Accountability Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Accountability Journal

Postby taz432 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:02 am

As usual, I was easily on the MWL plan for 2 weeks, and then something happened and fell off the plan. What made it even harder to get back to MWL was the fact that we have many foods I crave in the house, that are for other family members. Now that I've eaten them all, I think it is time to try again :-D

So, for one thing, I'm going to see if the family will be able to hold off on having the foods I crave in the house for just 1 week until I'm back on plan. Once I'm on plan for a while, I'm able to pass them up. And I'm going to try to make some simple things I can eat for the next week today and tomorrow. Today I'll make barley and add in some frozen veg and canned beans and salsa. Tomorrow I'll make a really big batch of veg soup and something else. I can't decide whether I want to make something good or something simple. I made this really good Indian dish with no fat, potatoes, peas, and had it with white basmati rice and feel like that was almost the beginning of me going off track because it was so good and I was overeating it. So maybe I will just try boiling up a bunch of potatoes, veggies, grains and see how it goes. The idea of boiled potatoes sounds unappetizing but will try it since it sounds faster.

Today, so far:
Breakfast - 1 big piece of sourdough bread, Amy's vegan burrito, 4-6 small peppermint patties
Rest of day plans:
Lunch - grain/bean/veg dish
Snacks - chopped veg, oatmeal with blueberries - got to make this ahead of time also
Dinner - will thaw out that Indian dish I saved but will have it with barley instead of basmati, and banana for dessert, will get lots more decaf tea for night-time
taz432

Re: Accountability Journal

Postby taz432 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:33 am

Made it through 1 day no problem. I'll keep journaling in here for 28 days to see what happens.
I felt like my energy went up yesterday and was actually hungry for breakfast today.

Today's plan:
Breakfast: Oatmeal with blueberries
Lunch: Barley, veg, black beans for lunch
Dinner: Salad, Indian stew or chili, barley, banana
Snack: Sweet potato fries, chopped veg

Going to make a lot of veg soup, chili and quinoa today
taz432

Postby taz432 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:57 pm

I guess today is day 3. I had plain barley, beans, and frozen veg packed for lunch. I just didn't feel like cooking chili. The food actually tasted really good because I was hungry by 11. I think I'm just going to have plain food for the rest of the week and see how it goes. I had a lot of white sweet potatoes for my snack yesterday, with snap peas first, and felt like I was eating too much but it's better than eating bread and cookies and chocolate. I think I'm going to pack the sweet potatoes and veg to eat at work at 3 since I'm over-hungry by the time I get home.

Today:
Oatmeal with blueberries
Barley, beans, veg
Sugar snap peas, white sweet potatoes
Potato, canned chili, salad, banana
taz432

Postby taz432 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:54 pm

Day 4
Made it. Packing more food for work helped but I am still slightly hungry. Not ravenous like before though. Going to get more beans, grains and frozen veg ready tonight for the rest of the week.
taz432

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:18 am

It looks like you're doing pretty good! It is a good idea to keep the SAD junk foods out of your environment at first, but it does get easier. My fiance told me "Just Don't Eat It" when I first started and asked him not to bring junk food in the house...Just Don't Eat It became my mantra (though I got out of the habit of following it :lol:) As for eating "too much"... for some people feeling hungry at first is a thing. I wouldn't worry about eating too much of plain boiled potatoes. Other than possibly it triggering an overeating/gluttony thing, I guess, but you won't be getting too much calories due to calorie density.

But do keep posting here. There's good support in the journals, and at other forums. Keep it up!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby taz432 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks bunsofaluminum! I will keep that in mind, that I'm not overeating.

Last night, I had what I planned but was still hungry so had oatmeal with blueberries which was weird for me. I guess I have that diet mentality where I normally think I'm not eating right unless my extra food is veggies with starch or fruit but I just tried it. I was full enough, it wasn't totally fun to eat that way but I stayed on track. I think I got so hungry because I only ate about 2 cups of food for lunch and dinner.

Yesterday lunch: 1 cup barley, 1/2 c beans, 1/2 c veg
Yesterday dinner: 1 medium potato, some red sauce, 1/2 c beans, 1/2 c veg, banana

So today I ate a lot more, probably 3-4 cups at lunch of really plain food again. I really need to cook something because I was hungry enough to eat all of it but it wasn't fun.

Had my usual snack and tonight I'll have 2 potatoes and more veg and pretty much the same thing, minus the oatmeal
taz432

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:40 am

When I first started and mentioned feeling hungry, people just told me to eat a potato! LOL It looks like you're doing fine with your choices, though. I think you're smashing this!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby taz432 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 am

Hi bunsofaluminum, thanks for the support!

Still on plan yesterday. Made roasted brussels sprouts and had with some lemon and salt and pepper and they were good. Much lighter than my old way of cooking them. Can't wait to try this with asparagus.

Been having 1 1/2 potatoes cubed, then boiled, with a little red sauce and kidney beans and garlic powder and it was so good and so satisfying. It still feels a little wrong to eat a potato when I'm hungry to be honest but I'm going to try keeping some boiled ones in the fridge just in case. I'm at a lower weight that I usually start moving up from so it will be interesting to see if the weight still goes down. I'm 138.8 and want to get to 115. I started at 145, but really ranged from 141-145 normally and couldn't seem to break out of that range for long.
taz432

Postby taz432 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi, back again. I'm going to try cooking these meals with 5 basic ingredients in the link for MWL. I'm not weighing myself because I get too wrapped up in the numbers. I'm guessing I weigh 5-10lbs more than when I last was on here. I'll go by pants sizes, right now a tight 12. For the last year and a half, been doing a lot of listening to WFPB youtube, and podcasts and am convinced this is best for everyone's health.

Have been through the same cycles of wanting to have nice things to eat but then not having enough food midweek and not wanting to cook again, so eating things like peanut butter toast or the cookies and candy that other people bought. Since running out of food is such a major pattern over the years, and I feel like I'm fine if I have food ready to eat, I'm going to try those 5 basic ingredient recipes only for a while, and stop being fancy about food. I want it to be as easy as making rice practically. Making chili isn't too hard, but you have to chop veggies and sometimes I just don't feel like it. I know what foods to eat and am comfortable not eating meat or dairy, just keep getting caught with no good food to eat and getting really hungry.

I will check in Saturday's and post what I eat here. Today was really bad but I'm giving myself a pass because I had no prepared food.
Breakfast: a little leftover chili and rice, collard greens, sweet potatoes
Lunch: 2 servings homemade mac n cheese, probably 1/2 c. or more choc chips
Dinner: ? Not too hungry so will try to get started with one of these recipes
Will make sure I have plans for the week ahead so there is always something to eat.
taz432

Postby taz432 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:12 pm

Sunday: oatmeal with blueberries
longevity soup, sweet potato fries, 1 nectarine
longevity soup, 3 pcs bread, raisin bagel, actually helped to have this journal or I would have looked for more food

Mon: ate more since was starving Sun night
oatmeal with blueberries, 1TB walnuts, a banana
longevity soup, sweet potato fries
snack: 2 nectarines
5 ingredient chili with rice, 1 c collard greens, sweet potatoes, banana
taz432

Postby frowsyowl » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:59 am

Just stopping by to wave. I notice a lot of the same things that I go through...wanting interesting food, peppermint patties, etc. Good luck! :cool:
frowsyowl

Postby taz432 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:03 pm

Thanks for the comment frowsyowl!

I have been eating pretty much the same things every day. So far not hungry. Hope the key is just keeping food always around:
Oatmeal, raisins, 1 TB walnuts
chili, lot of cherries
5 ingred meal, nectarine

For the 5 ingred meals, I use 16 ou instead of 32 ou tomatoes. Like that way of cooking a lot. Will try to come up with some other ones.
taz432

Postby taz432 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:26 pm

This is a time where I'm not having cravings. Everything is going ok. Not sure how long this will last. Still making the 5 ingred meals, now I'm thinking I need to add more veggies to the beginning of the meal, like with MWL. Otherwise, everything is good. Will check in if I need to or next Sat. Will see if pants have gotten any looser in Oct. If they haven't, I'll have to take a look at why.

I read something in frowsyowl's posts about possibly having to accept a higher weight and wonder if that will be what I have to do? I'll see Oct. 11. I think I've been eating vegan pretty close and exercising for a year or so but with large breaks of eating tons of chocolate and sweets or non-vegan leftovers when I've been starving. I feel like even if I turn out not to lose weight, that would be disappointing and I would try to figure out why, but I'd still be happy for the good I'm doing for my health. I really think this is the way we should be eating.
taz432

Postby taz432 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:00 pm

Still able to eat well with no issues. There was one day when I waited too long for dinner and was tempted to eat some homemade mac n cheese but ate my usual dinner. Just waiting for the cravings to begin. Is it possible they won't? One thing I'm doing different this time is making everything from frozen vegetables and cans. The only think I'll cook is grains or potatoes which is not too hard. I made 2 new recipes for moroccan stew and pasta and beans by modifying my favorite recipes to use frozen veg. I had the morrocan stew today and it was really good. Frozen butternut squash is so much easier than peeling and chopping up fresh squash. In the past, I was against cooking using frozen veg because I thought from scratch was better tasting. The problem is I wouldn't be able to keep up cooking from scratch more than a week or two before having a day when I was too tired to cook and nothing was there but leftovers like mac n cheese or junk food so I ate that. I'm trying to get in the habit of cooking from frozen veg and not fresh veg for a while.

I also cook these big bags of chopped greens and have a cup of those before lunch and dinner. So far I don't think I've lost a ton of weight but will wait and check in Oct. I know that this has to be a lot better than how I had been eating the past few months. I'm hoping to see some change. If not a change in size, then I want to eventually get my cholesterol checked. That would have to be a lot better in a month or so.
taz432

Postby taz432 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:57 pm

I waited too long to eat dinner because I was busy and got really hungry. I still stuck to what I planned to eat mostly. i had a tiny amount of cashews and 2 dates for dessert. I told myself I would write in here what I ate because I was tempted to eat bread and bagels we have hanging around, and that would probably lead to wanting something sweet. But I made it without eating more and now I'm feeling pretty full.

But I think I will plan to cook some more stuff tomorrow and eat more at the same times of day.
taz432

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals