March 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: March 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Svenja » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:40 am

Good Morning!

Amy ... you can put me down with a loss of 9 pounds for the last weeks. (I was on a fast, which is not part of the McDougall program, so I didn't weigh in the last weeks)
I gained half the weight that I lost back. That is ok with me, because my blood pressure is much better now and this is very important to me.

I didn't batch cook last Sunday for this last week, so food was more a challenge during the week the than usually. I will be back at batching tomorrow :)

I kept my 'no days off' policy on exercise going! Somehow it helps me if there is no question whether I'll be doing it or not. I'll just do it and if it's the last thing I do before going to bed. There might even be a hint of a muscle growing in my arms ;)

It's still -10°C here, lots of snow and ice ... but on Sunday it's suddenly supposed to start raining and I will be traveling on a highway on Monday ... this is gonna be interesting!
Stay save everybody !!!

Have a great weekend!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby olalka » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:57 am

Hi All!

Apologies that I am a bit late with my weigh in, we had a snowfall in Ireland and the country has gone mad as this doesn't really happen here :) everything came to a standstill, kids did not go to school and there are no supplies at the stores but myself and my husband went in for a hike in the mountains with our dogs as you do! :-D and it took us 6 hrs in the snow! it was amazing but we came back so tired I was not able to even move my pinky let alone write a post :nod: I am very proud of myself as this would not have been possible 2 mths ago, I've realised today I am down close to 21 lbs since January 1st and so far this has been the easiest 'diet' in my life!

I am reporting a loss of 1.7 lbs this week! so all delighted, we just keep ploughing on (literally :D )

Cheers everyone, enjoy your weekend!
olalka

Postby BeHealthy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi Amy,
You asked me what I was looking forward to preparing and eating. I think my favorite thing so far has been oatmeal, followed closely the most stupidly simple thing ever... diced boiled potato with some peas mixed in with a tiny bit of salt on top. Ha ha! I'm so easy. And it's all so good. I made a big batch of quinoa and roasted up some butternut squash and have been keeping things pretty simple, easy and good.
Ann
BeHealthy

Postby amandamechele » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:08 am

Hi Everyone!

Thank you, thank you for checking in this week. We are going to have a fabulous March!

Jeff Novick recently updated a thread in his forum entitled Salt - Low S-S vs No S-S. I think it is a very important conversation for you to take a look at.
The take-away is that most of us will probably do best being as least restrictive as the guidelines and our goals allow. This doesn't mean not doing our best to follow the MWL recommendations, but maybe, try not to make it any more difficult than necessary.

Jeff ends the discussion, wisely saying, Let's get back to, and focus on, what we know works... "A diet based predominately on a variety of minimally processed plants (fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, roots/tubers, whole grains and legumes) that is low in fat, saturated fat, calorie density, and low in added sugars, oils and salt.".

Best wishes this week reflecting and refining towards a better outcome!

Amy :)

PS. I had an actual zero loss for February. The evidence is in and further refinements are needed. I will admit to allowing 10 minutes this morning to wallow in disappointment, but that is all, then I went for a long walk. I'm happy to say that I was not eaten by any cougars or attacked by bears. So, I guess I'm ready to get back to my daily walk now that there aren't any more little fears stopping me - a city girl transplanted into the woods.

Here are the results for the first week in March:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, March 9th, 2018

Total group loss reported in 2018: 115.1 pounds

March 2018 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2018: 54.7 pounds
Total group loss in February 2018: 49.3 pounds
Total group loss in March 2018: 11.1 pounds

Week ending 03/02/2018: 12 participants reported a total loss of 11.1 pounds
---------------------------------------
Galooop - 1.6
Kirstykay - 2.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 3.6
--------------------------------------
Suey51 - 0.4
Landog - 1.0
BeHealthy - 0.0
Moonlight - 1.0
Sundog - 0.6
Kkrichar - 1.0
LizzyF - 0.0
Svenja - 9.0
Olalka - 1.7
amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 14.7
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in March 2018: 11.1 pounds
Week ending 03/02/2018: 12 participants reported a total loss of 11.1 pounds
amandamechele

Postby Suey51 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:23 am

I am feeling a little foolish today. Having shared with you my moment of success a couple of days ago, it felt right to share the flip side. Having decided to celebrate reaching this goal with a treat, I met a friend for coffee and ate a large vegan brownie. It was only afterwards when my abdomen started rumbling and gurgling that I realised what a stupid idea it was! And the painful irony of celebrating weight loss success following the McDougall program by eating a huge fat, sugar and white flour laden lump. I could almost see Dr McDougall, Dr Lisle and Jeff Novick looking at me with a ‘well, we did tell you’ look on their faces.

For some reason the song ‘life is a roller coaster’ has been running round my head since then :lol:

It's given me a sharp reminder that I still have a lot to learn. Since then, I’ve started making a list of treats that are healthy and mostly non-food. I’d love to hear any ideas that you guys have!

Well done to everyone who’s checked in this week, whether you’ve gained, lost or stayed the same xx
Suey51

Postby amandamechele » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:07 pm

Svenja - Congratulations on your loss over the past couple of weeks. I hope you were able to find time to batch cook for the coming week. It sounds like your workouts are paying off, flex those muscles! Travel safely. XO

olalka - Yikes, that must have been a huge amount of snow. I'm so happy for you, and this new life you are giving yourself. Congratulations for giving this such consistent effort. 21 pounds down! Shout it from the rooftops. :)

Ann - That sounds simply delicious.

Sue - LOL, great song, so fun! My wallowing is slightly less upbeat... Adele: Million Years Ago. I can get lost in her voice; this version doesn't have the haunting backup singers that the version I own does, its so much sadder and conducive to melancholy...LOL. :P Old habits die hard, celebrating with food is just one of them. Some of my favourite treats to share for birthdays and such are the McDougall's Chocolate Decadence Puddingand these Nut Butter Brownies. We freeze the extras - partially so I don't eat the whole pan when I make them. These are not Maximum Weight Loss Recipes.
amandamechele

Postby Suey51 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:22 am

Thanks Amy for the recipe links :-D When I first went plant-based, I did a lot of baking with recipes that used a lot of fat, nuts, nut butters etc. and ate most of the resulting baked goods myself. No wonder I gained even more weight :lol: Freezing these is a great idea :D

Love that song. Such beautiful and evocative lyrics, they make my eyes all wet.....
Suey51

Postby Suey51 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:11 am

Greetings group mates!
I'm reporting a 1.4 pound loss this weeks bringing me to 8 stone 11.2 (123.2 pounds). Apart from the brownie incident its been a pretty compliant week. My husband has lost 1.8 pounds this week, giving him a total of 9 pounds in the last month :) Him being on a 80%+ McDougall Program is certainly helping me stay compliant.

For now, I'm sticking with my goal for the year of being at or under 126 pounds. There will no doubt be some less compliant weeks ahead, when we eat out or are on holiday, so happy to have a bit of a buffer.

Amy - would you prefer to include me in the weight maintenance category? I'd like to keep checking in as it helps me keep compliant.

Best wishes to everyone, Sue x
Suey51

Postby BeHealthy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:12 am

Happy Friday! I'm down 6 pounds this week.

I'm sure that rate will slow as my digestive system comes back on track fully. For now, I'm keeping things simple with mainly oatmeal, potatoes, root veggies, tempeh, tofu, quinoa & rice and bananas. I'll be adding more greens and beans this week.

Suey51- I hope your list of healthy treats is growing.

Olalka - I hope the snow has been fun and will help bring the green to the fields that much more quickly.

Have great weeks everyone!
Ann
BeHealthy

Postby landog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:25 am

amandamechele wrote:Let's get back to, and focus on, what we know works... "A diet based predominately on a variety of minimally processed plants (fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, roots/tubers, whole grains and legumes) that is low in fat, saturated fat, calorie density, and low in added sugars, oils and salt.".

The day before you posted this, Amy - I was looking for this quote (without success).
I was surprised (and happy) to see your post - thanks for finding the quote for me!

I'm glad to be here with you as we March along!
I am down one pound to 162.

Today is a travel day for me.
Have a great week. Let's do this!
landog

Postby kkrichar » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:08 am

I'm down 3 pounds this week! It feels so good to be back on this plan. I've had 2 coworkers comment on my weight loss already.

Keep coming back, right?

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby galooop » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 am

Gained 2.0 LBS
(I know exactly why)

I've been overeating the wrong things -
have to get back on track.
oh well, at least I've been exercising regularly

everybody have a great week!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby moonlight » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:39 am

I must report 0 lb weight loss. Even though this is better than gaining weight I've really been off plan this week. I gained then lost 3 lbs. I know some of that was probably a gain from sodium. I'm pleased that I keep working at it. I kept trying to get back to 189 before today so I could report no change. So, thank you all for being here and being so motivating. I've watched videos and gave myself a lovingly stern talking to. I'm excited to lose some weight this coming week.

Congratulations to all who have shed some pounds this week!

I wish you all a good week.
moonlight

Postby kirstykay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:54 pm

I am 0 this week. No loss, no gain. I count that a win!

I feel myself figuring things out and feeling more positive. My husband has agreed to help me clean out the house of any non-MWL compliant food today. I heard Doug Lisle (I think) say in one of his talks, don't work on yourself, work on your environment, so that's my first priority. I have also noticed that I haven't been planning my meals out, just sort of seeing how I feel and that is a dangerous place for me - so that is another behavior I can improve upon this week. I have the weekend off so I can do some batch cooking of compliant meals and have choices ready to go. The final tweek I'm making is getting back to the gym with some consistency. There is a class that meets twice a week that I really like, so I've promised myself that I will go to that class. Twice a week is a baby goal, but I'm trying to help my inner audience believe in me again, so I am intentionally making my goals small.

Congrats to all the "losers" this week! It's motivating to see. I expect to join you next week.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby olalka » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi all,

reporting 2 lbs lost this week so still going steadily down so happy days.

Snow has gone down so alls good again and we are back to normal :nod:

Going to a wedding tomorrow and wondering will I only be eating fruit, will there be anything served that's McDougall friendly I wonder? :-P

Anyways even if I am stuck with fruit and salad all the weight loss is still worth it :mrgreen:

I'll update you shortly!

Have a great weekend!
olalka

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program