Pasta Sauce recommendation/recipe

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pasta Sauce recommendation/recipe

Postby MickeysBackyard » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:15 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for pasta sauce you use all of the time? I've yet to find a recipe or jarred sauce I really like "out of the box" and usually end up "stir frying" my cooked pasta and the sauce to concentrate the flavors (and increase the calorie density- grrr). I tried the Engine 2 sauces that I think are ok, but really quite watery.
MickeysBackyard

Re: Pasta Sauce recommendation/recipe

Postby sirdle » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:17 am

MickeysBackyard wrote:I tried the Engine 2 sauces that I think are ok, but really quite watery.

If haven't tried this, but what if you mixed the E2 sauce with a can of no-salt diced tomatoes? Or some tomato paste?
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:34 pm

We’ve been using Prego Lower Calorie lately. It’s high in sodium and has sugar, but is reasonably priced and widely available. ALDI also has two organic varieties that are oil free and cheap.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Can adjust to suit your tastes. You can adjust the thickness by how much you reduce. Thicker has more flavor. Because vegetables have such low calorie density to begin with (tomatoes about 100 calories per pound), reducing by 1/2 should still only double calorie density to only 200 calories per pound. Family recipe from my mother.

Pasta Sauce
Use this basic marinara sauce for spaghetti, pizza, bread dipping, etc. Can add steamed and reduced spring vegetables to make primavera sauce. When tomatoes are abundant, we make this sauce almost weekly. The fresh ingredients nearly fill my small 4 qt pressure cooker. The finished sauce makes 6 cups (1.5 qt).

MAIN
- 1/2 onion
- 1 sm or 1/2 lg carrot, sliced
- 1 sm-med zucchini, peeled and sliced
- 20-30 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup water

SPICE
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt

Add all ingredients to pressure cooker with 1/2 cup water, cover and bring to pressure. Turn off heat and allow to release pressure. Blend steamed vegetables in high speed blender. Because contents are very hot, take care to not fill more than half, and gradually increase speed from low to high. Process in batches. Pour pureed sauce into large saucepan on hot plate at low heat. Simmer slowly, just under boiling, to reduce volume by roughly half. Allow to cool and transfer into containers for refrigeration or freezing.
michaelswarm

Postby Hal » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:34 pm

Scarpones Tomato Puree (crushed tomatoes) , makes the richest thickest sauce for spaghetti. All others pale (literally) by comparison, or at least in my area. I use a lot so i stopped using cans are get it by the bottle.

Stir in crushed garlic and basil flakes to taste. Drain spaghetti and smother noodles with sauce. Heat in micro for ~3 minutes, to fuse the spices and cook the garlic into the sauce a bit.
Hal

Postby Jack Monzon » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:58 pm

Trader Joe’s has a spaghetti sauce that is McDougall-compliant.
Jack Monzon

Postby vegman » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:26 am

I like simple food, and as a pasta sauce often use just plain Pomi strained tomatoes. I also like it with potatoes, instead of ketchup.

I use Pomi chopped for things like soups.
vegman

Postby EvanG » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:59 pm

michaelswarm wrote:Can adjust to suit your tastes. You can adjust the thickness by how much you reduce. Thicker has more flavor...

When I want to make my own, I follow this same basic procedure, but often use celery instead of zucchini. You also do not need to pressure cook. This can be cooked on a stove-top, which will reduce it as it cooks. Definitely adjust to taste with your favorite spices. Most of the time, I just use a jarred sauce if using tomato.
-----
Started in June 2012 at 39
Lost 25 lbs. Feel great.
EvanG

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:05 pm

I recently bought the Aldi one, and it's going to be my go-to store bought sauce. Having some tonight in fact.
AnnetteW

Postby haze5736 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:39 am

I made a batch of sauce this past Sunday that I thought came out really well. I used the ingredients below. I did not measure anything. I decided to experiment with butternut squash as a thickener instead of tomato paste since it is squash season. My wife and son thought it was great. The squash added sweetness and a really nice texture. It was almost like when we used to add butter to our sauce. I did not puree the squash. It was roasted in the oven, cut in half. It was pretty soft and disappeared pretty well into the sauce. I had to mash some clumps with the back of the spoon. Next time I will probably mash it with a fork before adding it.

28 oz can diced tomatoes
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
rosemary
thyme
oregano
basil
parsley
salt + pepper
butternut squash
haze5736

Postby Okra Lover » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:33 am

I order Delallo oil free Marinara sauce online from the company. I buy it by the case lol. It's thick and very tasty.
Okra Lover

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning