Brewers Yeast and Nutritional Yeast

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Brewers Yeast and Nutritional Yeast

Postby weaverinva » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Hi Jeff,

What do you have to say about brewers yeast? I mainly care about that.
Some in the nutrition industry say that 1Tbsp of brewers yeast per day helps with energy and balance of B vitamins. I eat lots of fruits and veggies though.

I read your other post on nutritional yeast from sometime back.

Any comparison wisdom would be appreciated...

Stay well, Mike
weaverinva

Re: Brewers Yeast and Nutritional Yeast

Postby JeffN » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:51 am

weaverinva wrote:Hi Jeff,

What do you have to say about brewers yeast? I mainly care about that.
Some in the nutrition industry say that 1Tbsp of brewers yeast per day helps with energy and balance of B vitamins. I eat lots of fruits and veggies though.

I read your other post on nutritional yeast from sometime back.

Any comparison wisdom would be appreciated...

Stay well, Mike

Hi Mike

Brewers yeast, which is different than Nutritional yeast, is often sold as a supplement usually as a rich source of B vitamins. Sometimes it is promoted to help with immunity, cholesterol levels, diabetes and weight loss but there is really little evidence to support this.

If you were to follow the dietary guidelines and principles recommended here, you will get in all your nutrients in the proper forms and in the proper balance. The only exception if you were a strict vegan is B12. While these yeasts are often promoted as a good source of B12, they are not considered a reliable source of B12.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22533

Anything that has calories in it, can say it is a good source of energy.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD