Katie's gluten free journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Katie's gluten free journal

Postby Ruff » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:48 pm

I started writing a reintroduction about why I am back here, and it ran to more than 2000 words and was still not finished! So I gave up....nobody wants to read all that.

The very short version. Started Mcdougalling in 2011. testimonial below. All well and good. Ran lots of races, had lots of fun. gradually gradually the oils began creeping back in, the odd bit of chocolate turned into the odd bar of chocolate and then the not so odd bar! Coconut cream in the curry turned into coconut cream iccream etc etc.

When I got diagnosed with Hasimotos I went off gluten. I have a coeliac son and I know I have the gene. I tested positive for coeliac antibodies too, and there didn't seem much point in getting a biopsy. My TSH dropped to 1.8 when I went off gluten, without drugs so I'm not likely to be eating it anyway.

After the diagnosis I threw my toys out the cot and went vegetarian. No cheese, as it gives me migraines, but butter and eggs basically, and cooking with oil. I justified it by saying I needed eggs to bake gluten free bread and baking!!! :lol: As I no longer am overweight, and didn't put on weight I decided it was all good!

And now I have pains in my hands. I tested negative for arthritis but that means nothing as my dad tested negative twice and positive on the third try. And my foot, my poor foot... So much pain ever since the 13th October and the crater rim 30km trail race. I came 3rd woman over 55 and it was my last race due to foot pain. They cannot seem to be able to find out what is wrong. I wear a foot brace due to drop foot, but I have had drop foot for 5 years and never had pain like this before.

We went away for a week for our 35th wedding anniversary and talked it all over. I am trying Mcdougalling again in order to try and heal my foot and my hands. I get lots of other aches and pains too, particularly my left shoulder. I get gritty eyes in the morning and at almost 58 years of age I am STILL plagued by hot sweats at night.

So, here I go. Day 1. Again.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Re: Katie's gluten free journal

Postby Ruff » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:59 am

day 1 was good. Ate lots of grapes! I'm not doing MWL because I am starting running again, and I eat lots of fruit when I get hungry because I have been running!

Today I did 3.75km on the beach without the brace.

Foot pain fine when running but has picked up a bit during the day.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:57 pm

day 2. It is so cold and foggy here. Brrrr.

I'm not running today because it is Aikido tonight. This means I have to change my meals around as aikido is at 5.30-7pm, and its nearer 8pm when I get home. I never eat in the evening, in fact rarely after 6pm, don't know why, I just prefer not to. So I eat an early lunch and then have a substantial snack at 3pm and call it a day for food, although I will have a cup of tea when I get back from aikido.

so the plan is buckwheat and fruit porridge for breakfast.
left over Dahl and rice for lunch
3pm, Dahl again if any if left, or home dehydrated soup and fruit if not.
any snacks will be fruit, apples because that is what I have, unless the pineapple is ripe today.

I had no foot pain at all when I got out of bed, which was a bit of a surprise, but I haven't actually walked anywhere yet. Hands, still sore, sore bits still moving around the different joints, its the right thumb and little finger and the left thumb and first finger today. They are not red or swollen, just stiff and sore.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:36 pm

I'm going well and up to 4km running. I did Aikido on Thursday as well. Today is a rest day and tomorrow I am going to attempt 7km, which will probably be a walk/run.

Foodwise all is good. I'm not doing MWL, i'm having soy milk in my buckwheat porridge, and almond milk in my tea.I also have oil free baked beans as a treat, last night I had them for dinner. I try not to eat after dinner, so I get about a 12-13 hour none eating window, although I dont do IF as such, but last night we watched a movie and I had some frozen grapes.

My foot seems a little better, but my hands don't seem to have changed. However I am only starting day 4 of back to strict mcdougalling.

Can anyone remember how to put photos up. I know I have done it before, but that was years ago!
Katie

Ruff

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:15 pm

Hi Katie, I just went back and read your story. Oh my, and what an amazing story it is. You have a great way with words. Horrific earthquakes aside, I have followed some of the same path as you, and in the same time frame of our ages. I'm now 57, but have done all the different diets through the years, and lowcarb/keto was the worst, but it worked for a bit...till I wanted some real food, and yes, it was something as simple as salad. I love your leek story.

I'm still not where I want to be, I have about 20 lbs to go, but I'll keep at it.

And thanks for the simple running routine, I did Day 1 today. You can tell your daughter someone is giving it a go.

Take care.
AnnetteW

Postby vegyluvver » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:47 pm

To post photos, you put the photo up somewhere(Flickr or whatever) then use the Img button above the post to add the address of the photo.
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Postby Ruff » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:52 am

vegyluvver wrote:To post photos, you put the photo up somewhere(Flickr or whatever) then use the Img button above the post to add the address of the photo.

Thank you, I'll make a new account, as I have obviously lost the last one!
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:54 am

AnnetteW wrote:Hi Katie, I just went back and read your story. Oh my, and what an amazing story it is. You have a great way with words. Horrific earthquakes aside, I have followed some of the same path as you, and in the same time frame of our ages. I'm now 57, but have done all the different diets through the years, and lowcarb/keto was the worst, but it worked for a bit...till I wanted some real food, and yes, it was something as simple as salad. I love your leek story.

I'm still not where I want to be, I have about 20 lbs to go, but I'll keep at it.

And thanks for the simple running routine, I did Day 1 today. You can tell your daughter someone is giving it a go.

Take care.

We are twins! I am 57 also...58 in October. And we both went the keto route too!

Well done on starting the running, did you enjoy it?
Katie

Ruff

Postby AnnetteW » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:15 pm

Ruff wrote:We are twins! I am 57 also...58 in October. And we both went the keto route too!

Well done on starting the running, did you enjoy it?

It was easier than I thought, when I first started. The first half of my route is slightly downhill. Then the uphills started, and 1 min seemed very very long...but I sucked it up and did it. I'm looking forward to going again tomorrow. Now what kind of crazy comment is that.

I'm always highly motivated by gadgets and my gym isn't opening up so I felt like I have some money to burn (lol). My sister is a runner and I started looking at running watches, and then ended up ordering the same one she has. I did find I could use the interval app on my phone which worked quite well and also continue to listen to my WFPB podcasts.

And now I'll be able to track some numbers. I like that, it will definitely motivate me.

I'll keep in touch!!!
AnnetteW

Postby Ruff » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:22 pm

Falling off the wagon, oh my!

It is our 35th wedding anniversary on Monday. Last night the kids came for dinner to celebrate. I had planned a mini buffet which included Baked potatoes and Dahl, but the kids brought a homemade, gluten free, cake. And as they had gone to all the trouble, I had a piece, with ice cream, and then had another piece.....

Well this morning my hands are sore, just sore, not red and swollen, but they fell stiff and the joints hurt on a number of fingers, and sadly my foot hurts again on waking. It had stopped hurting first thing in the morning, and came on later in the day.

So that's that. It was a good test I suppose, it is the food.

Anyway, onwards. back on the wagon now.
Katie

Ruff

Postby vegyluvver » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:23 pm

Good for you, using this as a learning experience! My conditions get lots better/worse depending on the food, too.
Val in SoCal
vegyluvver

Postby Ruff » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:39 pm

Back on track re the food. The foot and joint pain is worrying though.

The x rays were normal which is good, but doesn't explain the pains. they were bad again this morning. The doctors seem baffled and I am being directed towards "chronic pain" or idiopathic peripheral neuropathy...which seems to mean pains in ones hands and feet and they dont know why!

Anyway, as nothing is actually 'wrong' I assume I can't cause problems by living my life, so Im just going to get on with it I think. Its midwinter here, but I will try and get out as often as possible and start building up my distances ready for the spring.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:40 pm

vegyluvver wrote:Good for you, using this as a learning experience! My conditions get lots better/worse depending on the food, too.

hi val, what conditions do you have?
Katie

Ruff

Postby vegyluvver » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:57 am

Ruff wrote:
vegyluvver wrote:Good for you, using this as a learning experience! My conditions get lots better/worse depending on the food, too.

I have an autoimmune disorder that affects my joints, and a couple heart issues. Everything feels better when I eat right so I'm not 100% sure why I don't eat right all the time.
Val in SoCal
vegyluvver

Postby Ruff » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:09 pm

vegyluvver wrote:
Ruff wrote:

I have an autoimmune disorder that affects my joints, and a couple heart issues. Everything feels better when I eat right so I'm not 100% sure why I don't eat right all the time.

Oh I know! I am strict about gluten, and never cheat, but I am not so good about other things. we haven't got the the bottom of what actually makes the joints hurt yet though.
Katie

Ruff

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals