Accountability Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Accountability Journal

Postby taz432 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:10 pm

Well, it finally happened, I had cravings and went off plan a bit. I still stuck to the framework of what I've been eating, oatmeal, greens before meals and actual meals and some fruit. I had a stressful week and I can say it is probably all hormonal. But I have to figure out how to get around this and get back on track quickly. Even today I ate well until about 4 when I had some ice cream. I was also really tired and slept probably 12-2 so had a late lunch and that threw me off with getting too hungry.

It was great to see so many new people on the Oct MWL thread. I love reading those posts and these journals although I won't join MWL since I won't weigh myself. I'll see if my measurements changed at all next week. I hope all the people there have an easy time sticking to this plan and see changes to their health.

I'm trying to think of what I could do differently. It comes down to probably just having some chopped veg and sweet potato fries and fruit around, plus most importantly, sticking to mealtimes.

I'm pretty good with having veg before meals except breakfast, maybe I will start there also. I just realized after seeing the guidelines so many times that I should probably give up my morning cocoa. I make it really light with rice milk and water but it's still got some sugar in it. I started worrying earlier this week about nutrients and have got to read more about calcium and iron. I saw that I was a little low on those but had like 7000% of vitamin A. I don't know if that is normal. Maybe I typed something in wrong. I think the worst that could do is turn your skin orange. But I partially started eating off plan because I was worried I wasn't getting enough food and was feeling bad. Going to chop some stuff for the next few days to see if I can stop eating the junk around the house.
taz432

Postby taz432 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:21 pm

I haven't been able to eat according to the guidelines in probably a week or 2. I wonder if 2 weeks on MWL is my limit before breaking? I still eat the basics, like oatmeal, the meals for the most part, and some fruit, but added chocolate, ice cream, and fast food one time. I think I had actually lost a little weight and my body is just trying to gain it back. I don't know what I'm going to do differently this week but think I'll try writing what I eat and how it's going.

What I found is that the 5-ingredient SNAP meals were good and I was physically full but then shortly after I'd be hungry again. I'd have veg, 2 c. meal and then a piece of fruit and would be hungry an hour later. I think in the past I did better when I'd have a plate with beans/rice, greens, sweet potatoes. I ran out of greens mid-week and those seem to keep me full better. Plus I didn't make sweet potatoes as much so was not having those too often. I will make a plan to make some regular food today, then plan to make a SNAP meal on Wed to get me through til next Sat. I'm also going to bake some extra potatoes just so I have something on hand. The sweet potatoes help with my sweet tooth. I might add back in cocoa again so I get that feeling that I'm getting chocolate.
taz432

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:55 am

Hello Taz

This is my first message on the forum.
But I am familiar with the program. I have read the books and also follow chef AJ and healthy Emmie on YouTube.

I am responding because I have exactly the same issue as you have. I am following ok for 2 weeks and then fall off the wagon. Already did 4-5 cycles. I also have food in house that I wish I had not (but boys and husband making already quite a lot of effort in limiting those undesirable foods).

I guess the thing is that I don't want it bad enough. For me it is just the last 10 pounds, I am in a healthy BMI already.

We need to find the cause so that we manage to hold on the diet longer (forever!)
AlicefromBelgium

Postby taz432 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Hi Alice,
We are in the same situation. My family is keeping unhealthy foods that I like in the house. I'm not pushing them to change at this point. I got back on track today after about 2 off-plan weeks where I ate good meals but added lots of junk food. I've been thinking about it and don't have a great new thing to try right now. I read about what ad campaigns were most successful with stopping smoking, thinking of applying something similar to food. Too bad ads like that are not out there! I downloaded a few horrible pictures of hearts and arteries and I'm fooling myself that it helped me eat lower fat but I think really I'm just in the light phase of my eating for the next few weeks. My latest is just to write in here what I eat daily so I will be less inclined to eat bad stuff.

Breakfast - casado - (shorthand for when I have some rice, beans, greens and sweet potatoes), rice milk cocoa
Lunch - SNAP moroccan, banana
5-6 peppermint patties
Dinner - SNAP moroccan, oatmeal, raisins, pecans

This journaling might work because I wanted to eat more but think I'll stop unless it's a piece of fruit.

Good luck staying on track! I think I go through phases like this because I eat too little when I'm in the eating healthy mode and my body rebels and tries to gain all the weight back, which was probably a pound. So I'm also going to try to eat a little more when eating healthy instead of trying to be perfect and eating less.
taz432

Postby taz432 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:04 pm

Breakfast - beans, rice, greens, sweet potato, and rice milk cocoa
Lunch - SNAP moroccan
Dinner - SNAP moroccan

Strangely not that hungry today, will eat dinner and try to eat some fruit.

Couldn't find anti-junk food ads. I thought other countries would have them but there was not much but some anti-soda and anti-obesity. Found some interesting pictures on pinterest. It would be great if someone with print ad making professional experience would make ads showing the dangers of junk food causing heart disease and diabetes, and making plain fresh fruit and veg look good. No recipes. That is my wish. I think the issue is that the food industries will not allow these ads to happen.
taz432

Postby taz432 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:49 pm

Breakfast - oatmeal with blueberries, banana, rice milk cocoa
Lunch - SNAP pasta and beans
Snack - orange
Dinner - SNAP pasta and beans

Was tempted to eat something else sweet like candy but had the orange and it was really good.
Still not that hungry
taz432

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:03 am

Hey Taz,

Good work on the last 3 days.
I suppose you are right, those anti-crap ads would not be permitted by the food industry.

I also agree on the fact that restricting too much leads to giving in into cravings.
Not being prepared is also a cause...

I'll continue following you :)
AlicefromBelgium

Postby taz432 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi Alice, sorry for being too lazy to check but do you have your own journal? I don't remember seeing your name. I love reading how other people are doing here and in the MWL check-ins. Thanks for the support.

Breakfast: oatmeal with blueberries, rice milk cocoa
Lunch: started eating 1/2 hour early, hungry: greens, SNAP pasta and beans, orange
Snack: 8 peppermint patties, could have been more but knew I would be writing in here
Dinner: greens, chili, quinoa, 2 dates - felt like I could search for sweets at the end but waited 30 min and cravings stopped

Will eat way more for breakfast tomorrow.
taz432

Postby taz432 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:50 pm

Had more for breakfast but not enough. Got hungry at 10, was busy and couldn't eat lunch til late
Breakfast: Quinoa, chili, greens, cocoa
Snack: 2 pieces pb toast
Lunch: SNAP pasta and beans, orange
Snack: 4 peppermint patties
Dinner: SNAP pasta and beans, 2 peppermint patties

Making sweet potato fries, going to try eating more tomorrow for breakfast and adding more fruit.
taz432

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:59 am

Hello Taz,

I have not my own journal (yet).
I have 10 pounds I'd like to lose but I am at a healthy BMI (24). It would just be to be the perfect me...

I am afraid I am not compliant enough to have a journal... I am compliant during the week but then during week-ends I eat way more standard (though always vegetarian)... so I don't know. Do you think I should have a journal ?

What does SNAP means ? (sorry English is not my native language)
AlicefromBelgium

Postby taz432 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi Alice, I'm not exactly sure what SNAP stands for, but it's the same thing as the 5 ingredient meals that are listed on the MWL page. I'll see if I can find the link later. It's basically you put in a can of diced tomatoes, a can of beans, some frozen vegetables and spices and have it with a starch and it's a fast meal with not much cooking. I'm trying to get used to eating these so I don't feel so strangely guilty not eating a perfect home-cooked meal and I can stay on this long term. I like to cook but not all the time.

Breakfast: Rice, beans, greens, sweet potatoes, banana, cocoa. I was finally full til lunch
Lunch (late): Rice, chili, greens, sweet potatoes, date
Dinner (late): had 3 peppermint patties at dinner time, couldn't eat til later, next time I could try thawing some edamame. SNAP Indian, orange, small potato

I baked a bunch of potatoes so I'd have more on hand than peppermint patties and it worked so far.

It would be nice to have 10 lbs to lose, hope I get to that point. I think I need to lose about 30.

Here's the SNAP info, it's on the first post of the Maximum Weight Loss October thread:
I use a 16 oz can of tomatoes instead of 28

SNAP Meal Template

1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice
taz432

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:52 am

Thank you for the info on the SNAP meal. I am not a fan of tomatoes but I use a similar approach to my meal. I call it KISS meals. It stands for Keep It Simple Sweetie !!
I just cook a bunch of starch, ready in the fridge (usually grilled squash or quinoa). I add whatever vegetables I want either steamed or cooked in the air-fryer. A little bit of coconut aminos and that's it.

I am sure you'll get to the 10 lbs to lose !
One day at a time :)
AlicefromBelgium

Postby taz432 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:37 pm

Thanks Alice!

I actually wasn't hungry between meals and was able to eat on time today. Maybe the big breakfast is the difference? It will be interesting to see why/if it fails this time and I break and buy the chocolate chips. So far not craving them.

Breakfast: rice, chili, greens, sweet potatoes, banana, cocoa
Lunch: SNAP Indian, orange
Dinner: SNAP Indian, half a frozen fruit shake since tired of oranges
taz432

Postby taz432 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:19 pm

Made it another day with no major cravings for chocolate/sweets.

Breakfast: rice, chili, greens, sweet potato, tangerine, cocoa
Lunch: SNAP Indian, tangerine
Dinner: SNAP Indian, 2 dates
taz432

Postby taz432 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:37 am

Everything is going the same, eating close to the same meals, no snacks the last 3-5 days, and no sweets or cravings or hunger between meals. Based on experience, I expect to fall off track Thu or Fri so will probably start logging in here again Wed. Today I'm making some chili to freeze to be ready for any cravings so I have some food on hand. I'm also going to come up with a really simple plan of what to eat. The last time, about 1-2 weeks ago, it was so hard to just put some potatoes in the oven. It's like I'm Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde.
taz432

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals