September 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby moonlight » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:55 am

Cathy Ann wrote:This week has been better than last week, I am happy that there was an improvement, but can do better. I have decided that I will put September down as a learning experience. I've just told my hubby that I'm 100% in for October, (He gave me a screwed-up face look, as he will be losing his indulgent partner again. he also said that I have to go to the pool and exercise) I smiled at him and said he is right. My goal is to be 100% with all 10 points, for the month of October, I hope some-one in the group, who has also been struggling will join me for October ALL IN Challenge.

Thank you for the group. I'm feel very excited for October, and feel that I have found my strength again. I'm smiling once again, have a great week everyone.

Hi Everyone,

I've been away for a couple of months. I'm ready to get back on the MWL plan! Cathy Ann. I accept your ALL-IN October challenge! Let's do it!!

It's great to see everyone's progress. I really appreciate this group! Thank you, Mark, for offering such inspiring words of encouragement.

See you next week in the October thread!
moonlight

Postby wstokes » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:49 am

-1.4 lbs
Some traveling this week kept me off plan somewhat, but getting back to better exercise habits helps. I have not reported via the 10 Point Checklist as much as I should...come October, I will make that my focus.
wstokes

Postby Dot » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:04 pm

Initial Weight: 150 lbs. Goal: 130-135 lbs.
July - 145 -5
Aug -- 142 -3
Sept 5/20 -140 Loss 2 lbs.
Sept 11/20 -138 Loss 2 lbs.
Sept 18/20 -138 Loss 0 lb.
Sept 25/20 -138 Loss 0 lb.
Not gaining, BMI - 23.7, reviewing the relevant videos, following the guidelines and close to my goal. But I need more loss to feel confident that when I misstep, which I know is bound to happen, I have enough of a cushion to not do major damage. Starting to be a lifestyle, many concepts to keep practicing. Adding more compliant dishes I enjoy eating, started biking ( just around the block).
This week I’m going to concentrate on simplicity in food preparation and being more physically active.
Good luck, everyone, with your goals!
D.
Dot

Postby Kathie » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:10 pm

Rough week. Cleaned out the kitchen. Husband not too happy, but he has his way of losing weight and I have mine. Part of mine at this stage is to get rid of the tempting foods. And, since we rarely go out to eat anymore due to the virus mess, that temptation has also been removed.

(And I did leave his stash of stuff that is not tempting to me at all. Only cleaned out the areas where I cook and had to come face-to-face with the temptations on a daily basis.)

Thanks for the encouragement, Mark. I am keeping the MWL foods in the kitchen/frig. And will focus more on each meal/day. I have so much weight to lose that it's depressing to look too far ahead.

I still stuck to most of the 10-point list, except for some key things that I have gotten rid of now. Didn't drink my calories, no meat, exercised, ate mostly 50/50, no oil.

People keep telling me to drink water. How much water should we be drinking? I drink when I'm thirsty, and sometimes when I'm not if I know I haven't had anything to drink all day.I thought that's what McDougall had said - drink when you're thirsty. And I don't really get thirsty unless it's really hot. And sometimes I'll drink a small cup of water with my meal.
Kathie

Postby VivianS » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:11 pm

VivianS September 25, 2020
Weight change + 6.5 pounds
I succeeded on points 1, 2, and 5.
Points that need greater attention are
3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.
The kids and their parents are sick. As my work load increased at their house, I neglected to exercise just due to tiredness. I went on a road trip with my husband to get our flu shots. I made the mistake of not taking food on a promised "short trip" and then ate what was available. My husband was so guilt stricken that I have felt tension about it. I also made a mistake of putting two cup portions of soup in my jars and then ate both cups when I prepared my meal to go meet the kids in the afternoon. I was drinking water and unsweetened caffeine drinks to stay awake.. The usual PLEASURE TRAP ( off diet salty- oil loaded foods) added calories and water weight. I have lifted weights as my regular exercise, chased and lifted toddlers, but the lack of walking caused the extra calories to collect around my waistline.
I was off my hormone pills (estrogen and testosterone) for a month after a spot in my breast was investigated with sonogram in August, which showed no change in size. I resumed taking the pills this week. I have been hungry and eating like crazy in response.
I am going swimming for an hour at 5 p.m. to relax. I will make tomato vegetable soup tonight and put it in one cup servings so when I make my meals next week, I can again mindlessly dump the contents of the jar into my travel containers, but it will be the right amount. I will have a better week.
Thank you, Mark, for your kind, encouraging replies and the totals you do every week. I read all the reports. I realize that we are all human and suffer the same weaknesses, problems, challenges and temptations. I can do better this week because I have thought about the 10 guidelines daily and I have prepared myself to have success. I am not going to beat myself or let my behavior disturb my husband again. He wants me to he healthy and not suffer a heart attack like he did.
Thanks,
VivianS
VivianS

Mark's Replies for September 25 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:37 pm

Expat in NZ - Cheers for the scale hitting a smaller number, (nearly) 100% adherence, and 4 lbs lost this month! :thumbsup: October awaits!

josietheschnauzer - Excellent work sticking to the MWL 10-Point Checklist on the road! :D All your planning, thought and preparation seems to really be paying off. May your travels be safe and enjoyable!

whereamac - Down 1.8 lbs! Doing our very best within the context of a given situation seems like all we can expect of ourselves, right? If you haven't already seen Jeff's thread on strategies for Dining Out, it may offer some applicable strategies. How wonderful that you are already noticing some pleasant changes and "non-scale victories." I applaud you for making those adjustments to your goals and daily regimen as a result of reviewing the evidence and information presented in Jeff's subforum. Whatever one's individual short and long-term goals may be, perhaps the most important is doing what we can to pass the "Plate Test."

Cathy Ann - Making the current week better than the last is what it is all about! I think sometimes weeks (or months) when we are really struggling can offer some of the most valuable opportunities for learning and growth. Facing challenges and setbacks, persevering in the face of those obstacles, and strengthening our plans, routines and resolve for the future is a path that can ultimately lead to success. I'm delighted that you're feeling excited, strong and ready to make the best of the days ahead!

PonysPlants - Back on track, Naomi! Keep attending to the recommended behaviors, and I'm sure you'll see that BMI milestone before long. Jeff has some excellent threads discussing BMI - Optimum BMI? and Optimal BMI - redux, which address your question.

Abe - Nice work! Those intrusions of sudden stressors and calamities try to knock us out of the groove, but they also provide the opportunity to learn where our plans, practice and routine may have some "holes." Finding and adopting strategies for maintaining adherence when things feel the worst can be an enormous win. Perhaps you could try Jeff's short, simple meditation; just be sure to use Jeff's method, and not Sheila's! :lol:

squealcat - Kudos! I think the consideration and effort you put toward implementing the recommended behaviors played a big part in how the week went, Marilyn! Feeling a renewed sense of hope that you can continue to make changes in your behavior to support your goals seems to indicate that you can see the path to follow. Making these changes is so hard, and there are so many countervailing forces, that nearly everyone struggles and stumbles - picking yourself up, focusing on the recommended pattern of behavior, and making today better than yesterday is a way to "get there" in the end. :)

CindyD - WOO! You are down 8 pounds this month, if I'm not mistaken! Good for you not letting distressing news send you off track; I totally agree that it feels valuable to focus on something over which we have influence or control, and what we put in our bodies is definitely a "big something!" It sounds like you are doing great. I think your reasoning in using a portion of the veggies in those lunch bowls as your preload makes sense; just be mindful not to "short" yourself on starches, as that can result in inadequate satiety and bingeing. Have a lovely weekend!

Wfpb2020 - Nice loss! Depending on our perspective, nearly all of us have "a lot more work to do" in one arena or another; just keep taking steps that bring you closer to where you want to be, as you see them in front of you. On the days you ate the potato chips, was anything different in your routine or environment? Was there a particular chain of events or situation that precipitated making that choice? Keep doing the work!

NateKruse - Another week of solid adherence and a big result! Big congratulations on losing 66 pounds since the start of the year! Feeling great is always the very best reward, right? Clearly, we all have to make our own individual choices, within our specific context; I would very much encourage you to take some time to review Jeff's discussions regarding BMI, Muscle growth, and Exercise, as they may help inform your decision-making process.
JeffN wrote:Building Muscle
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17086

Protein and Amino Acids
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57153

Protein and Building Strength
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57444

Body Weight
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13617&p=122416

Weight and Exercise
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8219&p=59723

Muscle vs Fat
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11186

I wish you the very best outcomes as you move forward.

Amberlina - That appears to be a really good week, indeed! Kudos for making progress on your daily exercise goal! Finding an exercise routine that you enjoy and feel great about seems like an important achievement. How gratifying that some of the "seeds" you are planting are beginning to "sprout" on your husband's plate. :D

jkcook -
jkcook wrote:Back to more green salads and potatoes and weight loss. Happiness!
I love that! The pattern of behavior yields the results. :nod:

Noella - YAY! 9/10 and down 2 lbs! What a delightful list of successes, on the scale and off! I very much feel for you being faced with increased inflammation and knee pain, ongoing issues with pain seem like one of the more challenging hurdles we're facing. Do any changes in your habits correspond with this flare up? Jeff's discussion of his approach to the elimination diet is quite clear and thorough, if you feel like a review would be advantageous.

Moonlight - :D Welcome back! I'm always so happy to see an old friend and comrade make their return! October awaits!

wstokes - Nice loss! Traveling inevitably presents problems to be solved; I think making progress on goals that we value, like exercise, definitely feels encouraging.
wstokes wrote:I have not reported via the 10 Point Checklist as much as I should...come October, I will make that my focus.
:thumbsup: Sounds like a great plan! Since the behaviors deliver the results, that is where our power resides; it can be tough to gauge whether we are making progress in our pattern of behavior, if we aren't tracking that progress.

Dot - Fantastic efforts maintaining your diligent adherence! Carrying that forward will bring you ever closer to your goals. That transition where this starts to feel like a lifestyle can be an interesting and rewarding (as well as challenging) time. It really is a matter of continuing to practice the concepts, in a variety of different situations and environments, and fortifying and adjusting our plans and routines as needed; confidence will develop naturally over time. Concentrating on simplicity and physical activity seems like a great "game plan" for the week ahead. :thumbsup:

Kathie - Down 4.4 lbs! Although this felt like a rough week, it would appear you made some important progress, adjusting your environment to better support adherence, and concentrating on the recommended behaviors. :thumbsup: You have it right with water in response to thirst.
JeffN wrote:Drink when you're thirsty. Stop drinking when your thirst is quenched. Obey that one rule and there is no risk of dehydration.

VivianS - Hang in there, Vivian! These setbacks happen, so try to "harvest" the lessons they offer, treat yourself with compassion, and get right back to concentrating on the pattern of behavior described in the MWL 10-Point Checklist. Being prepared and having our environment prepared to support success is a big part of the battle. Try to keep in mind, too, that when we are eating the recommended foods, in the recommended fashion, the only question we need to answer is "Am I hungry?" The MWL guidelines tell us WHAT to eat, the questions of WHEN and HOW MUCH both have the same answer - in response to hunger, until comfortably full.
JeffN wrote:You don’t have to figure it out or work out it. Only follow the guidelines. When hungry (regardless of whether you may think it is true hunger, appetite, or something else) just eat. Eat of the recommended foods as outlined in the 10 point checklist.

Over time, it will work itself out.
This path often isn't easy, but as long as we keep learning, growing and doing our best, we are heading in the right direction.
Mark Cooper

Postby oneesotericgirl » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:45 pm

Current weight - 198
down 1.8 lbs.

I was down to 197.4 but went back up after not following the rules.

I am satisfied with that loss though. I think it could be better if I had stayed 100% on track. I had a rough week emotionally. Dealing with some difficult personal issues. I have crashed hard after that. Not every day, I was doing really really good at the beginning of the week. Then I had a few appointments and "treated" myself to vegan pizza and vegan carrot cake. It wasn't worth it, I was incredibly ill after! Good lessen to learn the hard way though. I am glad that I weighed in this morning because today has been difficult too.
Will refocus tomorrow. Don't want to gain because I wasn't able to manage my emotions.
On the bright side, podiatrist says another month of physical therapy and restrictions I will be able to exercise like I want again!
That helps because going for a walk helps soothe the emotions instead of eating.

Keep Moving Forward
oneesotericgirl

Postby louie3084 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:14 pm

Hi all, down 0.5kg to 58.1kg. I noticed during the week it went above the previous week's loss, but then I got it back down. There was one day where I could not fill up so ended up eating a lot of oatmeal that day. I reduced oatmeal for the rest of the week. All of the other 10 points were followed pretty well.

Mark how much oatmeal generally works per day on this program?

:-D
louie3084

Postby Lachoffman » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:39 pm

Weighing in at 180, a weekly LOSS of 3 lbs.

F, 5'9" | Start date and weight: 7/4/20, 216 lbs
Weight on 9/25/20 = 180 lbs
Total Weight Loss to date (12 weeks) = 36 lbs

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES, 100%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method. YES, 100%
3. Choose fruit for dessert. YES, 100%
4. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. YES, will sometimes add reduced sodium salt after food prep
5. Eliminate all animal foods. YES, 90%
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES, 95%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products. YES, 95%
8. Don't drink your calories. YES, 100%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry. YES, 100%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes/day. YES, 100%

No issues or challenges. Thanks.
Lachoffman

Postby ChristinaElizabeth » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:46 pm

Hi Everyone,

Weight change 9/25 -2.2 lbs
9/11 153.2
9/18 153.3
9/25 151.1

1. Start with soup/salad/fruit: YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate: YES
3. Reduce or eliminate salt and sugar: No
4. Eliminate animal foods: No
5. Eliminate higher fat plant foods: YES
6. Eliminate oil: YES
7. Eliminate higher calorically dense foods: No
8. Don't drink your calories: No
9: Eat when hungry and stop when full: YES
10. Avoid being sedentary: YES

My successes this week were getting my walks in, Really focusing on starting with a salad or an apple, following the 50/50 plate, and noticing when I was full.
The points that I needed to improve this week were reducing sugar, eliminating animal foods, eliminating higher calorie dense foods, and not drinking my calories. My husband and I ate at a Mexican restaurant this week and I forgot to ask the server to leave the cheese off my meal,and I gave into a craving for cookies and Hawaiian punch one day while out running errands. ( yes, I still eat like a kindergartner at times ☺).

Overall, I felt like I made progress this week even though it doesn't appear that way when you look at my answers to the checklist. I get really frustrated with myself when the cravings kick in and my brain seems to check out until after I am finished eating the non-compliant foods and THEN I start beating myself up about caving in. I really want to change the conversation in my head and switch the dialog so that I don't give in and then beat myself up. This week I am determined to try to keep up my successes from this week while taking fruit and water with me while I am away from home and avoiding cheese, baked goods and sugary drinks. Have a great week everyone!
ChristinaElizabeth

Postby LesleyMills » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:41 pm

12th week weigh in, was 170lbs now 168lbs -2lbs
I should have posted this yesterday but it completely slipped my mind, sorry!!
I stuck to the plan all week (except for Tuesday when I had a slip as below) and am finally glad the scales and my weight loss have aligned.
I did want to ask about the slip though as I had about half box of dry crackers in the house and ate a swag of them but then quickly stopped and stuck to the program from then on but the damage was done. They were vegan but they were all crunchy, dry and salty, it was heaven. That was my only break and the next morning weighed myself and I'd put on about 2lbs which shocked me. Two days later of being 'good' I'd lost these pounds.
My question is: how come two handfuls of dry crackers can overnight put on 2lbs? The crackers could have only weighed a few ounces but my body reacted hugely overnight.
LesleyMills

Postby Creaky » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Get this in before I head to bed.

08/15/20 Start: 267
09/04/20: 265.4 +3.4
09/11/20: 261.1 -4.3
09/18/20: 258.2 -2.9
09/25/20: 258.9 +.6 (Gain)
Total Change: -8.2

1. Soup before meal: Stew like meals
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals: :thumbsup:
3. Desert = Fruit: :thumbsup:
4. Little added sugars and added salts: :thumbsup:
5. No Animal Products: :thumbsup:
6. No higher fat plant foods: :thumbsup:
7. No added oil: :thumbsup:
8. No Processed Food/Dried Fruit: :thumbsup:
9. Don’t drink your calories: :thumbsup:
10. Eat when Hungry/Don't stuff myself: :thumbsup:
11. 30 minutes exercise/day: :thumbsup:

Not sure why the slight gain. I ate to plan. Gained 2 pounds over the weekend. I was a bit heavy on starches than normal. Still had close to 50/50 meals most of the weekend. Stressful at work, but kept eating on plan and moving forward.

Can you eat too much fruit? Should I be limiting it? if so, how much? I'm having berries (a bit less than 1 cup) at lunch and dinner and fruit at my two snacks (apple, grapes, or strawberries). It helps to finish off my meal with something sweet.

I'm not discouraged and will keep trekking on. I will warn you - Thursday was my birthday - so I'm planning to order out this weekend. No desire for meat - Haven't eaten meat in over 7 years, I think. Looking at menus for vegan carry out choices which aren't a lot in my area. I'm not planning on going a food eating extravaganza, just have a meal that I normally wouldn't have.

Edit on Saturday morning: Stupid scale: I'm an 256.8 this morning. Why couldn't you be there yesterday! Sigh.
Last edited by Creaky on Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creaky

Postby Hope410 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:56 pm

Hello All,

Weight change: -.8

Points 3, 5, 6, and 8: 100%
Points 1, 2, 4, 7, and 9: 90%
Point 10: 55%

Hopefully next month will more productive in the compliance department. See you all there.
Hope410

Postby Reni » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:07 am

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post - down 3.6! I've still been ill, so my adherence to the 10 point checklist hasn't been great.

Thanks everyone for the support.

-Reni
Reni

Postby ladevereaux » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:15 am

Started 8/03/2020: 246.7
08/28/2020: 241.0
09/04/2020: 237.4
09/11/2020: Did not weigh
09/18/2020: 238
09/25/2020: 236.9
Weight change: -1.1 lbs (Total: -9.8 lbs)

10-Point Checklist:
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. NO
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. NO
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). NO
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO

Observations:
I have been stress eating. In addition to dealing with the emotions of my mother’s passing last year, I have been out of work since March. I have been interviewing for a particular job over the last 5 weeks and they made an offer that I accepted yesterday. My eating has not been on point this week, but it was better than last week. I snacked on smoothies, popcorn, and ice cream, and had fast food once this week. I also boiled a whole bag of baby potatoes and have been mainly eating those for dinner. Next week I will be making another pot of vegetable soup to replace the bad snack items. The weather really hampered my exercise this week, but I think next week will be clear and not so hot. I’m looking forward to it.
ladevereaux

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program