/dairy free vegan diet. And, no more allergies.

The interesting part and what most convinced here was that after the first year or so, she went to college and eventually went out and had some "cheese" pizza's with her friends on several occasions. Her reactions to the cheese were so strong each time, that they convinced her to stay away from cheese and dairy for good.

After about a year or so, my mom was so impressed with the changes in my sisters health and well being that she also went on a 100% plant food diet (she never knew the word vegan) and remained on it for 15 years. It also lowered her weight, her BP and her blood sugar.

Also, it is important to understand that what you are doing is for the "health
of your children and not to indoctrinate them into some religion that has dietary restrictions. What we are discussing has absolutely nothing to do with the philosophy of veganism but is all about resolving a health and medical issue. We need to separate the nutritional, biochemical and physiological needs of the human body and the philosophical beliefs of some individuals. Dairy, is one of the leading allergens in the world.

Look at it this way, if the issue was a peanut allergy, and you had to eliminate peanuts, would anyone think of you as the crazy anti-peanut mom? And if they did, would you really care? :)

In regard to Dairy and type 1 diabetes, there is a large prospective study going on right now that should be done in the next year or so, that is closely looking at this issue and may be able to come up with some answers in relations to risks. I am sure as soon as the study is done, Dr McDougall will be reviewing the data in a newsletter.

In Health
Jeff

More info..

Kaczmarski M, Wasilewska J, Lasota M. Rocz Akad Med Bialymst. 2005;50:274-8. Hypersensitivity to hydrolyzed cow's milk protein formula in infants and young children with atopic eczema/dermatitis syndrome with cow's milk protein allergy.

Høst A, Halken S, Jacobsen HP, Christensen AE, Herskind AM, Plesner K. Clinical course of cow's milk protein allergy/intolerance and atopic diseases in childhood. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2002;13 Suppl 15:23-8.
JeffN

Postby momof4 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:33 am

Thanks, Jeff! I really appreciate your thoughtful and thorough reply!
momof4

Postby Driverdog » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks for sharing your story Jeff! What an amazing experience! It's so sad that your sister had to be sick for so long under a doctor's care, but it's truley wonderful that she has the answer, now.

Viva la veggies!
Driverdog

Return to Jeff Novick, RD