How to cook hashbrowns?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

yes they are!

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:43 pm

thanks for the suggestion...I have done them several times and they always come out great!
ncyg46

Postby Piper » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:28 pm

Kpolninja,

I use real whole potatoes. I just bought myself some Greenpan nonstick cookwear (if you haven't seen them, they're by Todd English, and they are truly, truly the only nonstick cookwear that doesn't start to chip and peel. I got them on HSN, so check them out if interested).

I grate my potatoes on a box grater, and then place them in my salad spinner. I rinse all the starch off them because I don't like them sticky. I give them a spin in the salad spinner to dry them off, and then put them in the skillet without oil on about medium heat (#5 if you have an stove that goes from low to 9). It'll cook about 6 to 7 minutes on one side, then flip over and cook the other side for about 5 to 6 minutes. When I say they "flip right out of the pain", I mean these babies flip right out. It's truly incredible what a good set of pans can do for your cooking.

Good luck
160/160/120

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." ~Yogi Berra
Piper

greenpan

Postby ncyg46 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:46 am

they also have them at Target...saw them the other day but have no room in the rv!!! I do mine either in a nonstick berndes frypan covered or the new way in the george forman grill!
also have a new favorite topping.....spicy mustard with horseradish...mmmmmm :D
ncyg46

Postby Jeanie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:54 am

MaryD- You say that you leave them on the grill for 30 minutes! I tried to do some the other day on my new waffle maker and after about 10 mins they looked like they would be burned.... So, what setting are you using? Medium? I had the waffle maker set to HI maybe that was the problem.

I really want to figure out to make this work :?
Out beyond all thoughts of right doing and wrong doing there's a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi
Jeanie

Postby slugmom » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:20 am

Jeanie, I would suspect each waffle maker / grill is different.

I made mine on HI (actually, mine has a "waffle" setting *above* high) and started with frozen hash browns (didn't thaw first) and mine probably took 20-30 minutes to get *crispy* -- my husband preferred them softer, so his were done after about 15 minutes. Anyway, I'd keep peeking at yours and get the hang of how long yours cooks them for the crispness you like them.
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Jeanie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:24 am

Hi Slugmom,

Did you use the waffle side or the flat grill side? I did have mine set to the inbetween place from waffle to High - today I'll try the lower side of waffle.....
thanks,
J
Out beyond all thoughts of right doing and wrong doing there's a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi
Jeanie

Postby slugmom » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:37 am

I used the waffle side of the plates, rather than the flat ones.
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Jeanie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:47 am

OK, Thanks :-D
Rumi
Jeanie

Postby kpolninja » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:12 pm

I ordered a green pan :D :D :D :D :D

And I put some frozen shredded potatoes in my waffel maker last night...soooo good. Nice and crispy.
kpolninja

Postby eaufraiche703 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Piper and Nancy,

THANK YOU for the cookware recommendation! Off to Target...

8)
eaufraiche703

Postby fulenn » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:04 pm

Yummy! We tried this tonight, actually, we have the second one in the waffle maker right now....this is so good! I have a General Electric iron with the plates that you can turn over. It's fairly old, for me at least, from the late 70's. (I wasn't even in high school yet.) I put the flat side of the plates on, put on frozen shredded hash browns, and POOF! After about 10 minutes--a yummy giant hash brown chip.

Thanks so much for posting this idea!

Fulenn
fulenn

Postby kpolninja » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:07 pm

Piper wrote:I grate my potatoes on a box grater, and then place them in my salad spinner. I rinse all the starch off them because I don't like them sticky. I give them a spin in the salad spinner to dry them off, and then put them in the skillet without oil on about medium heat (#5 if you have an stove that goes from low to 9). It'll cook about 6 to 7 minutes on one side, then flip over and cook the other side for about 5 to 6 minutes. When I say they "flip right out of the pain", I mean these babies flip right out. It's truly incredible what a good set of pans can do for your cooking.

I got my green pan (wow it is great), I've done frozen but not fresh. Do you boil or cook them in any way first?
kpolninja

Postby cowgirrlup » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:34 pm

Dale Jackson wrote:I put frozen hash browns in a pre-heated non-stick waffle iron and put the lid down and cook them like waffles. No fuss, no mess!

OK, I have to get some hash browns and try that! Awesome tip! Thank you! :-D
cowgirrlup

hash browns

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:40 pm

we have been doing frozen but now are down to fresh...I just take the raw ones and onion or microwaved ones and onions and do them either in the fry pan, foreman grill or berndes frypan...depending on the time. The raw ones take a bit longer but I like them better. I chop them in my small 3 cup kitchenaid and cook them right away. I guess if you rinse them in cold water and dry it totally it gets rid of the starch but I don't bother..... :D i am a lazy cook!
ncyg46

Postby auntemmy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:23 am

Dale Jackson wrote:I put frozen hash browns in a pre-heated non-stick waffle iron and put the lid down and cook them like waffles. No fuss, no mess!

DARN IT!! I just gave my waffle maker away! :cry:
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning