Something I wanted to share...

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Something I wanted to share...

Postby peterotoole » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:46 pm

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis around a year ago in my right hand and since then it's slowly moving to my left hand. I was put on Methotrexate and Hoolio. Methotrexate since the beginning and Hoolio for the past 6 months or so. Neither of these was working or just about working if anything. I always knew of the McDougall diet but was reluctant to try it as it would mean giving up some of my favourite food. Around 2 weeks ago, I hit an all-time low as the medication wasn't working and I am decided to bite the bullet and try the McDougall Diet. Just so you all know, I gave up pretty much nearly all dairy around 2 years ago and same with meat and lived on a primarily vegan diet. My diet was however rich is fats such as coconut, olive oil and other plant oils.

Anyway, around 2 weeks ago I went the final step and removed oils as well not fully sure what to expect but had my expectations set to low just in case it didn't work. Well, let me tell you, the first week I didn't feel much difference, to be honest, but I was just coming out of a flareup the week before so the inflammation would have been high. The second week completely surprised me. Within 2 days into the following week, I felt so much strength coming back into my hand, the pain significantly disappeared and I noticed that doing even the vacuum cleaning around the house didn't hurt anymore. It used to kill me with pain doing this the week before. I could grasp objects like I used to before this disease. For the past year, I used to grasp say the iPad with my right hand but without bending any of my fingers. I was now finding myself holding things like I used to before. My energy levels also skyrocketed! There were days when I'd walk around my city and walk as long as 25KM and still had energy!! My mood obviously vastly improved! Not sure if this is because I was noticing results or if consuming oils were bringing me down. Don't know.

Anyway, today we had an outing with friends and I decided that I would eat like I used to before. I felt it was important to see if it was the diet that had made things better or whether it was purely coincidental. In the back of my mind, I was wondering if it was the drugs that were finally kicking in. I ate ice-cream, chocolate and pizza. Strangely didn't like any of it with the exception of the pizza. I found them a bit sickening now after being off sugar for 2 weeks. The pizza was however DIVINE!

Anyhow, within around 5/6 hours my hand started acting up again!! I couldn't grasp things without feeling pain, I could feel swelling around all my joints which I had noticed was reduced whilst on the diet. If I clench my fist now, I feel a lot of pain. I could this really tightly for the past week without any pain what so ever. I am sitting here now typing with pain. I think this for me is the conclusive proof I needed that the diet is the ONLY way forward.

I'd love to hear from other people who have experienced similar effects after cheating! I was also wondering if my body has gone back to square one again after this feast?!
peterotoole

Re: Something I wanted to share...

Postby Ejeff » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:57 am

Peterotoole, I don’t have RA so I cannot comment on that. Just wanted to say I love your story and thanks for sharing. I have a few friends with RA and they won’t even try to change their diet to help themselves reduce pain. Mind boggling to me. Are you planning to stop the medications in the near future? Congratulations to you, wishing you pain free days ahead!

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby peterotoole » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:25 am

Ejeff wrote:Peterotoole, I don’t have RA so I cannot comment on that. Just wanted to say I love your story and thanks for sharing. I have a few friends with RA and they won’t even try to change their diet to help themselves reduce pain. Mind boggling to me. Are you planning to stop the medications in the near future? Congratulations to you, wishing you pain free days ahead!

Erin

Thanks for the comment Erin!

Yeah, some people's decisions are baffling alright. I completely understand how massive a change this diet is but surely nothing beats your health and feeling great. If this was simply a mild pain and nothing more then I could understand people not wanting to change their diets but the thing is, it's ALOT more than pain, it can end with disfigurement and the inability to use your joints properly so I for one am willing to try anything to fix it. Also, I am very conscious of the effects of all these drugs which also can't be healthy.

I think my plan with the medication is to see how it goes with the diet over the next few months. If I reach a point where I am 100% symptom-free, then I think I will stop my meds without telling my rheumatologist and then see how things go. If the pain comes back then I can easily start back on my meds. If I tell my rheumatologist however I am doing it, they will completely remove me from the programme and I will not be allowed to join back in so I just need to play it safe with that as you never know.

I'd personally love to reach a point where I am on the plan 99% of the time and then very very occasionally cheat for special occasions and then straight back on after the cheating. I don't, however, feel this diet is going to work this way but I'd love to hear if other people ever do this and how they manage it?
peterotoole

Postby petmomful » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:30 pm

The problem, for me, with occasional cheating, is that the cheating becomes more and more. I think, "Just a little won't hurt." This sets me on the path to gaining weight. I do not have RA, but I have chronic pain in my neck and upper back. I injured my neck about 32 years ago, and had 2 fusions. I am in pain every day, and doctors just don't know why. I did the whole pain management thing, and it was a nightmare. I just don't understand what is wrong with my neck and I can barely do any exercise, take care of my home, or much else. I have been eating some vegan junk food during the pandemic, and I have started about 9 days ago to tighten up the diet and get back on track. It is very difficult to be in this much pain every day, and no one knows why. I feel the diet helps lesson the pain a bit, but I am sure frustrated and don't know where to turn except stay on the diet long term in the hopes it will help. :lol:
petmomful

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories