I've lost count of how many times I have restarted....

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I've lost count of how many times I have restarted....

Postby amandamechele » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:04 pm

laurag wrote:Hi there :-D I wrote myself some goals too! I was also like you not focusing on exercise while I tried to just focus on food but I'm ready to get it back. Just thought I would say hi and good luck to you too!

That’s awesome Laura, good luck to you too. Thanks for saying hi!
amandamechele

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:56 pm

Those are some good goals. Simple, few. You can do it! It's super cool that you have a Chinese place that will cook oil-free for you. What a gift.

Keep us posted
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby amandamechele » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:23 am

Thanks Buns! It is a gift. One of the waitstaff is just an exceptionally friendly and kind girl and she was willing to keep trying to get it right. The first couple of times we went, there was still some oil, or soy sauce, or the tofu would be fried. I had to be really clear and convince her I really did just want plain plain food. Once she knew what I wanted she then made suggestions on what to ask for and how to make it cheaper. Now she just places the order when she sees me come in. I hope she never leaves her job! LOL.

This week’s update:

I mostly met my goals.
Thursday to Monday morning I was away. Ate regular McDougall plan for all meals except 1 restaurant meal that had some oil in it (grilled farmhouse veggies with rice).
Since Monday - met main goals 1 and 2.
Since Wednesday - met all 3 main goals.
Didn’t eat out.
Met a friend for a drink and kept it to plain green tea.
Skipped out on a dinner tonight and relaxed quietly at home with 1 of the kids - no need to tempt myself so early in the process.
Abstained from alcohol.
Didn’t exercise.

That’s it. Now to repeat the Monday-Friday portion this coming week. :)
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:25 am

This week I met almost all of my goals. I misspoke last week, and neglected to note that I am still eating more fruit than is recommended on the MWL program. That continued this week, but I was able to cut out all added salt. I added garlic powder to a lot of things...and it has never tasted as delicious as it does now...LOL.
I had a big loss and am sure that it is mostly due to the change in sodium intake, so next week will be a more true measure of what I may lose per week when following the guidelines to this degree. Here’s hoping I can keep it up!

Happy American Thanksgiving to all of my McDougalling American friends!

:)
amandamechele

Postby AnnetteW » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:12 am

I like the idea of setting a weekly goal. I think I'll contemplate the weekly goal and also the monthly goal (which I kind of have in my head). Good luck this week.
AnnetteW

Postby Ejeff » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:13 am

Great you had a big loss! I’m going to try using the garlic powder instead of the salt shaker too.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby amandamechele » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:59 am

Annette - thanks! I find the longer term goal never leaves my head...LOL. But since it’s daunting, it inspires feelings of impotence and incapability. So breaking it up into these shorter term goals is much more palatable. I try not to put a timeframe on even these smaller goals because that can also set up a negative set of feelings if I don’t meet them. I just keep working on that long-term goal indirectly via the shorter term goals chosen to increase the likelihood of meeting the longer term one. LOL. I’m beginning to talk in circles so I’d better stop...talking in circles... :P

EJeff - I hope you found the garlic powder as delicious as I do. There is a negative side effect I should warn you about. You may notice difficulty engaging in small talk in long shopping lines and no longer need to worry about people crowding into your personal space in elevators. Hmmm, maybe not so negative after all...LOL.

I forgot to check in here this week. This week wasn’t quite as compliant as I wanted but still plain/simple enough to keep my appetite satisfied at a regular level and avoid exploring the tail end of my cram circuit...LOL.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 pm

Pretty good week. Met almost all goals.
I sprinkled salt on my food twice, though, which did have me eat more but I still lost weight and it didn’t cascade into any gigantic blunder or compulsive eating. So there’s that, thank goodness. Still intend to continue to try and avoid adding it completely. The plain food does taste good enough, and some foods taste delicious...but I’m still feeling slightly unsatisfied (not due to under eating - that’s never been my issue...LOL). I’m going to try for 4 months or so of no added salt and see if I stop wishing for a little more zing.
It’s that hardest of lessons to learn for me ... to stop tempting myself.
I’ll get there. :)

Three more check-ins here to satisfy my year ending goal.
amandamechele

Postby AnnetteW » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:23 am

Are you able to eat things like oats and other breakfast "porridges" salt free? I make mine every morning, take a taste, and then sprinkle on the salt. Perhaps I can drop down 1 shake of salt a day, but dang, it just makes me gag.

The salt is definitely one of my hold outs, and I know it would do me good as I do have a tendency towards higher blood pressure.
AnnetteW

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Interesting! I’ve never put salt on my breakfast. It never occurred to me.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:45 am

It never occurred to me to put salt on oats either. But I usually have some fruit in my oats. I add cinnamon and cloves also so it’s more of a sweet meal as opposed to salty. I always like to salt my fries, but the other day I dipped them in malt vinegar and then I didn’t miss the salt.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:09 am

My few dashes of salt don't make it salty, I don't know, it's just what I've always done. Like bread without salt is nasty. I decided I'll stick with my dashes of salt, along with my dash of stevia powder. Now, I can eat rice totally plain or pasta, but my morning porridge, no matter the type, gets a bit of salt.
AnnetteW

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:04 am

I gotta have salt with my oats or grits. They are not palatable without. But since I'm not restricting salt, I don't worry about it. Whenever I cook, I share and tell people "It needs salt" :lol:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby amandamechele » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:29 pm

Hi all :)

I’ve never tried salt on my oats either, but I’m sure it tastes wonderful with a savoury dish. If salt isn’t causing you health issues or increasing your consumption too much, I figure enjoy it. Annette, maybe for the blood pressure issues, you could try eliminating it and see how much it helps. I have borderline high blood pressure and am trying this route too. Hopefully for a double vascular health and weight loss (due to food not being as stimulating to me) benefit which is really mutually reinforcing the resolving of each issue.

I forgot to check in this weekend....

Nope, that’s not true.

This past week didn’t go according to plan and I just didn’t want to face it then. I’m getting back on track and will be good to go in a few days. Not gonna overthink this.
Wash, rinse, repeat. XO
amandamechele

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals