Buns in 2018

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns in 2018

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:19 am

I did some cooking yesterday. I started with the Brand New Vegan cheeze sauce, then made a pot of butternut yumminess that I want to repeat again and again. One butternut didn't make enough! It's just onion and garlic saute'd, cubed butternut squash with seasonings: yellow curry paste, powdered cumin, and salt. As it boiled, I put a scant 1/3 c. steel cut oats in to thicken it. It is absolutely scrumptious. delicious! yummy!

Another triumph was the rice dish I invented with rice and black beans from the freezer. After thawing, I stirred them together in a skillet, then added garlic, cumin, and chili powder and about half a big tub of pico de gallo. OMG! so good! I plan on making the cauliflower taco filling this afternoon for tacos with all the fixins including cheeze sauce :-D and a side of Mexican rice.

Sunday I spent with my daughter and her baby, and also reconnected with my oldest child, who has been in a bipolar depression the past several months, and I've missed him so much. But yesterday we got together for a bit and I was so sad, because he is so depressed. :( but I also had a Starbucks mocha latte (almond milk) and a piece of pumpkin bread. Off plan. Oh well.
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:11 am

Ha! I've lost four pounds! I was weighed when I had my blood taken for the hep/HIV panel after being assaulted, and I was weighed yesterday for my new patient visit with my new PCP Dr Parker. Same clothing, same type of scale. Four pounds! in three weeks. Isn't that cool...it's working!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:11 pm

I'm really proud of myself with the Cafe Rio today. A few of us at work decided to get it on the spur of the moment, and I exercised self control, big time. I didn't use the oil dressing, but instead got an extra pico and also spread the guac around in there a bit. I have hot sauce that I put over it, and the salad was spicy, crispy, with the right amount of "sauce" from the beans/rice, guac, and pico. And I did have a few nibbles of the scrumptious tortilla, but so much less than I usually do. I'm not counting that against myself. It's a green lunch! considering that my default setting for Cafe Rio is to clean my plate, leaving nothing...yeah...good going, me!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:41 am

Last night I made a quick batch of refrito soup, hearkening back to my start with McDougalling. I think it was a Novak recipe? anyway, I fixed and ate a lot of the stuff back in the day until I couldn't hardly stomach it, and haven't had it for years. Well I made some last night and it was delicious. I made some corn tortilla strips in my air fryer, they went nicely on top. I thought several thin slices of cucumber would be a good topper for it, too. Maybe next time.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:51 am

I love congee! It is clearly a poor man's meal, when you take one cup of rice and 10 cups of liquid and create eight or nine cups of food from it. I like it savory, with mushrooms and spinach added, then on a per-serving basis, add seasonings such as soy sauce, vinegar, hot sauce, etc.

They say the proper way of fixing it, is to make it more soupy than porridgey, and I've tried the looser version, but I like it gloppy far better. I didn't like the texture of the gruel, but I'd try it again if I knew the flavors that fit best.

congee= YUMMY!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:12 am

After dinner last night I was still so hungry, so I made two potatoes worth of air chips, and two potatoes worth of air fries. Yum! And I was zonked on the couch by 8:30, went to bed at 9:00 and slept like a log. Hmmmm.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:59 am

My plan was to make a huge batch of butternut curried ragout last night, but my son needed a ride to the dr so that ate up 90 minutes of my time. Today is payday and my plan was to do a grocery run during my lunch hour, but Wylie needed the car so THAT plan fell through. But there is still no food made...wait. I did make a box of La Goya rice and beans thinking it would be good for lunch today. Then I tasted it...SALT! oy! is that the ONLY flavor that boxed foods know?

So I set that aside and nuked two sweet potatoes and mashed them, added a little soy sauce and a sprinkle of garlic powder, and some frozen peas. That will be lunch, and I'll use the beans and rice in a big pot of soup because DAYUM why did I think that was so delicious a couple of months ago?
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Buns, I love this journal! It's so great to hear other people who are working on getting rid of those bad habits, and making a conscience effort to improve everyday. I'm glad I'm not the only one, you know??

So sorry to hear about the crazy guy at the convenience store. It sounds super traumatic, but you seem to have handled it well. Sending hugs via the Internet to you.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Buns, I love this journal! It's so great to hear other people who are working on getting rid of those bad habits, and making a conscience effort to improve everyday. I'm glad I'm not the only one, you know??

So sorry to hear about the crazy guy at the convenience store. It sounds super traumatic, but you seem to have handled it well. Sending hugs via the Internet to you.

thanks Lyndzie! You rock! It is helping me SO MUCH to have this calendar here, to see my progress, and YES! it is so motivating to read about other people's experiences with things. :) thanks for dropping by.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:44 am

On Saturday my daughter and I drove out to my best friend's country place for a little visit. Orion got to see the goats and chickens, and we came away with some tomato starts and a couple dozen eggs a piece. Fresh free range eggs are a treat. SO delicious. And I've had some twice in one week now. That's a lot even by my old "break-all-the-rules" habits BEFORE I started being strictly McDougall. SO... the eggs will keep. I don't have to eat all the eggs right now. They can still be a rare treat.

Goal: green days for the rest of the month! and eggs on Easter. That sounds about right.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 am

Yesterday when I got home from work, didn't want to cook, so we ordered Chinese in, which I already knew was loaded with oil. I could feel how greasy it was on my lips. Ugh.

And now the decision is flat out MADE. I'm eating this way, and I'm not compromising. Period. I couldn't be bothered to cook last night, so I ended up eating sodium and fat laden Chinese. The hot and sour was fat free at any rate. Geez. But even if I didn't want to cook, I could have had heated up the rice veggie soup, or the butternut ragout. I could have nuked a couple of potatoes and steamed broccoli. Didn't have to eat the dripping-with-oil food that they delivered. Didn't have to even call that restaurant because I already knew how off plan their food is.

Well, that's enough. I've had it up to HERE with my waffling and falling off the wagon and "just a taste'"ing of the brie cheese and the chocolate covered coffee beans. Just Don't Eat It. It ISN'T complicated.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:52 am

Going to make Thai Curried Rice this evening. Planning on a huge batch, and freeze half of it. Like I did with the Moroccan Sweet Potato stew last night. Also, I have a BOAT LOAD of potatoes. Most of them will be part of the family St Paddy's day feast, but I've got to do something with them. Mashed? Oooh! air fried!

Also, needing to make a not-cheese sauce so that'll be tonight too.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:48 am

Let's see, what food do I have at home, already made. Some Thai curried rice and some spicy butternut stew. In the freezer I have a couple servings of Moroccan Sweet Potato stew and some Thai curried Rice. In the fridge there's about 1.5 c rice cooked, and a little bit of couscous cooked. A LOT of potatoes, a LOT of carrots. And I have half a day off today so I'm going to be cooking. Some not-cheese sauce for sure, and probably a big batch of veggie marinara sauce since I have all the ingredients for it.

Mmm, I'm wanting a warm potato soup.

It isn't a great feeling, not really knowing what I'm gonna do for meals. Lunch today is an unknown, since I have a Dr appointment at 1:00 and leaving work at noon, I didn't bring lunch with me. I do have that second piece of peanut butter banana toast. I'll prolly eat that. Dinner is also unknown, but I DO know I'll be cooking today. Remedy that whole "ack! no food made!" feeling.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:04 am

OMG I'll never do that again: plain nuked potatoes with salsa and eat them in a hurry.

They were so dry, and i was in a hurry...damn near choked myself. But I didn't have anything in mind for brekkie and there was nothing prepared that I wanted to eat, because I need lunches to bring to work. Didn't want to use them. Ugh. It was pretty horrid.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:45 pm

Those fresh backyard eggs got me again today! but they sure were yummy.

I've been using pretzels as a sort of snack, because they are fat free. But I really need to start bringing baby carrots or some other veggie if I'm going to snack.

Really I don't want to get in the habit of snacking, because I've been clear of it for almost two years, and I've had more food sanity in those two years than EVER before in my life. Why would I break that now? :|
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals