Questions Regarding Calorie Restriction

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Questions Regarding Calorie Restriction

Postby JuicerJohn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:43 am

Hi Jeff,

There is currently an active thread in The Lounge on calorie restriction (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53189).

And, I just finished watching your video on caloric density in which you mention calorie restriction as well. I hear numbers being mentioned for the degree of restriction in the range of 20-40%.

My question is, are these percentages to be considered as a percent reduction from a non-WFPB diet like a SAD, 2600 calorie a day diet? Or is that the reduction from a complaint 2000-2200 calorie a day diet. If the latter, 1200+ calories a day sounds way too low to me. Can someone eating that few calories remain energetic and active? For a normally active person, what should be considered a practical minimum of caloric intake?

Thanks!
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Re: Questions Regarding Calorie Restriction

Postby JeffN » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:32 am

JuicerJohn wrote:Hi Jeff,

There is currently an active thread in The Lounge on calorie restriction (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53189).

And, I just finished watching your video on caloric density in which you mention calorie restriction as well. I hear numbers being mentioned for the degree of restriction in the range of 20-40%.

My question is, are these percentages to be considered as a percent reduction from a non-WFPB diet like a SAD, 2600 calorie a day diet? Or is that the reduction from a complaint 2000-2200 calorie a day diet. If the latter, 1200+ calories a day sounds way too low to me. Can someone eating that few calories remain energetic and active? For a normally active person, what should be considered a practical minimum of caloric intake?

Thanks!

You have asked the $64K CR question.

There is much debate, which I avoid, in the CR world on whether the percent reductions seen in animal translate directly to humans and how exactly do you measure the percent reduction.

To understand my perspective, I would recommend you review my thread on Optimal BMI.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6916&hilit=optimum

and specifically this post..

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6916&p=56251#p56251

And also this thread on CR, fasting and BMI

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13314&hilit=fontana+BMI

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JuicerJohn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:44 am

Now that I have had the chance to read through the links you provided, thanks Jeff! Lots of helpful info there.

One other question, if I may. Do you have a perspective on intermittent fasting? That is, confining food intake to a restricted time period, say from noon to 8PM, and then fasting the other 16 hours each day.

Thanks.
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby JeffN » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:01 am

JuicerJohn wrote:Now that I have had the chance to read through the links you provided, thanks Jeff! Lots of helpful info there.

One other question, if I may. Do you have a perspective on intermittent fasting? That is, confining food intake to a restricted time period, say from noon to 8PM, and then fasting the other 16 hours each day.

Thanks.

I have a perspective on almost everything and most all of it has been outlined (and regularly updated) in this forum :)

On Intermittent fasting, meal timing, meal frequency and restricted eating...

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36724

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26337

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=46502

After reading through them, let me know if you have any other questions

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JuicerJohn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:02 pm

Thanks Jeff!

I see that there are no really clear cut answers. First of all, much of the material is answering questions about CR for weight loss, and I am more interested in it from the perspective of optimum health.

But from that perspective, I see some data that indicates benefits but other data that seems to indicate potential harm like reduced glucose tolerance.

It has been interesting to look at what info is available and I really appreciate your help with that, but I think bottom line will have to be, continue to eat a high starch diet with relatively low caloric density and high nutrient density, eat when I am hungry and stop when satisfied.

Thanks again. You have just confirmed again that I am heading in the right direction.
JuicerJohn

Postby JeffN » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:11 pm

JuicerJohn wrote:Thanks Jeff!

I see that there are no really clear cut answers. First of all, much of the material is answering questions about CR for weight loss, and I am more interested in it from the perspective of optimum health.

But from that perspective, I see some data that indicates benefits but other data that seems to indicate potential harm like reduced glucose tolerance.

It has been interesting to look at what info is available and I really appreciate your help with that, but I think bottom line will have to be, continue to eat a high starch diet with relatively low caloric density and high nutrient density, eat when I am hungry and stop when satisfied.

Thanks again. You have just confirmed again that I am heading in the right direction.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Just as an FYI...

All my posts and responses in this discussion are in regard to CR, which is about health, not about weight loss or ideal goal weights. Many make the mistake of confusing the two.

The problem is, as I said above, the $64K question is how do you measure the % restriction. No one knows for sure. However, you can't consistently restrict calories on an ongoing basis without it impacting your BMI. So BMI may be a surrogate marker of CR and if so, then lets look at the "health outcome" data related to BMI.

My linked threads are about trying to define the healthiest BMI range based on health outcomes, not some idealistic goal weight. And, as the Optimal BMI thread points out, there are some excellent health outcomes that have been shown over and over in many studies to be linked to a certain BMI range.

So, yes, I agree 100%....

"continue to eat a high starch diet with relatively low caloric density and high nutrient density, eat when I am hungry and stop when satisfied'

...and, be active within the recommended guidelines and, as my thread point outs, aim for a BMI of 18.5 - 22 not because it is some ideal goal weight, but because of the related health outcomes related to that measure.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD