Dairy Trend - This is interesting

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dairy Trend - This is interesting

Postby Poison Ivy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:53 pm

This will not impact me one way or the other. I do not eat dairy products but I also do not like the PB milk products either but I find this trend interesting. I drink mostly water, a little alcohol from time to time, and a can or two of ginger ale each month. I do miss all the soda I use to drink, but came to the realization that stuff is really bad for you.

America's largest milk producer files for bankruptcy

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/12/business ... index.html
Poison Ivy

Re: Dairy Trend - This is interesting

Postby Grammy Ginger » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm

I know it's good for the planet, good for the animals, and good for humans that dairies shut down. However, I feel sorry for dairy farmers. My grandfather and his siblings were dairymen after inheriting from their father. They lost the farm after a series of droughts and after statehood brought high taxes. They were good people and had no idea that their hard work was so destructive on so many levels. Still, I'm glad that more and more dairies are closing their doors. It's a bittersweet situation for many.
Grammy Ginger

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm

I just saw that headline! wow, change is happening.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Poison Ivy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Grammy Ginger wrote:I know it's good for the planet, good for the animals, and good for humans that dairies shut down. However, I feel sorry for dairy farmers. My grandfather and his siblings were dairymen after inheriting from their father. They lost the farm after a series of droughts and after statehood brought high taxes. They were good people and had no idea that their hard work was so destructive on so many levels. Still, I'm glad that more and more dairies are closing their doors. It's a bittersweet situation for many.
True Grammy!
Poison Ivy

Postby michaelswarm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:02 pm

The company is saddled with debt and has been unable to fund all of its workers' pensions. So on Tuesday, Dean Foods filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection to keep the business operating, reorganize its debt and help fund the pensions while it looks to sell the company.

and

That's not the only problem Dean Foods has faced. Walmart (WMT), which was one of Dean Food's biggest customers, dropped them last year after building its own dairy plant.

Sounds like too much debt, too many liabilities, and major customer becoming a competitor. Unsaid is Walmart must have just investeted in additional dairy processing capacity. Plant milk being blamed for poor managemnt and forecasting.
michaelswarm

Postby f1jim » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:46 am

Well, the numbers say it all. Plant milk sales soaring, cows milk dales on a four year skid.
This means those in the dairy chain are scrambling to replace lost profits. Probably what Walmart is doing by buying production.
I see the ads on TV for "real" milk all the time. They are fighting back but the reality is it's a lost battle.
The word is spreading and you can't stop a grass roots movement. There will always be a dairy business but it will be smaller and more segmented.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby DenverGuy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:23 am

The population of the U.S. is up by over 100,000,000 during that period and milk sales are still down by 40%. That says a lot.
DenverGuy

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:56 pm

DenverGuy wrote:The population of the U.S. is up by over 100,000,000 during that period and milk sales are still down by 40%. That says a lot.

I don't know, but maybe milk and it's by-products are not used as much by people who have come to America, who I would think are a fairly large % of the increase of the population.

I'm glad people's eyes are being opened!! But I agree with Grammy Ginger about it being bittersweet. Most of the smaller dairy farmers are salt of the earth people who put their whole lives, blood, sweat, and tears into their farm and the items they produce. It's unfortunate that they work in an industry that isn't good for humans or the animals.

I remember hearing that Walmart bought their own dairy production. Wonder if they're getting a lot of that milk from China?
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Seeing how immigrants only make up 14% of the US population, they are not a big enough segment to impact dairy sales so dramatically. https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic/20 ... on-change/

Here is Walmart propaganda regarding milk sourcing: https://youtu.be/ADQvBbvP9pM
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Acura » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:38 pm

While people may be able to find plant based alternatives when it comes to milk. I don't know what plant based alternative would replace cheese. It would be a while before the cheese sales would show a similar trend. Dairy is here to stay for quite some time, Cheese is hard to be replaced.
CC
Acura

Postby f1jim » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:42 pm

I would recommend Miyoku cheeses. They have two with no oil. Very tasty and some say addicting!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby JeffN » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:02 pm

We have yet to find a commercial vegan cheese product that even comes close to passing our guidelines. Most are not only as high in fat but as high in saturated fat (if not more) then regular cheese. Most all, if not all, also contain oil, often coconut oil. The oil free ones I have checked are 70% fat, 10% saturated fat and 1621 cal/lb

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby f1jim » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Thank goodness we have Jeff. When you use me as an example it could get messy!
Thanks Jeff
f1jim
f1jim

Postby JeffN » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:19 pm

f1jim wrote:Thank goodness we have Jeff. When you use me as an example it could get messy!
Thanks Jeff
f1jim

You are a good sport :)

I now do a Label Reading lecture, Pt 2 to cover all these vegan fake meat and cheese products and I compare them to the real thing and except for a few mg of cholesterol, the vegan products are as bad, if not worse

We are even getting former participants coming back to the program because their body weight and all their lipid numbers went up and they credit this to all the vegan fake meats and cheeses.

Caveat Emptor!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Acura » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:40 pm

f1jim wrote:Thank goodness we have Jeff. When you use me as an example it could get messy!
Thanks Jeff
f1jim

You are up there with Jeff, Jim, how could you miss that? I was about to ask you did that cheese pass Jeff's test and then I saw the posts below. I was going to ask you what is that supposedly vegan cheese made up of?
CC
Acura

Next

Return to The Lounge