What about Salba - better than flax?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

What about Salba - better than flax?

Postby Marey » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:54 am

Hi Jeff,

Just heard of this, and I wondered what you take is on it. It says on the website:

Salba® is the richest whole food source of Omega 3 fatty acids and fiber found in nature. Gram for gram, Salba® provides eight times more Omega 3s than salmon, four times more fiber than flax, six times more calcium than whole milk, 13 times more antioxidants than blueberries, and much more. Salba® is all-natural, has no trans-fats, very few carbohydrates, and is certified Non-GMO, Vegan, Kosher, and Gluten-Free for those who suffer from celiac disease.

Link: http://www.salba.com/index.php

Thanks, Marey
Marey

Postby serenity » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:36 pm

The registered trademark is a red flag for me. They are very coy about what type of grain this is. I get that they are claiming it is an ancient heirloom grain, but what was it called before they trademarked the name?

Since our diets on McDougall are starch based, what advantage could one particular kind of grain actually give us? I'm sure they are charging a premium price for all the hoopla, although I didn't look that far into the site.

If there is one thing we have learned here is that there are no miracle foods. Maybe Jeff will know more about it.
serenity

Postby Joe927 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:30 pm

It's chia. If you do a Google search it's easy to find. It's 30 dollars a pound, where as generic chai is only 6
Joe927

Postby serenity » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:28 pm

Joe927 wrote:It's chia. If you do a Google search it's easy to find. It's 30 dollars a pound, where as generic chai is only 6

Thanks, Joe. I smelled a scam, and I guess it is. Doesn't that make it a seed rather than a grain? The nutrient profile seems more like a seed too.
serenity

Postby JeffN » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:05 pm

Be wary of any food that is hyped as a super food or miracle food.

Obtaining adequate omega 3s is not difficult to do when you consume the right foods. So, looking for the "richest" source is not a problem unless you are eating a nutrient poor diet and somehow have to try and make up for it.

Does anyone choose apples by which is the "richest source" of Vitamin C, or which green leafy is the "richest source" of folate or do you know that fruits and veggies are both nutrient dense foods?

We do not need to consume the "richest" source of anything. We need to eat food that have a high overall nutrient density.

If you want to consume a rich source of omega 3s, flaxseed is regularly available and inexpensive.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Marey » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:59 pm

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply!

Marey
Marey

Return to Jeff Novick, RD