FrowsyOwl's Final Commitment

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: FrowsyOwl's Final Commitment

Postby frowsyowl » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:21 am

Over the last week, I've averaged 64% on my MWL checklist, mostly due to how badly yesterday went. Off to a bad start today. I set off a jag of cramming yesterday. I'm not even sure how, and was very hungry this morning. I'm getting into my husband's foods again, whereas the last few weeks they haven't been an issue. Would like to be at 80% this week even with the holiday.

I did some food prep yesterday, and a lot of it was a fail. I tried roasting some weird vegetables from the farmer's market--large (black and watermelon) radishes, kohlrabi and cauliflower. I couldn't eat the radishes, and this morning when I went to get the other vegetables out to pack lunch, they smelled so bad I would be embarrassed to eat around anyone. So, just having a very plain lettuce/cabbage salad, mini jeff's burgers, and potatoes.

Things I'm thinking of doing:
    REALLY, Finally, giving up caffeine. I think this is part of what is going on with my appetite. It's up and down, and it's hard to judge day to day what I'm going to need to eat. I did have coffee and CRAP today just to top off the bad weekend. ;)

I want to try walking/running outside again. The afternoons really haven't been that bad. I should be outside more. Will need to organize my exercise clothes, make sure I have layers, and find a new route that's not along rush-hour traffic. I will need to not eat as soon as I get home b/c I have trouble getting up again once I sit down with dinner.

I need a lot more structure on the weekends and evenings. I've been in a complete rut. I did try this recently with a schedule. I'm not sure how to make myself compliant and keep myself moving. I'm thinking of doing some of the projects I had hoped my husband would handle. Will be watching some handy-man youtube videos! (Replace dryer vent, peg-board in garage, etc.)
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:32 pm

Hello again...Didn't realize how long it had been since I posted here. It was an up and down emotional month leading up to surgery. With that, my compliance was iffy, but now I have a lot more mental energy to put toward staying on track. While I was recovering, I got an email about participating in a compliant program and gradually got back on track in order give that a go.

I've surrounded myself with multiple types of support: this new program, the previous TOPS program that I'm using as a weigh-in and to be see people in 'real-life', this journal, and a few things from the Beck Diet book that I re-read a couple weeks ago...some others here have mentioned it. I read that when it was first published, and it didn't click with me at all, but this time, it seemed exactly what I needed. I didn't fight the suggestions, I'm trying them, and keeping what is helpful (eating at the table, trying to avoid spontaneous eating...).

I've probably settled into meals that are most like the regular McD plan, though at certain meals I do end up with a 50/50 split like MWL. Week one included some recipes with tofu and tempeh which were nice to get back on track. This second week, I've left those out, but am keeping in the bread and nuts as long as I can keep them in their place at meals in the right amounts. I'm also currently including a small treat a couple times per week--a couple pieces of hard candy or similar. Also...aiming for three meals and 1 snack per day. Before, I felt like I was gradually starting to eat all day long. I know that I'm allowed to eat when I'm hungry, but most of the time the meal is enough. I know I used to eat this way without thinking about it.

Exercise--big resistance to this, so two Friday's ago, I started with a tiny routine that you do in about 10 minutes--everything is modified--no real sit ups or push ups. The reps are so low that it's no big deal to get it done each day. It will gradually increase. This Sunday, I added a 30 minute walk, and will see if I can keep that pattern going. As the weather improves this Spring, I hope to add variety, but won't add anything unless I feel like I'm ready to commit to it.

Weight this Saturday: 203.3 (Down three from two weeks ago).

I had my blood work done before I got back on track. Blood sugar was fine as usual, but I think cholesterol was about 209. I'll edit to add exact numbers later. Will re-do these tests in a couple months.

I'm enjoying this new rhythm of planning, cooking, tracking.

BRB
Last edited by frowsyowl on Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:44 pm

Test results:
Total Cholesterol: 206 (high)
LDL: 131 (high)
Tri: 102
HDL: 55
Non HDL: 151 (high)

Glucose: 88
A1C: 5.5
eAG: 111
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:31 pm

Pride before a fall... :duh:

I did just have a good week, so of course I would have trouble right after announcing it! :lol:
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:41 pm

Today is my 2nd day back on track! There was potluck at work, and I did not eat any. I wanted to go back for a snack/treat, and i did not! :unibrow:

Official weigh-in on Saturday, so I hope to be back below last weeks number.
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:12 am

Happy Friday!

Last night I watched a Doug Lisle Q&A with Chef AJ, I'll post it here if I can find the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG0syLcSkQY Somewhere in the middle (about 28:00), he starts talking about finding your equilibrium. Jeff puts it similarly, but hearing it out loud really locked it in for me...choosing a lifestyle pattern, waiting to see what results you get, and then deciding if you need to be more restrictive. I'm trying to think if what I'm doing is what I can/am willing to do forever. Seems silly to be thinking about this when my compliance can be so easily shaken.

I tried to talk about it with my husband, and his response was, "I think you think about food too much." Okay...how can I think about food less? I have to plan healthy meals that he and I will both eat--or plan two separate meals, so that I don't get lazy and stop by the fast-food restaurant that is a block from our house. I have to think about changing my habits of eating whenever I see, think about, hear about food, whenever I'm bored, or accidentally didn't pack enough lunch. I have to think about how not to weigh so much and how to exercise at least a little bit.

I do think I'm thinking about food slightly less with my new pattern. It limits it to 4 times/day in addition to the planning, prepping and packing that I need to do.

If you know how to think about food even less, or you know how to find your equilibrium let me know!

Thanks
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:33 pm

Had a good weekend, only a minor deviation on Sunday--pretzels. Got the weigh-in I was hoping for. New official weight: 200.7...trying not to obsess about what I want to weigh next week, and the week after, and the week after....

Made what I thought was a basic beans and rice dinner last night, but my picky husband was really impressed by it. Might have been the fire-roasted tomatoes? Who knew?!

All is well. Sometimes I don't quite trust that I'm eating the right amount (enough or too much).
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:38 am

Wednesday...what a long week! I work at a school, and between being off for breaks/my surgery, snow days, MLK day... I this is only the 2nd full week I've worked since December. Makes things feel like a slog...and it's been dark and cloudy lately. Maybe that's it.

I've not kept up on my prep as well this week, so I've had to patch in some meals with a PB&J. At least I'm not eating them two in a row after dinner. I'm still making well-rounded meals with fruits and vegetables. Treated myself to pancakes this morning...couldn't believe how many I could have and still be comparable (in calories) to my oatmeal. I always thought they were really high calorie because they were more processed.

I committed to tracking in a notebook, taking pictures and following a plan, but I'm kind of ready for a week that I don't make recipes...just scoop some things out of the fridge or freezer. It has been fun to try new things, especially that my husband will eat.
frowsyowl

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:53 pm

Isn't it funny how having a short week makes the rest of the week go so slowly? We had a snow day on Monday, so today is only my second full day back this week and I'm counting the minutes, wishing time would quit stopping :lol:

It's cool that your hubby will eat some of the actual foods you make. Mine won't touch anything I make.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby frowsyowl » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:18 am

Hi Buns...yes it is funny. Time either stalls or flies. I am lucky. Though, my husband would rather not eat what I make. He usually tries it the first night, and then I end up having to freeze a bunch b/c it's just the two of us.

Today feels like a day that I should be eating a bunch of C.R.A.P. Not sure what to do with myself! :D

The blissfully fast weight loss of the first two weeks has slowed this week. I'm still hovering plus or minus 200 the last few days. I had planned to be walking a lot this week, but get home and can't get back up again. Or, prefer to hit the snooze in the morning. I wish we had a good spot for a treadmill...and the extra $$. I would want it in the basement, and if I had it, I would say that I preferred to be outside. It's always something!

I didn't cook the last two nights b/c my husband wasn't feeling well, and I didn't want to make a dinner for myself. I think what I ate yesterday was kind of funny...seemed like a bunch of kid food. Just missing the "Juicy-Juice":

B: Pancakes! Coffee with soy milk
L: PB & J with orange and raw veg.
S: Banana
D: Air-popped popcorn and butterscotch candy, seltzer.

Today is starting similarly:
B: Leftover pancakes, added a banana and walnuts. Coffee with soymilk
L: PB & J, etc.
S: Apple
D: Stirfry? Popcorn? Something from the freezer?

Started watching "The Stranger" on Netflix. It was interesting at first, but looks like it's going to get a little too stressful to binge all at once.
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:58 am

Decided to join in at the MWL group this month. Mark had posted some good questions. I'm going to post them here so I don't lose them:

MWL Points needing work: #7--calorie dense plant foods; #10 being consistently active

Questions from Mark's post:
What do you need to do this week to make adhering to the MWL 10-Point Checklist as easy and effortless as possible? Have a scheduled time and/or day for exercise. I found a local challenge to use all of the local walking trails over the year. I may incorporate this to have something specific to do.

Do you have a plan for your meals? I've been using a meal planner for some of my meals, but I need to get better about prepping most of it over the weekend, for fewer decisions on the weekend. Luckily, I have a lot of frozen left-overs, so should only have to cook a small amount this week.

What form of exercise do you prefer to avoid being sedentary?
I prefer walking outside or biking, but the winter weather is a little unpredictable. I use walking videos as a back-up. I had also been doing a few warm-up exercises each morning, but have lost momentum since the first few weeks.

How will you include time for that exercise in your daily schedule? Depending on if I get enough sleep, I will likely rotate the time from first thing in the morning, to lunch hour (15 minutes), or late afternoon--when I can go to one of the trails around town.

What will you do when you don't feel like cooking or don't have enough time to cook? This week I had been using peanut-butter sandwiches, but obviously will have to set those aside...I will use frozen veg and baked potatoes as a back-up meal.

Do you have a strategy for navigating social gatherings? Don't have too many of these, but can run into trouble at work. I will continue to plan my own snack so that I don't get overly hungry.

What about dining out - do you know where you can find acceptable foods and what / how to order? Or should you just avoid restaurants entirely? I will either not go out (when my husband wants take-out), or I will request a compliant location if going out with others (Wendy's, or our grocery store have good options).
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:33 am

Keeping on keeping on...Two days so far of 30 minute walks!!! Whoot! Closer to MWL program yesterday than Sunday. Trying to keep positive even though I keep looking in the mirror at what I have left to lose rather than what I've accomplished so far.

Have made plans with a co-worker on a similar 'journey' to go walking (hiking?) at a nature center here. Can you call it hiking with very few inclines? It's supposed to be pretty nice. Hope the forecast holds.

Going through another tired phase again. Will have to be vigilant about my eating. Was up late the night before, then wasn't tired for last night and woke up in the middle because my arm was asleep and it was so hot (or maybe I was so hot?).
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 am

Work stress + lack of sleep + 3:00 a.m. breakfast + McD diet = Stress eating an apple at 9 a.m. :mrgreen:

Didn't exercise yesterday, but did follow my eating plan. The dinners I have planned for my husband and I include some tortillas or bread. I don't feel like it, but I think I'll sub a salad, rice or potatoes to stick more closely with my MWL intention.

B: Oatmeal and banana
S: Apple, coffee (with soymilk)
L: Left-over millet tabbouleh with cauliflower and chickpeas, potatoes; raw veg and hummus; orange.
D: Either bean taco filling or bean burgers over rice? with salad?
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:41 am

Two more 30 minute exercise sessions done! Last night I was not into it, and just marched in front of a TV program. This morning, I did an actual work-out video! Still not sleeping as much as I'd like, but not falling off the rails. Didn't make rice for dinner last night, but had some left-over potatoes with the bean filling and a salad. It's so nice when I follow through!

It's freaky cold this morning, but looking forward to a really nice weekend in the 40's. Still want to go walking.

Food plan today:

B: Oatmeal with blueberries and a banana.
S: Half-caff coffee with, 1/2 c soymilk, 1 tsp sugar (Not MWL, but picking my battles).
L: Left-over tabbouleh with cauliflower--sure wish this had come out better. I didn't cook the millet correctly, and left the cauliflower raw.
S: orange
D: BBQ Bean taco filling over salad, with rice?

On the downhill of another week!
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:44 pm

MWL weigh in: 198.2 (Feeling both happy impatient about this!)

Still have my in-person weight group/weigh-in Saturday morning.

Prepped a bunch last night: bean burgers, minestrone soup, rice and apple bread for my husband. Won't have to buy much at the store and there are still enough things left to make a few more meals.

Today:
B: Oatmeal with banana and blueberries, coffee w/soy milk
L: Salad, brown rice, left-over BBQ bean filling.
S: Orange, raw veg
D: Minestrone soup, salad
frowsyowl

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals