October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:06 pm

Sedrexel - Welcome! You understand correctly! We look forward to having you join us. :)

Day 9 Amy's MWL Challenge
amandamechele

Postby Svenja » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:57 am

... just to update on my exams ...

Unfortunately it didn't go as well as hoped for ...
Will get the result in 1-2 weeks time through the mail ...

The exam was so much harder than the years before ... crazy!
There were two groups of approximately 120 people, first group at 8:30 and second at 11:30 am. Lucky me was in the second group. I turned up really early, so I was there when the fist group left the room. Since there is an hour in-between, my teacher, who came to support us, got to talk to her students who were in the first group (that ist obviously not meant to happen ...). They were all so fed up and in a really bad mood. But they told us about some of the questions and even our teacher couldn't answer those ... and she was really shocked about some things. The biggest problem was, how some of the questions were phrased ... could have been a trick question, or really easy or something completely different was maybe expected ... we couldn't really figure out, though we were a good group of people.
So I went into the exam, fortunately not very nervous, knowing that it will be different than expected.
At the end of my preparation for this exam I used to make one or two mistakes per test, but in this exam I had 15 questions with question marks, for being not sure or having no clue.
15 would be the maximum of mistakes to get me through ... considering, that I might have some mistakes at the 'no-question-makrs' questions ... I really have no idea whether I made it or not ...

So I am not in the best spirit at the moment and find it hard to start focusing on the more difficult part, the oral exam, which will take place in about 4-6 weeks time, if I did actually pass this written exam. If I didn't, it will start all over again in spring!

Have a great week everyone!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby ChrisT » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Down to last stubborn 10 lbs-finally.
ChrisT

Postby amandamechele » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:16 pm

Svenja - I have high hopes that no matter what the overall grade you receive is, that you'll pull through. Whether that's this time or next. It's sounds like you had a disheartening day. XO I hope rest and calm will help you feel better. XO I hope you are proud of yourself for the effort that you put into this.

ChrisT - Welcome, and how awesome is that? Congratulations on getting this far.

My Day 10 Amy's MWL Challenge is posted but without pictures this time. I couldn't figure out how to do that from my phone. I'll update it once I have access to my other computer.

Amy
Last edited by amandamechele on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby galooop » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:55 am

There are devastating wildfires currently happening in the Santa Rosa area.
Dr. McDougall posted on Facebook:
"Tiffany, Heather, and Mary and I lost our 3 homes, cars, and everything (but a pair of pajamas for me, and Mary with a shirt and pants and one phone and a computer). We are unhurt."

In an email update, Dr. McDougall wrote:
"Thank you for your e-mails and calls asking about our safety. Mary, Heather, the grandkids, and I evacuated early yesterday to a local hotel and then were re-evacuated later in the day. We are now out of the county and staying with friends.

Dr. Lim was also evacuated and has not been able to return yet either.

Again, many thanks for your concern."

Last edited by galooop on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galooop

Postby ANNAUK » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Bougainvillea wrote:Better late than never? I'd like to join. I don't have the excuse of being in a different time zone, though :o

Current weight 194 lbs.

Lost 4 lbs this last week. But, that was coming back from fluctuating back up to 198 from 194 - I'm just back where I'd gotten to.

Oddly, when I tried to eat more veggies (without starch at every meal), I gained weigh back! I decided to just eat the approved foods and not be hungry - and voila! Lost the weight magically! I think it's still hard for my brain to accept that I really get to eat starch at every meal or not be hungry LOL. I'm learning.

At my size 5'5" and 61 years old, I'm still at that point where I can eat a lot and still lose weight. I'm just going to enjoy that for now.

This last week, what I've typically eaten is:

4 tacos for breakfast with homemade corn tortillas (made with organic masa flour from Bob's Red Mill, since I'm getting paranoid about GMOs) . These are small tortillas and I put chopped fresh cilantro and chopped fresh tomatoes and a mixture of rice, beans, cooked veggies like squash and peppers, inside each one.

Lunch - homemade soup with beans or potatoes or lentils and veggies, sometimes with some bread to dip in it, if I'm super hungry. This week it was creamy tomato lentil soup with unsweetened almond milk and pureed cooked carrots to make it "creamy" and chunks of tomatoes in it.

Dinner - pasta with simple tomato sauce and/or wheat bread toasted and dipped in some of the lentil soup.

My vice: a gin and diet tonic cocktail

Before bed - sometimes if I'm hungry before bed, I eat a very tiny bowl - maybe 1 cup - of shredded wheat and almond milk, sweetened with Stevia.

I've quit all pain meds, so I'm not willing to give up my gin and tonic yet. ;-)

I'm also walking more and have been much more active cooking and canning, which not only makes me hungrier, but adds to the pain factor. So, I'm just eating more of the accepted foods and enjoying my evening cocktail. So far, it all seems to be going okay, though. Canned up a huge amount of plain celery broth from a ton of free celery I got at the local food bank. Veggie broth in the stores is so expensive! And I use it in everything. Enjoying learning how to cook vegan. :)

I've been struggling with the vodka and soda. I use it too much as a reward or treat to relax but really I don't need it and it really holds me back on my loss
I k ow its probably not the best but each night I've been making myself a hot chocolate with water topped with a little milk. Have started it this week and so far I've managed to find better ways to relax like reading or webinars
See what Friday brings
ANNAUK

Postby amandamechele » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Chris - Thank you for the update. So devastating, I don't even know how to respond or how to help. :cry:

Here is Day 11 Amy's MWL Challenge.

I think I've found the recipes for the Sheppard's Pie duo that my mom served on Thanksgiving, so I thought I'd share them. :)

Sheppard's Pie
Moroccan Style Sheppard's Pie
amandamechele

Postby Bougainvillea » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 pm

ANNAUK wrote:
Bougainvillea wrote:Better late than never? I'd like to join. I don't have the excuse of being in a different time zone, though :o

Current weight 194 lbs.

Lost 4 lbs this last week. But, that was coming back from fluctuating back up to 198 from 194 - I'm just back where I'd gotten to.

Oddly, when I tried to eat more veggies (without starch at every meal), I gained weigh back! I decided to just eat the approved foods and not be hungry - and voila! Lost the weight magically! I think it's still hard for my brain to accept that I really get to eat starch at every meal or not be hungry LOL. I'm learning.

At my size 5'5" and 61 years old, I'm still at that point where I can eat a lot and still lose weight. I'm just going to enjoy that for now.

This last week, what I've typically eaten is:

4 tacos for breakfast with homemade corn tortillas (made with organic masa flour from Bob's Red Mill, since I'm getting paranoid about GMOs) . These are small tortillas and I put chopped fresh cilantro and chopped fresh tomatoes and a mixture of rice, beans, cooked veggies like squash and peppers, inside each one.

Lunch - homemade soup with beans or potatoes or lentils and veggies, sometimes with some bread to dip in it, if I'm super hungry. This week it was creamy tomato lentil soup with unsweetened almond milk and pureed cooked carrots to make it "creamy" and chunks of tomatoes in it.

Dinner - pasta with simple tomato sauce and/or wheat bread toasted and dipped in some of the lentil soup.

My vice: a gin and diet tonic cocktail

Before bed - sometimes if I'm hungry before bed, I eat a very tiny bowl - maybe 1 cup - of shredded wheat and almond milk, sweetened with Stevia.

I've quit all pain meds, so I'm not willing to give up my gin and tonic yet. ;-)

I'm also walking more and have been much more active cooking and canning, which not only makes me hungrier, but adds to the pain factor. So, I'm just eating more of the accepted foods and enjoying my evening cocktail. So far, it all seems to be going okay, though. Canned up a huge amount of plain celery broth from a ton of free celery I got at the local food bank. Veggie broth in the stores is so expensive! And I use it in everything. Enjoying learning how to cook vegan. :)

I've been struggling with the vodka and soda. I use it too much as a reward or treat to relax but really I don't need it and it really holds me back on my loss
I k ow its probably not the best but each night I've been making myself a hot chocolate with water topped with a little milk. Have started it this week and so far I've managed to find better ways to relax like reading or webinars
See what Friday brings

Yeah, I tend to have 2 drinks, when 1 would really do the trick. Not only do I like to relax, but I have neck pain issues - messed up neck. I no longer take any pain pills, which helps with forcing me to pace myself better, but the healthier I get, the more active I want to be - and the more active I am, the more my neck hurts LOL. I just try to pace myself during the day, and when I sit down I am icing my neck. But, I really look forward to that drink every night. It really helps with the pain. And I figure it's healthier than pain pills - but still not ideal.
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

Postby Bougainvillea » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Oh, and I sincerely apologize for the long user name. I had the hardest time coming up with a name that wasn't already taken. My real name is Karen, but if' it's easier to remember, feel free to just call me Boogie LOL.
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

Postby amandamechele » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Karen - I love your username, those are beautiful flowers! I like to use real names if people wish to share them because then I feel more like I am getting to know you in a teeny-tiny way. Thank you for sharing your name. :) I just read some of your journal yesterday. You are doing so well! Congratulations and keep it up.

Here is the link to Day 12 Amy's MWL Challenge.

I look forward to hearing from everyone tomorrow and Saturday for the weigh-in.

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Pippi Lemon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 pm

Well hello everyone!

I think I might be the first to post my weight again as I am up at silly o'clock to my exercise class, which is the first one of the week as I have been ill. I won't bore you with the details and I have talked briefly about it in my journal (Fit at 50) but I've had to take pain killers and antibiotics (first in about 20 yrs!).

I am 132.2lb which is the weight I started with, then I lost 1lb last week, but it's back again!

I'm actually surprised I didn't put on more as I was lazy and ate more starches than I would normally. I usually balance them out with veggies and salad, but I didn't have the energy to prepare them. I didn't go off track hugely as I scoffed potatoes, oats and probably a few more berries than normal. Stodgy comfort food. Sometimes I couldn't eat in the evening, which meant I was ravenous the next morning so I would eat a big bowl of oats and berries (my weakness and I love them!).

I did have a couple of glasses of wine last Sunday, just as I was getting sick...I won't do that again for while as I felt so rotten afterwards. I also had one day some toast and avocado one day as I was feeling sorry for myself, not the end of the world but not MMWL.

Oats and berries would be seen as a completely healthy meal for a SAD eater, but for me I could eat oats until they come out of my ears . Although oats probably wouldn't make me put on vast amounts of weight, they would stall my weight loss if I ate them regularly. So, I have given myself the grace this past week as they were easy to prepare considering I was in bed most of the time but will avoid them for the next few weeks.

So actually I am grateful I didn't put on more water weight with the pain killers and antibiotics (I couldn't have avoided them unfortunately, I usually try and self heal). I am looking forward to getting back to moving my body today and SO pleased to be feeling human again.

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone else's news and congratulations to you all no matter whether your weight goes up or down. you are here, looking to improve your health and being accountable...that is amazing self-care in itself. :D

Also, thank you to the fabulous Amy for all of the time you spend here collating the information.

Blessings x
Pippi Lemon

Postby Suey51 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:46 am

Hello everyone!

I am reporting a 1.8 pound loss this week :)

Thanks Amy, Pippi Lemon and Karen for sharing your journals :)
Karen - love your user name and very jealous that you have this wonderful plant on your balcony :)
Amy – congrats on the birth of your nephew – he looks gorgeous! And thanks for the recipes.
Svenja – sounds like everyone found the exam difficult. Keep going - I’m sure you will succeed with this :)
Chris – thanks for sharing the news about Dr McDougall and family. So relieved that they are safe but shocked that they have lost everything.

This week, my husband and I went to visit one of my step-daughters for a couple of days. She has just started a year’s placement in Bath working with the England Athletics Sprint Team. She was very well and loving living there. It was wonderful to see her and to revisit such a gorgeous and historic city. I gave myself a 6 out of 10 for my food, but 10 out of 10 for overall enjoyment! We did loads of walking and treated ourselves to a visit to the spa with wonderful warm swimming pools, Jacuzzis, sauna, steam room etc.

For the rest of the week, I've given myself a 'rarer than hens' teeth' 9 out of 10 for MWL adherence and exercise :lol: I tried a couple of new recipes for tomato soup and kale risotto butternut squash, which were yummy. Often I get a bit gloomy in Autumn, but this year I'm trying to enjoy it. Having garden produce encourages me to eat with the seasons and starches are so comforting :-) I also tried out some knitting last night to give me something to occupy my brain and hands while watching TV. It's now getting dark here about 18:15 so there are lots of dark hours to fill before bedtime!

Pippi Lemon, I hope you don’t mind me borrowing your words, as they express up my thoughts better than I could.
Pippi Lemon wrote:I'm looking forward to hearing everyone else's news and congratulations to you all no matter whether your weight goes up or down. you are here, looking to improve your health and being accountable...that is amazing self-care in itself. :D

Also, thank you to the fabulous Amy for all of the time you spend here collating the information.

As I sign off, I am conscious of the leaves falling in my garden. We raked them up yesterday, but it looks like I'll have another opportunity for exercise later ;-)

Keep on keeping on everyone! xxxx
Suey51

Postby sirdle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:35 am

0.7 lb loss this week. :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:15 am

Greetings Group Mates!

Lost 2 lbs this week. I got new walking shoes and a really cool walking stick so I’m getting ready to do some walking this weekend. Weather looks like it’s gonna be beautiful here.

Thankful that Dr McDougall, Mary and family are all safe and well.

Hang in there everyone! Thanks for sharing your journeys!

Susan
zsilent1

Postby galooop » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:07 am

ZERO for this week.

Everybody hang in there!
:-) Chris
galooop

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program