October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:33 am

Welcome to the October Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

This past week Jeff added a summary-update to the Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines (linked above). I think its an important post for everyone take a look at - even if you've been at this for awhile, so I've included it here in its entirety.

JeffN wrote:Here is a link to the January 2005 McDougall newsletter where Dr McDougall discusses the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program. This newsletter was published about 10-11 years after the original MWL book and after holding an actual MWL program at the McDougall center.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... ushing.htm

In it, he discusses 12 "Refinements for Maximum Weight Loss" that "Are the Measures Taken to Emphasize Weight Loss" and describes each tip, listing the Program Protocol and Practical Tips for Home Compliance for each one. They are virtually in agreement with the MWL Book and my principles of calorie density.

1) Thrive on Unrefined Starch
2) Avoid Refined Foods and Flours
3) Eat Green and Yellow Vegetables
4) Eat more raw foods
5) Avoid All High-Fat Plant Foods
6) Avoid Sugar
7) Minimize Fruits
8 ) Eat Slowly and Frequently
9) Keep Your Meals Simple (Monotonous)
10) Lower Salt Intake
11) Its Okay to Be Hungry
12) Exercise

Sometimes we run into people who are volume eaters. In regard to this issue, Dr McDougall discussed, "How to Help the Volume Eater" in the November 2005 McDougall newsletter

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... 100vol.htm

I recommend anyone struggling with their weight to read these two newsletters.

The recommendations of Dr McDougall and myself come from not only a thorough review and understanding of the scientific literature on these issues, but also from decades of clinical experience working with clients in a closed residential setting.

However, in the last few years, people have come up with their own personal ways to improve the MWL program, usually based on their own short term experience. Most often, they do not have the understanding of the literature or the longterm clinical experience we do. In addition, we are not interested in promoting modifications to the MWL to produce short term results that will be unsustainable for most people. As Dr McDougall always says at the program, we are not here for instant results, we are here to get you to like the food and teach you a sustainable program. We could easily serve you an all (or mostly) vegetable diet and you would have better initial short-term results but it will be unsustainable.

It is important to realize that any modifications to the MWL that are not in the above newsletters, or that do not come directly from Dr McDougall or myself, are not part of the MWL program, nor do we recommend them.

As Dr McDougall said in a recent newsletter...

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2017nl/jul/simple.htm

"many popular healthcare "gurus" have had no formal education in the potentially life-threatening matters of your health. Almost as troubling are the credentialed healthcare/diet advisors who provide advice based solely on reading other people's research articles. The relevance of their guidance must be placed in the context that many of them haven't touched a patient since their primary dietetic or medical training."

People will often say, I was doing the MWL program but it wasn't working till I also did "X," to which they are often unaware that "X" Is already a part of the MWL program. On the other hand, people will often say they are following the MWL program and doing "Y" but they are unaware that "Y" is not part of the MWL program nor recommended.

Before making adjustments to the MWL program, we recommend you give the MWL program with the refinements a fair and honest chance.

Here are a few of the adjustments people make that are not recommended. None of these are new. All have been around for a long time and seem to get recycled every few years

- A predominately raw food diet
- Eating only raw foods till 4 PM
- Intermittent fasting
- Restricted feeding window
- Extended fasts to lose weight
- Smoothies
- Juicing
- Basing their diet on non-starchy vegetables.
- Not including starch at each meal.
- Delaying the starch component of a meal.
- Eating only fruit for breakfast
- Eating only non-starchy vegetables for breakfast
- Excessive or extreme exercise
- Food Combining
- Meal Replacements
- Supplements

In regard to added salt and added sugar, we recommend buying and preparing food without either and if any are to be used, to add them at the table on the surface of the food. If either one is troublesome and create uncontrollable cravings for you, then leave them out.

While anecdotal stories are interesting, and you can always find them for almost any intervention, that is not why we are here or what our programs are based on. If we go by anecdotal evidence, we open a huge door that we don't really want to because then why not believe anyone with any anecdotical stories and testimonials regardless if they are doing any of the adjustments listed above or if they are doing Paleo, Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc.

We are here because we are an evidence & science based program.

In Health
Jeff

As usual, Jeff has a way of getting you to focus back on guidelines that are supported by evidence in order to have greater success at consistent, maintainable weight loss. I had a little discussion with him about a couple of the adjustments listed above that I had considered harmless additions to the program if all other guidelines were being followed. He pointed out that many of these are unsubstantiated distractions at the least and, more seriously, potentially detrimental to reaching your weight loss goals in a sustainable way. He also, astutely, pointed out that a good many people aren't actually giving the MWL guidelines as they are the proper chance to work....ahem...like me.

I've decided to do an experiment on myself and follow the guidelines and 12 refinements for the month of October. I'll take pictures of all of the food that I eat each day and post them . I'll start out by posting them here in this thread, but if it starts to get crazy long, I'll switch over to putting them in my online journal. For this next couple of days I'm going to start thinking about what foreseeable challenges I will have to face in order to achieve success this month.
Feel free to post some photos of what you're eating too! Its always fun to see the many ways which we can creatively enjoy this way of eating!

