Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Buns Again

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 am

Hi McD peeps. I'm back.

No hurrahs or great joyful noise...I'm back because in the past three ish years I've regained everything. Back to where I was when I started McDougalling in Sept of 2009. No, I haven't gone to the SAD side; I've simply been eating like a fat vegan...I take that back. It hasn't been vegan junk food (except I did go off the deep end one Saturday last year with potato chips. But that was only once. Junk foods really haven't become a habit or anything) I've been eating whole foods, plant based PLUS added fats and haven't held back on the fatty foods like nut butters or foods with fats in the ingredients.

Several things have contributed to this backwards trend. In 2013 I was at my peak. My weight was lower than it had been since highschool; I was doing yoga every morning and my energy was uncontainable. Hiking, 90 minute walks, pushups, core strengthening, etc. It was wonderful! I was with a guy who agreed with and ate the same foods (though he did eat meat, but he was health conscious and was my hiking buddy for the Fall of '13)...and, with a man in my life, I also stopped getting up in the morning for yoga...snuggling feels REALLY good at 6 a.m. ;)

Well, in January of 2014 I got cellulitis, which I recovered from okay, but it set me up for Reactive Arthritis and I wanted to die. It hurt to turn over in bed. It hurt to walk. I mean, i was one of those old ladies who get exasperated sighs from those around them as they slow down ALL the foot traffic while they hobble along SOOOO slow. It HURT SO BAD! And, because I was afraid it might be Rheumatoid Arthritis, I went to the Dr and had a full blood panel. Everything looked good EXCEPT my triglycerides were high!

Seriously? At that point I was eating near 100% compliance to McDougall Plan and my cholesterol was HIGH? :\ It ticked me off. Here I was, as physically fit as I've ever been, eating healthier than EVER in my life, and a crippling illness STILL struck me down AND my numbers were off? pfft. Maybe that was the first step towards a "meh" attitude about following closely. The reactive arthritis faded away over a six week period THANK GOD. I hope never to go through anything like that EVER again.

At the same time, early 2014, I discovered a relaxing, de-stressing hobby called Zentangle. Oh! It took over! I spent much time every day tucked under my blankie, with my sketchbook and pens, learning new patterns, and creating some really cool looking stuff. check out my blog http://heidisue60.blogspot.com/ So, I stopped exercising pretty much completely. Then my feller left town, and we broke it off, because long distance relationship. And I opened a jar of Nutella and ate it with a spoon. And kept tangling, and had a sit down job. And allowed myself buttered popcorn now and then.

In early July of that year I met Wylie...we're still together and I love him very much. But I think that was the death knell for compliance. When you get in a relationship, you're happy. You go out to eat; you hang out. Wylie is the KING of cuddling which is absolutely lovely, but also means not getting up and exercising like I should. So in the past three and a half years, I've really relaxed my standards for food, though I still don't consume animal flesh (except on T'giving, a slice of dark meat) and Wylie is an omnivore, AND he's pretty skilled in the kitchen. So though I didn't eat any of the meat he might cook, I ate the other dishes, which he did NOT revise to low fat versions. I gained weight. In the winter of 2014-15 I hurt my foot somehow and stopped walking. Gained weight. Hurt my knee trying to restart the old yoga regimen.

Started a cool WOE called No S which has three rules: No Sweets, No Snacks, and No Seconds. Except on days that start with S (Saturday, Sunday, Special Days like a holiday or a birthday) I love the food sanity, people. For the past year or so, I have completely changed my relationship with food by following these super simple guidelines. Though I was still not being very careful with the fatty/salty stuff, I stopped gaining! I have allowed myself dark chocolate only on Saturday and Sunday (where I had been eating some every day, small amounts but still...) Anyway...because I had "permission" to eat whatever, as long as it was during a meal, that's when eggs started coming back in :( OH I LOVE EGGS...fried eggs over Thai Curried Rice (from Starch Solution) YUM! And of course, since snacking and sweets are "allowed" on S days...you get the picture.

Following No S, I did stop gaining, and I plan on using those same guidelines while eating compliant to McDougall Plan from here on out. Because in my case at any rate, it isn't working. I've taken off weight in the past using methods related to "all things in moderation" but it isn't working for me now, for weight loss. For food sanity, there's nothing like it.

But I've got to regain my health. I wake with an ache in my shoulder, elbow, knee, and foot. When I get up from my computer chair at work, it takes a minute to get moving, similar to that horrible arthritis I had in 2014. Some insomnia, especially the early morning wake ups where I can NOT get back to sleep. Five o'clock in the morning is one thing...but 3:00 a.m? no thank you. I plan on going to the Dr, as I am now in menopause. Want to find out about that, and just see where I am with some bloodwork.

And then, just get back to McDougalling. Get my energy and stamina back. Lose weight, lose these joint pains, decrease my inflammation.
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Re: Buns Again

Postby SilverDollar123 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:52 am

Welcome back! We all slip,but you are back & that is what counts. Happy McDougalling again! RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby roundcoconut » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm

so glad you’re here again!

the bunso bounceback, right?

we can be really resilient here, and really good learners. i totally believe that. :nod: :nod:
roundcoconut

Postby astirle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:36 am

Welcome back and hope you get the results you need!
On the quest for resilience
astirle

Postby WeeSpeck » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi Heidi!

I missed you while you were gone and often thought about you. We all find our way back here eventually because we know it is the best life-style on the planet. Somehow I knew we'd hear from you again. It sounds like you are in a good place, emotionally and mentally and now soon to be physically.

Welcome back!!
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:58 pm

HI RAS! Roundoconut! WeeSpeck! HI everyone! thanks for the greetings!

Yeah, it's always been at the back of my mind. Now it's on again big time. I've already been to the grocery store, and am in the midst of making several big batches of food, several recipes. Setting myself up for a good week. :) Setting myself up for some REALLY good results so I can play kick soccer at the family reunion this coming summer :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:12 pm

Busy food day!

I went grocery shopping early, and when I got home, got busy.

Cauliflower Taco Filling

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/mexican-food/amazing-cauliflower-tacos yum! I made tacos with this for dinner...GOOOOD!

Amazing Vegan Cheese Sauce

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/dips-sauces-and-gravy/amazing-vegan-cheese-sauce

Alfredo Sauce

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/featured/vegan-garlic-alfredo-with-sun-dried-tomatoes

Thai Curried Rice

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/dec/recipes.htm

NOTE: this is my current favorite recipe, and I've adapted it. Instead of all the chopping and dicing called for in the recipe, I use a package of frozen stir fry vegs. Also, that recipe calls for a half cup of soy sauce...WAY too much. I find two big spoonfuls (My stirring spoons, bamboo with flat bowls) is perfect. This is a yummy rice recipe, and because of all the spice and curry flavor, it is really good with fried eggs over it. ... ehem... but I have The Vegg vegan egg yolk on its way now. I can't wait to try it, because I'm determined NOT to have eggs anymore.

With these recipes made, and a pile of extra rice in the fridge, I'll be set for success over the next week. It feels really good to have my energy coming back. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 am

Hi eggybuggy, good morning!

My air fryer arrived yesterday and I cooked up a batch of oven fries. WOW! crispy! with zero oil, and minimal prep. Just peeled and cut the potatoes, put them in the basket, put some seasonings on them and shook it up good. Then cooked 20 minutes. WOW! crispy on the outside, soft and steamy inside. Yummy! This morning I am going to do hashbrowns, using frozen. We'll see.

Vegg egg yolk arrived, too. Not bad, not bad. IT has a creamy, gloopy consistency like egg yolk and tastes JUST LIKE egg yolk. Surprisingly so. And simple ingredients list, and it really isn't a processed "Fake egg" product. I could make it at home if I could find this alginate something.

Now, I must report my physical state. The fat store on my belly is feeling looser, which I take as a first sign that things are starting to move. When my boobs get smaller, THEN I'll know I'm losing. Those are always the first to decrease :\ My energy is fantastic. Though my knee has been hurting really bad the past few days, it didn't wake me up in pain last night which is a good thing. I expect great things! :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby WeeSpeck » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi Heidi,

You will LOVE LOVE LOVE your air fryer. It is my favorite kitchen toy right now. My son and future daughter-in-law got it for me for Christmas. I didn't even know I needed one until I had it and then I wondered what took me so long!!

Here are the items I have tried and each of them turned out amazing with zero oil.

* French fries
* Steak fries
* Brussels sprouts
* Taquitos
* Zucchini

Each of those were made from scratch, with less than 5 minutes preparation and less than 30 minutes in the air fryer. I have a delicata squash in my refrigerator that I am going to slice up into half-moons and pop in the air fryer sometime this week.

Share your successes. I would love to hear what you do with it.

I looked at the Vegg product after you mentioned it and am happy to hear your review. I was also impressed with the simple ingredients. I may end up buying it and trying it out myself.

Good to have you here!
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 am

WeeSpeck wrote:Hi Heidi,

You will LOVE LOVE LOVE your air fryer. It is my favorite kitchen toy right now. My son and future daughter-in-law got it for me for Christmas. I didn't even know I needed one until I had it and then I wondered what took me so long!!

Here are the items I have tried and each of them turned out amazing with zero oil.

* French fries
* Steak fries
* Brussels sprouts
* Taquitos
* Zucchini

Each of those were made from scratch, with less than 5 minutes preparation and less than 30 minutes in the air fryer. I have a delicata squash in my refrigerator that I am going to slice up into half-moons and pop in the air fryer sometime this week.

Share your successes. I would love to hear what you do with it.

I looked at the Vegg product after you mentioned it and am happy to hear your review. I was also impressed with the simple ingredients. I may end up buying it and trying it out myself.

Good to have you here!

Thanks Nancy...I'm super excited to have it. I want to try lots of things. In fact, I saw a fried pickle recipe on Brand New Vegan...now I want to try THAT hahahaha! There's a roasted broccoli recipe in the cookbook that came with it...going to do that one for sure!

~~~

Well, I got super busy in the kitchen over the weekend. What all did I make? Cauliflower Taco Filling, Mac n Cheeze, Creamy Garlic Alfredo, Thai Curried Rice, Quinoa Salad, and some packaged Rice and Beans from Goya with no added oils. That's a LITTLE bit processed, but I found them on clearance at the grocery store for like .50c a box and bought a whole bunch of them. Cooked up two of them last night when the Quinoa Salad ended up not being what I wanted for dinner after all.

Each of these was a "serves 6-8" type recipe, so I have a LOT of food made, packaged, and waiting for me to just put in my lunchbag and go. Also there is the dahl, and the rice, frozen waiting to be used in recipes. I seriously am set for lunch and dinner for the entire week, especially if I do what I know I'm going to, and make mashed potatoes with mixed vegs and vegan brown gravy for a dinner or two. Yum! Or!!! make something in my new air fryer yay! Oooh, fries and gravy! mmmmm yummy.

On Sunday, in the middle of the night, Wylie's uncle passed away. Now, he WAS an uncle, but he was only six years older than Wylie, so they grew up together. That, plus the fact that Wylie and his family have lost touch in adulthood, and only this past couple of years struck up their friendship again...well, Wylie is heart broken. I feel bad for him. Family things really touch a painful spot in Wylie's heart and this is most difficult. :( He wants to help, but the siblings (also close to Wylie's age, with an aunt only three years older) and the widow are dealing with it, and he's home wanting to be helpful. Sad sad.

Anyway, we all cried a bit, and Wylie gave my mom a big hug, thankful for my family being there. And we keep on going until we stop, I guess.

Feeling energized :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Oh! I wanted to mention my "exercise" "regimen"... hahahaha funny. Not.

well anyway, in the past few years I've started and ended more routines than I care to name, even short fast routines at home (14 min) and for a while (about a month) I was a regular at Planet Fitness...but I got sick, I have to say in my own defense. Cellulitis took me down and laid me out for several weeks and by the time it was over, I had changed jobs and my schedule means the gym at 5:30 pm...no thanks.

Anyway, at the beginning of this year I set a goal of doing 25 pushups, 25 sit ups, and a 60 second squat every day. The sit ups lasted two days. The squat I did one time :roll: but I've continued with the pushups. They are highly modified, off the edge of the kitchen counter while my tea steeps in the morning. I'll change to modified-on-the-floor-with-knees-down come Feb 1. For core, honestly I do this while at my desk: the 7 seconds to a flat tummy routine that I found here years ago.

You breathe in for 7 seconds, relaxing and "filling" your abdomen, then exhale for 7 seconds, and tighten your abs so that you feel you are pulling your belly button towards your spine. Hold it for 7 seconds and then start over again. This is something I've kind of gotten in the habit of doing while at my desk, or while riding in a vehicle. You can also add slight curls, tightening the entire front of your body and doing a "crunch" while sitting. Those, and the 25 pushups a day are where I'm at. Still not walking much thanks to a hurt knee and an ankle that randomly collapses or gets sharp pains. Though I did go for a nice stroll on Monday, with my mom's dog, my mom, my feller, and my granddaughter, down to the little park at the foot of the street. That was nice. I love to do yoga stretches too, but I haven't done a regular yoga practice in several years, except the one time about a year ago, when I hurt my knee trying to get back into the habit. ugh. Still paying for that one.

Walking and hiking have always been my favorite form of exercise and I miss it, but when you are in agony after an excursion to the grocery store :( I miss my delightful Murray Park. But I predict I will be getting there frequently, as my energy is already returning and I think it won't hurt as much once the poundage goes down. Meanwhile, pushups and seated crunches. :) and the occasional stroll
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Bronwen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:51 pm

Could you send some of your exercise motivation to Germany? It's badly needed here. :D
Bronwen

Postby moonlight » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:36 am

Hi Buns,

Good going with the exercise routine! I keep telling myself Baby Steps - Just Start. It took me at least a month of exercising 20 minutes every 3 or so days before I could exercise without being sore. When I was younger my body could handle the jolt of a new exercise program much easier than now (I'm 60). I'm hoping by summer I might can go backpacking. I respect my knees and don't want to put them in crisis mode so I'm waiting until I lose more weight before I add 25-30 lbs to my back! Cheers to happy strong muscles!! Baby Steps!!

When you get time, would you let us know what you think of your new air-fryer? What brand did you buy? Do you think it is worth the $$ you paid for it? I love gadgets in the kitchen but I'm not sure I want to commit to a large appliance that sits on the counter. I roast veggies and potatoes almost every day, so I'm thinking it might be a good investment.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:02 pm

HI Bronwen and Moonlight!

Thanks for stopping by. Believe me, I'm not very motivated about exercise. Moonlight, that bout with arthritis four years ago aged me faster than anything else I've gone through. I was 53 and became a creaky old slow-walking, aching, weak old woman overnight. It went away (reactive arthritis comes after a serious illness in rare cases, and subsides over six to eight weeks...I had cellulitis in one leg that lasted two weeks and when that was over, I had pain in every joint of my body that lasted two months)...and yeah, I haven't been able to take on vigorous exercise again since then. But I know once the weight comes off, I'll be able to do a lot more than I can now!

~~~

My air fryer then! It is a GoWise 3.7 qt capacity. The reason I bought this brand comes from a search I did for "Best Air Fryers" and got a short list of five, ranging in price from about $200 to I think $45. Mine was labeled "Best fryer for the price" at $79, and I have Amazon Prime so I got it with no shipping. Smaller than a bread....machine hahahahahahaaa! ehem...but really it doesn't take up that much room and since I am not cooking for a family, the size works for me. Three potatoes makes a very nice batch of GENUINELY crispy fries, enough to share, or enough for the starch element in a meal. I've never had the same level of success for crispiness in any kind of oven fries I've ever made. Even using oil, in the oven it just doesn't do it. But the fries out of the air fryer are crispy on the outside, and steamy smooth on the inside. I love em!

It's essentially a convection oven, blowing hot air over the food, which means it cooks faster, and i guess dries it out, accounting for the crispiness. :) I'm eager to try roasted broccoli and brussels sprouts. You can even bake in it, as long as your baked good is in a pan that fits inside the fryer basket. I am definitely a fan. So glad I bought it!

This weekend is going to be a trial, as there has been a death in Wylie's family and the funeral is out of town, which means road trip. I may just bake a bunch of yellow potatoes, or I may do what I've gotten so good at: choosing foods that are compliant, from among all the dishes available at the reception after the funeral, not to mention any food we might eat on the road. Yeah, some baked yellows to take along. Maybe a bag of sugar snap peas. And...because I have disciplined my appetite not to be the boss of me, if I do get hungry somewhere in there, I know I'm not going to die if I have to wait until the next meal.

Feeling good. Energy good. Digestion is back to normal...dang if I didn't fry my gut with the Xmas decadence. I have IBS and when I blow it, I KNOW it! It's really nice to have things back to healthy in that realm!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby fulenn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Nice to see you around again! Sorry to hear about Wylie's uncle. :cry:

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals