Minger at it again with a review of How Not to Die

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Minger at it again with a review of How Not to Die

Postby Helpinghands » Mon May 22, 2017 12:03 pm

Yes, Denise has once more decided to review a plant based book with predictable results.

https://authoritynutrition.com/how-not-to-die-review/

For those that are interested above is the url to her review.
Helpinghands

Re: Minger at it again with a review of How Not to Die

Postby colonyofcells » Mon May 22, 2017 12:40 pm

It is probably no secret that Dr Greger is pro vegan so that obviously will influence his interpretation of studies and there is a strong temptation to overstate the benefits of a unrefined vegan diet. Virginia Messina used to recommend Dr Greger as one of the few vegan doctors who do not overstate the benefits of a vegan diet and I do not know if Virginia Messina still recommends Dr Greger. The new book of Virginia Messina : Even Vegans Die seems to be her answer to Dr Greger's How Not To Die. Another problem is Dr Greger relies on reductionist studies so it is easy to find reductionist studies that are against the position of Dr Greger.
I do not have the patience of Denise Minger to read many studies but I am familiar with the Adventist Health Study 2 and I am aware of how pro vegans use this study to overstate the benefits of a vegan diet and an unrefined vegan diet. Dr Greger also sometimes mentions the pritikin diet and dr dean ornish diet which are not vegan diets altho the dr dean ornish diet is nearly vegan and I often just pretend the dr dean ornish diet is vegan to avoid being too wordy.
Denise Minger has her own biases. She is personally allergic to soy so I would guess it influences her interpretations of soy studies. Recommending grass fed livestock is not practical due to environmental problems like lack of land, water shortage and global warming. Grass fed livestock has the same problem of bioaccumulating pollution and radiation. All animal products are loaded with calories and have 0 fiber so they are obviously not health food. I do not know if Denise Minger still believes that her diet somehow miraculously protects her from her personal overconsumption of polluted wild seafood (has both pollution and radiation and the mainstream only allows 2-3 servings per week). Some experts also predict most sealife will be gone in just a few decades due to overconsumption and global warming, so it is not practical to recommend seafood. Currently, the best argument for going vegan is environmental and global warming so the politicians conveniently banned environmental concerns in the 2015 diet guide for americans.
Last edited by colonyofcells on Mon May 22, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
colonyofcells

Postby GlennR » Mon May 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Denise was pretty even handed in her analysis and more pro for the book than anti.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby Jeff the Chef » Tue May 23, 2017 5:04 am

GlennR wrote:Denise was pretty even handed in her analysis and more pro for the book than anti.

If she gave an even handed analysis, that would maybe be a first.
Jeff the Chef

Postby Jeff the Chef » Tue May 23, 2017 5:16 am

colonyofcells wrote:It is probably no secret that Dr Greger is pro vegan so that obviously will influence his interpretation of studies and there is a strong temptation to overstate the benefits of a unrefined vegan diet. Virginia Messina used to recommend Dr Greger as one of the few vegan doctors who do not overstate the benefits of a vegan diet and I do not know if Virginia Messina still recommends Dr Greger. The new book of Virginia Messina : Even Vegans Die seems to be her answer to Dr Greger's How Not To Die. Another problem is Dr Greger relies on reductionist studies so it is easy to find reductionist studies that are against the position of Dr Greger.
I do not have the patience of Denise Minger to read many studies but I am familiar with the Adventist Health Study 2 and I am aware of how pro vegans use this study to overstate the benefits of a vegan diet and an unrefined vegan diet. Dr Greger also sometimes mentions the pritikin diet and dr dean ornish diet which are not vegan diets altho the dr dean ornish diet is nearly vegan and I often just pretend the dr dean ornish diet is vegan to avoid being too wordy.
Denise Minger has her own biases. She is personally allergic to soy so I would guess it influences her interpretations of soy studies. Recommending grass fed livestock is not practical due to environmental problems like lack of land, water shortage and global warming. Grass fed livestock has the same problem of bioaccumulating pollution and radiation. All animal products are loaded with calories and have 0 fiber so they are obviously not health food. I do not know if Denise Minger still believes that her diet somehow miraculously protects her from her personal overconsumption of polluted wild seafood (has both pollution and radiation and the mainstream only allows 2-3 servings per week). Some experts also predict most sealife will be gone in just a few decades due to overconsumption and global warming, so it is not practical to recommend seafood. Currently, the best argument for going vegan is environmental and global warming so the politicians conveniently banned environmental concerns in the 2015 diet guide for americans.

Pritkin and Ornish aren't vegan, but they are plant-based, which is Greger's focus. And they're lowfat, whole food as well.

You're right about the problem of using reductionist studies.
Jeff the Chef

Postby colonyofcells » Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 am

Whole foods plant based can mean an unrefined diet that includes small amounts of animal products and or an unrefined vegan diet so to find out which is which requires context (There are also people who are ok with both types of unrefined diets). Dr Greger is an employee of a vegan activist organization (Humane Society) so I would guess that the purpose of nutritionfacts.org is to promote an unrefined vegan diet altho Dr Greger is ok with people starting out as flexitarians and reducetarians. Dr Greger (and also his employer the Humane Society) has openly supported reducetarians in the reducetarian website. I do not see PETA and PCRM in the list of reducetarian supporters. https://reducetarian.org/supporters/
(as a side note, I am not sure why a bunch of atheists are at the top of the list of reducetarian supporters and could this mean that atheists are having a hard time going vegan).
Last edited by colonyofcells on Tue May 23, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colonyofcells

Postby Jeff the Chef » Tue May 23, 2017 3:33 pm

I didn't know Gregers was an employee of the Humane Sochery. The PCRM/PETA connection I am familiar with.
Jeff the Chef

Postby vgpedlr » Sun May 28, 2017 9:14 am

Jeff the Chef wrote:
GlennR wrote:Denise was pretty even handed in her analysis and more pro for the book than anti.

If she gave an even handed analysis, that would maybe be a first.

Actually she has done it before. She was interviewed by LC host where she went into the results that Kempner got. She seems to think that both LCHF and LFHC methods will work as long as the "low" and "high" are done correctly.

In other words, I have no idea what she is promoting. I can't stand reading her writing, and her brand of dietary relativism confuses me. It seems to be just an excuse to do whatever you want.
vgpedlr

Return to The Lounge