Best wishes to all this month!

Amy XO

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. We recommend following the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan or the Mary's Mini's Plan.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
Last edited by amandamechele on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Re: October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:01 pm

amandamechele

Postby peach1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Thank you!
Last edited by peach1 on Fri May 12, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peach1

Postby amandamechele » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 am

peach1 wrote:I'm joining the October group. I've been WFPB for 25 years but have regained weight due to vegan junk food. I'm happy to be here and to get your support. Thank you!

Welcome Peach1. :) I'm glad to have you joining us this week.

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Pippi Lemon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:09 am

Hi there

Is it possible to join you on the weigh in thread, I know I'm a little late to the party :D

Blessings...Pippi Lemon x
Pippi Lemon

Postby sirdle » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:16 am

Pippi Lemon wrote:Hi there

Is it possible to join you on the weigh in thread, I know I'm a little late to the party :D

Blessings...Pippi Lemon x

Absolutely! Just post your weekly loss on Friday morning!

Cheers,
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby katie3 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi, I'd also like to join the October weigh in group.

Dr. Lisle's presentation about The Cram Circuit really clicked with me when I watched the replay yesterday. I've been hovering around 125-126 lbs on a 5'4" frame and haven't been able to sustainably lose. That is technically in the healthy BMI range (BMI= 21.6), but I'm small boned and have plenty of fat on my hips and belly that I'd like to lose. My obstacles have been a conditioned cram circuit, as well as getting overly fancy and complicated with WFPB recipes and getting caught up in ideas of "needing" rich foods and "more protein" with nuts, tofu, etc.

My first weight loss goal is a reliable 120 lbs that is lost through fat loss, not just temporary water weight loss. I'd also like to decondition my cram circuit because I've definitely had that going on repeat! Ezekiel bread with fruit-sweetened jelly was what I'd "cram" on after regular meals. I'm glad to have a term to label it to help me change that pattern.

I'm following MWL guidelines and focusing on keeping everything super simple and having my meals be enjoyable, but monotonous. I also have a gym I enjoy going to for 5-6 classes of HIIT per week that I joined in starting the beginning of last month. I'm going to focus on just enjoying those classes and participating, rather than thinking I need to work really hard to make progress. It's the food, it's the food. :)

Looking forward to making progress on this in a group format!

-Katie
First goal: use McDougall & MWL principles to reach 120 lbs. (check!)
Second goal: MAINTAIN with healthy habits and reach 115 lbs.
Current weight: 118.2

katie3

Postby amandamechele » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Welcome Pippi Lemon (You're just in time!) and katie3 (that darn cram circuit)! I'm glad you will both be joining us. Katie, I hear you about the many little obstacles that can throw you off track. It sounds like you have a good plan and know what you're up against. I hope we'll be able to help keep you both motivated to work on your goals!
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:06 pm

amandamechele

Postby Purposive » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:59 pm

Is this where I join the October 2017 MDWI group? If so I would like to join. Also, where do you record your weight on Fridays? Thanks in advance.
Purposive

Postby Pippi Lemon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:22 am

Thank you for your welcome Amy (edit: whoops i meant Amanda!!!)

I have been stuck between 129lbs and 133lbs for what seems to be forever, even when I eat well. I'm 5ft 4inch (just!) and coming up for 50 so am grateful that I am at a healthy BMI of 22, but I would like to change this set-point and see if I could let go of those last 10 lbs. I believe a strong lean body is better on the joints as I get older and I want to have the energy to enjoy life like a teenager. Why not? :unibrow:

Katie3, thank you for the reference on the 'Cramming Cycle' I think you called it, I've not heard about this and am looking forward to listening to Dr. Lisle when I go on a run this morning. I love running and listening to inspirational literature.

I've only just realised this is a 'weigh in thread' and not somewhere really to record my journey (doh!) so I am going to attempt to keep up with a journal in the journalling section until my 50th birthday which is in a months time to keep me accountable.

Blessings from Britain x
Last edited by Pippi Lemon on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pippi Lemon

Postby Suey51 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:23 am

Welcome Purposive :) Yes this is where you join the weigh-in group and where you record your weight loss on a Friday.

Greetings Pippi Lemon from a fellow Brit x
Last edited by Suey51 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Suey51

Postby Namshealth » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:52 am

When does the next one start?
I'm eager to begin!
Thanks!
Namshealth

Postby JAT74 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:49 am

I would like to be added to the October group!
JAT74

Postby Purposive » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 am

Joining this interesting group. I'm a lifetime vegetarian that has managed to gain 120 pounds over fifty years. I throughly enjoy all forms of cooking for relaxation plus work three 12 hour shifts as a nurse on a busy med-surg flour and am 70 years old. Thankfully, I feel well, but those extra pounds are heavy! I want to commit to a year of MWL. Looking forward to this new beginning after reading some very interesting star stories. Here I go........oh I'm practicing transparency... 238.1 pounds.{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
Last edited by Purposive on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purposive

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program