Maybe a baby in 2017

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Maybe a baby in 2017

Postby Lyndzie » Mon May 27, 2019 7:07 pm

As of last Friday Mae is 11 months old! Time sure does fly. She’s quite chatty, always babbling, and has a working vocabulary of about seven words: hi, ball, more, guitar, dada, all done, uh oh. She’s friendly, and says hi all the time to strangers, which is quite amusing in busy places and she’s greeting so many people. It brings a smile to everyone’s faces.

Mae is on to three solid meals a day. For breakfast she usually has banana, Cheerios and maybe something else like raisins or strawberries, possibly oatmeal or a crust of toast. Lunch is generally a version of whatever we’re having, same with dinner. For instance, dinner tonight was tacos, so Mae had black beans and frozen peas as finger food, and I spoon fed her rice and a sweet potato/corn purée. She’s been getting about 4 oz of baby food every day. If I had time, I’d make my own, but at this point it’s store-bought. I’ve focused on the starch-based ones, because they have more calories than the fruit or veggie only ones, and I don’t need to fill her belly with something light. She has water in a sippy cup.

She’s still nursing, of course! She nurses before her morning and afternoon naps, and at bedtime, and two or three times at night. I don’t mind the night nursing, she sleeps pretty well now that she eats solids, and I still haven’t gotten my period back, so that’s a win in my book.

This last weekend we flew to New York City to go to my sister’s wedding. She got married on Friday, their three year anniversary. They were written about in the New York Times!

We trucked our whole fam, me, hubby and the three kids, through the big city. I was super stressed about it, but once I got there was totally fine. In high school I did a summer program at the Fashion Institute of Technology, so I was a little familiar with the city, and I also used to live in downtown San Francisco and studied abroad in Paris, so all my fears about losing my kids in a large city turned out to be a little exaggerated. They did need to learn a little about staying close and small personal space, but they quickly caught on.

My food choices left much to be desired, but I still lost 1/2 lb with all the walking we did.

That’s all for now. Best to everyone!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Mon May 27, 2019 7:18 pm

Salo wrote:
Lyndzie wrote:...but since I’m so petite I can’t imagine she’d be too terribly tall.

I thought so as well :mrgreen: But now I am told at least once a year my son is too tall for his age.

Lyndzie wrote:A few measles cases have been reported here

Was is it that measles break out again everywhere? :(
We have a lot of cases here in Germany as well. Currently children are only allowed to go to school with valid vaccination cards. Now they are discussing this for kindergarten children as well.

Salo, somehow I totally missed this post. Sorry for not acknowledging it. In regards to vaccinations, most places here let you decline them for “personal reasons,” but with the current health crisis those rules are changing. I’m all about personal liberty, but when people chose not to vaccinate they are endangering the lives of other people. According to WHO, vaccinations save the lives of 2-3 million people per year, most under the age of 5. We’ve got to take care of the littles!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:25 pm

Mae turned 1 today!

Happy Birthday Baby Mae!

I will get a pic up as soon as I’m on a computer. Currently typing on my phone.

Yes, a whole year has gone by. She’s not walking yet, but has a full vocabulary (hi, bye bye, dada, mama, more, guitar, beautiful, Audria, thank you, uh oh, water, cracker, etc). She has a sense of humor which is even funnier because it’s a baby making jokes. And she’s the friendliest person I’ve ever met. Seriously, this is not an exaggeration, strangers even comment on it. She says hi to everyone, it’s like she’s practicing to be a Walmart greeter. You should see her in an airport, she canMt say hi fast enough!

Admittedly, she doesn’t sleep very well at night. She was in a good place, only getting up twice (which I’m fine with), but she got sick a couple weeks ago and hasn’t gotten back to that. I am trying to feed her well during the day so that she can sleep soundly at night. She’s still little, and I’m trying to enjoy these moments while they’re here. (Side note: this morning she woke up at 5 am ready to start the day, then was ready for a nap at 8 am. Hopefully she sleeps later today!)

We are aiming to nurse until 2. She’s very good about nursing, and can go quite long stretches, so I am able to leave her with people (my mom or my husband) and get a little time away.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:36 am

Happy Birthday, Mae!

(I remember those long nights so vividly from when my daughter was that age! :eek: )
Mark Cooper

Postby Fuzzy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:09 am

Happy birthday Mae! Can't wait to see you with the candle :)

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time at night. Hope it turns around in the next couple of weeks at least!
Fuzzy

Postby Ejeff » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:03 am

Happy Birthday Mae! That is so nice she is friendly to all people. I think she probably gets that from her Mom, as you seem to be a very positive person :-D

And yes it’s so good you are taking it all in and enjoying your time with her. Looking forward to the picture.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:43 am

Yay birthdays! Happy Birthday to Mae!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby SilverDollar123 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:47 pm

Happy Birthday Mae! They grow up too quick! RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby Suey51 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:13 am

Belated Happy Birthday Mae! xx
Suey51

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:20 pm

Mae is 2!!

Those are my other two girls with remnants of face paint on. The redhead on the left is Gwendolyn (6 years old), and Audria is on the right (7 years old).

Gosh, I wish there was more hours in the day. I am falling behind on my favorite past time - reading the forum! When the coronavirus hit this spring, I started off really strong with healthy eating, until my husband surprised me with my favorite chocolate - Cadbury bunny eggs. Easter is a bigger problem for me than Christmas! That was the beginning of a rough patch, but thankfully I regained my footing eventually, but to be quite honest it was a solid six weeks of just plain embarrassing eating. The uncertainty about the future is really hard, even though my husband’s job was not impacted by the shutdowns.

But, enough about me, here are a couple of baby photos:

This is Mae last year when she turned one...how embarrassing that I never got this posted! Well, having little kids is definitely time consuming.

Last July 2019. Just a little static.

And, fast forward to yesterday:

This kid has quite a vocabulary. She knows all the usual words you would expect, plus odd ones like “empty” (usually kids this little would say “all gone”). And she can count to 11. But she does refer to cats as “meow.”

When she started transitioning from two naps to one I rearranged our schedule to revolve around her nap time, and she has become a really good napper. Unfortunately, I’m a bit of a sucker for bedtime snuggles, so if she wakes up at night I just bring her into bed with me, and that definitely happens a little too often.

We reached the milestone of breastfeeding for two years! Man, I contemplated throwing in the towel so many times. She’s the third kid, and nursing lost it’s magic at around the 13 month mark, but we kept at it. Nursing completely on demand was draining me, so I decided that I would nurse for naps and bedtime when she was around a year and a half, and that was the ticket to keep going. Just in the past month my husband has been putting her to bed at night regularly, so we’re down to nursing once a day at naptime. I’m not sure how much longer we’ll do this, but it’s going fine for now.

I got these plates for my two older girls, and now Mae has her own special plate, too. She’s quite possessive of it!

For her birthday cake, I made a simple WWII chocolate cake (called a wacky cake), substituting vanilla soy yogurt for the oil. It was ok, but really needs some sort of frosting (I just dusted it with powdered sugar).

That’s it for this update. Hopefully I’ll make it back sooner than later! Best to everyone.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Daydream » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:30 am

Lyndzie!! Your daughters are adorable! Our kids are all grown up now but my husband and I love spending time with our two grandsons (ages 1 and 5).
Daydream

Postby Ejeff » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:58 am

Your daughters are so beautiful. I love the picture with the static hair. :-D

Happy Birthday to Mae! My oldest turned 30 today. He is a lemon fan so my hubby is baking a lemon cake.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:33 pm

What amazing kids! A very happy birthday to Mae! Posey turned 7 earlier this month - those years just seem to fly by.
Mark Cooper

Postby jamietwo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:55 am

You have darling daughters! Happy Birthday to your "baby"! :D
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby SilverDollar123 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:32 pm

Thanks for the pictures. Mae is sooo cute,as the other ones are too!
Enjoy them while they are young...we will always be here,but they are more important.
ras
SilverDollar123

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals