Maybe a baby in 2017

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Maybe a baby in 2017

Postby Ejeff » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:31 am

She is so very sweet! You are such a great Mom. Thinking back I can remember pushing my kids to drink milk as it was what I learned and advertised everywhere. As I can’t turn back the clock my current goal is to keep reinforcing planted based eating to my adult kids in the hopes that it rubs off and they at least consume less dairy and meat.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:30 am

Oh you DOLL! what fun :) :) :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Daydream » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:50 am

Mae is adorable! Thank you for sharing those photos.
Daydream

Postby Fuzzy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:52 am

Oh my gosh your baby girl is totally adorable!!! Thank you for sharing these lovely photos! How is the feeding going? This cheerios seem like a great idea. Developing motor skills and patience as well. Haha I remember my little brother drooling all around the apartment. When he was a bit older he even slipped up on his own spit which I found incredibly funny.
Looking forward to news!
Fuzzy

Postby Rosey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:37 am

awww. love the baby pictures. Enjoy them well young they grow up way to fast.
Rosey

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:15 pm

Sometimes I use the search function to find a recipe I posted in this journal, and I am so glad I kept it. I started reading old posts from when I found out I was expecting, and it was so nice to walk down memory lane. The little comments relating the baby to a food (sesame seed, lentil, etc) was mind boggling as I sit and rock a sleeping eight month old. Wow.

Mae is a solid 19 lbs 3 oz. She’s just cutting her first top tooth (the right one), crawls beautifully, can sit up in her own and licks everything, including the cats. Still nursing, and enjoying Cheerios, bananas, sweet potatoes and black beans.

It’s moments like these that you remember that life is so good.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby sirdle » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Lyndzie wrote:It’s moments like these that you remember that life is so good.

:-P :-P :-P

Cheers,
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:08 am

Hi all.

This past month has been a bumpy one for me. First, I moved into a house without a functioning kitchen. Then, an out of town wedding/vacation staying in someone else’s house. Next, back to our new house, but kitchen still underway. Finally got the kitchen completed, then my middle child had a birthday (she’s 5! Wow!!). It was one challenge after another. Also, why is there so much Easter candy everywhere?!

Yesterday I finally got my feet back underneath me and had a full day of my usual eating habits. It feels good to be back in the groove of regular eating. I’m sure with more effort I could have stayed on plan more, but a person only has so much energy to swim upstream, so to speak. I have a lot of empathy for those who struggle with the changes. Depending on what a person has going on, it can be really tough. Thankfully WFPB is my default, so it was more about getting back to normal than changing what normal is.

I’m up a few pounds from the off-plan food, but with the kitchen set up it should melt off.

Mae is now over 9 months old. She has a check up next week where we’ll get the official weight and length. I’m pretty sure she’s outgrown her car seat, I just don’t want to give it up just yet. She falls asleep in it while we’re out and about, and I like that convienience of being able to snap the seat into a stroller or bring it inside without disturbing her sleep.

My sister made (rather, I made it for her, she had already bought the ingredients) this delicious grain and lentil bowl. I omitted the oil. When I tried to make it at home, I totally screwed it up and over cooked both the lentils and farro, so it was mushy instead of toothsome. https://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/12/light ... dess-bowl/ Trying again today with properly cooked grains. It’s the perfect type of salad for this time of year.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:52 pm

Had my annual physical with a new doctor today. Weighed in at 116.5 lbs - egads! All that off plan food this month has finally caught up with me. I weighed myself last Saturday and it was 112. I’ll check the next few days and see how it fluctuates.

Another interesting thing is my blood pressure. The nurse did my right arm and got a reading of 105/67, which is high for me. She waited a few minutes and checked my left arm, and got 85/65! That’s a big difference.

Also, it’s become extremely obvious that soy gives me joint pain. I love stir fries. Any soy sauce replacement ideas would be appreciated. First no sesame oil, and now this! Oh well, there are definitely worse things.

I’m going to get my lipid panel done in about a month. I need to give myself a stretch of adherence first, otherwise it’s just going to reflect a rough month, not my regular diet/lifestyle.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:31 pm

Hey Lindsey,

Hope you are well!

The extra weight could easily be water weight from excess salt, which could also be a factor in your blood pressure. However, most likely the first blood pressure reading was from not taking it in a rested, non-speaking state. Don't worry about it, especially given the second reading.

An idea for soy sauce replacement is vinegars like white, balsamic or rice.

Take care,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Ejeff » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:02 am

I never pay attention to what the doctors scale says, they always show me as heavier than my home scale. Every scale is different so I think the important thing is to weigh on the same scale so results are more accurate over time. Not sure about soy sauce replacement, but I have found using lime or lemon juice on rice with some cilantro is tasty.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:36 pm

Scott - thanks for the vinegar tip! I used rice vinegar in lunch today and it worked.

Erin - Thanks the the citrus tip! I’ll give that a try, too.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:24 pm

Great to hear!
Ltldogg

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Mae had her check up today and is weighing in at a hefty 19 lbs 7 oz (8.817 kg for our metric friends) and 28.5 inches long (72 cm). She’s slowing down as far as weight and length are concerned, but since I’m so petite I can’t imagine she’d be too terribly tall.

We have a wedding in NYC next month, and decided to go ahead and get the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine early due to the measles outbreak there. A few measles cases have been reported here, all from travel to places with active measles cases, and I was concerned about it for two reasons: 1) I don’t want my infant to get measles and 2) I don’t want to spread it here. Most of our social circle is “alternative thinkers,” so to speak, and do not vaccinate. I am grateful that Dr. McDougall has researched the matter and gives health advice that I trust.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Salo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:17 am

Lyndzie wrote:...but since I’m so petite I can’t imagine she’d be too terribly tall.

I thought so as well :mrgreen: But now I am told at least once a year my son is too tall for his age.

Lyndzie wrote:A few measles cases have been reported here

Was is it that measles break out again everywhere? :(
We have a lot of cases here in Germany as well. Currently children are only allowed to go to school with valid vaccination cards. Now they are discussing this for kindergarten children as well.
Salo

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals