Newbie questions about canned soups, and making things easy

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Newbie questions about canned soups, and making things easy

Postby pscheeren » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:40 pm

I don't think that I can just eat potatoes and sweet potatoes.

But I might be able to eat oats and frozen fruit for breakfast.
Potatoes and canned Progresso vegetable soup for lunch.
Green bananas whenever I want 24/7.
Long grain brown rice and Campbell's tomato soup for dinner.
I love salt.

I think I can eat that way for a long time and be happy.
Does that work?
pscheeren

Re: Newbie questions about canned soups, and making things e

Postby pscheeren » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:09 pm

I see that 16 people have looked at my post and no one says anything.
I don't understand that. I was very interested in a youtube video that showed a former major league athlete who changed his life. I don't know what happened where so many people just can't talk to me.
I don't trust y'all.
I'm not an online person and I stretched myself to reach out.
I will eat what I said because I think it might work.
You all are horrible people with good videos.
Be better people to get the truth out
pscheeren

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:48 pm

pscheeren wrote:I don't think that I can just eat potatoes and sweet potatoes.

I love salt.

Does that work?

That may be a huge improvement depending on your previous habits. Go for it, and get started.

Dr McDougall’s moderated forum is not like Facebook or other platforms. A lot less traffic. Here you will find a handful of semi-dedicated experienced regulars and many lurkers. For example, I read the McDougall forum instead of watching traditional news. I find it inspirational and empowering, instead of worrying and depressing.

If your post is read by a casual lurker, or someone who doesn’t feel qualified to answer, don’t take offense.

Watch out for added oils in canned soups. Salt is high, but is more a marker for highly processed foods, than problem by itself, unless you also have other complications. Jeff Novick has good video covering reading labels.

And remember that tastes can change over time given the chance.
michaelswarm

Postby pscheeren » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:22 pm

The word "lurkers" is eye-opening. I am not an online person for lack of a better way to say it.
I was just searching for a healthy lifestyle online and two things stand out to me: starch and prebiotics. I am out, No more online.
Thank you for responding.
pscheeren

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:56 pm

pscheeren wrote:The word "lurkers" is eye-opening. I am not an online person for lack of a better way to say it.
I was just searching for a healthy lifestyle online and two things stand out to me: starch and prebiotics. I am out, No more online.
Thank you for responding.

Many more people read than comment.
No problem. Good luck.
michaelswarm

Postby Vegankit » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:33 pm

I'm one of those people who need to adhere closely to get the full benefits of eating this way. I have to be diligent to keep salty commercial soups and other products out of my mouth. I could never eat those soups which not only contain too much salt and fat etc. If you have health problems and they aren't completely resolved with your current way of eating, you will need to stop eating them.

Here is a link to the program - https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... l-program/

If you look at the end there's a list of commercial products including soup. Maybe you could find healthier replacements for these soup? Or you can make your own - plenty of recipes on this forum.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ged-foods/

I'm one of those people that when I found this way of eating, I immediately stopped (tried to stop, I had an addiction to nuts that took a few weeks to end) and switched to only appropriate foods. But some people find it easier to slowly transition, remove the bad from their diet as they work their way to only eating this way. Perhaps your soups can help you transition then you slowly replace those soups with better choices.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:40 am

pscheeren wrote:I don't think that I can just eat potatoes and sweet potatoes.

And nobody is telling you to. Have you read the introductory info on this food plan? It's a heck of a lot more than eating potatoes! For examples, check out the recipe section under the Education drop down menu, or check out the dozens of McDougall/Starch Solution blogs, website, and Facebook communities out there.

You can also eat pancakes and French toast and scrambled tofu and dry cereals and hash browns (OK, they're potatoes), or just leftovers from the night before's dinner.

As others have mentioned, watch out for the ingredients, like salt and hidden oils and dairy, as well as meat products. I know you don't want to hear it, but this *is* a lower-sodium food plan. In packaged foods, the sodium level should be equal to or lower than the calories per serving. Dr. McDougall wants us to use no-added salt items in cooking and if we want, just add salt to the food at the table. That means no-salt added tomatoes, beans, broth, etc. when making our own soups and no added salt in the canned commercial soups. I don't know if any Progresso soups meet that criteria. Very few commercial plain old soup stock/broth even meet those guidelines. If all you want is soup for lunch, you'd be better off making your own - find one of the hundred or so in the recipe section or in these forums you may like and make up a batch, and pack it in individual servings and refrigerate or even freeze it like that and just reheat one each day at lunchtime. You can even have a sandwich with it if you want.

Dr. McDougall wants those who need to lose weight to restrict fruit to just 2 or 3 pieces a day. If you don't need to lose weight, then go ahead, but watch your triglycerides.

Sorry, but not only is it way too high in sodium to be allowed (480 mg per serving, and each can has 2 1/2 servings), but it has added oil. And that's the regular canned one - I didn't bother looking at the shelf-stable microwave ones.

I love salt.

But Dr. McDougall doesn't. It'll take a few weeks but your taste buds will change over time to enjoy the lower salt meals that are part of this food plan.

After making some adjustments and finding foods you like that are allowed, sure, but be prepared to do a little bit more cooking than you're doing now, if all you're eating is canned soup, rice, and green bananas. If you hate to cook, do a search using the Advanced Search in the forums and look for "SNAP" by user "JeffN" and you'll find Jeff Novick's simple 5 ingredient, 10 minute meals. He has a whole Facebook photo album of them called My Simple Recipes that shows the completed meal and the recipe is in the first reply under each one: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 124&type=3
, and if you like to see them being made, he has a series of videos, too: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shopping/dvds/

Like Vegankit suggested, look over at the approved packaged foods section and find some of the items to substitute for what you're already eating if even one pot and 10 minutes is too much cooking for you.

As you'll learn, the McDougall Starch Solution food plan is more than just potatoes.
VeggieSue

Postby Hal » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:17 pm

See how that goes, and let everyone know. Lots of rice and potatoes though, so i would use crushed tomatoes or puree and fresh spices in addition to canned soup and phase the canned soup out, and also make your own vegetable soup using bags of frozen assorted vegetables in addition to canned vegetable soup, and then phase that out too. It will end up tasting better than canned soup and a lot less work opening cans.
Hal

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning