What recipes do you make regularly?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What recipes do you make regularly?

Postby Concerned » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:12 am

These are two of my favorites. I have been making Antonia Demas' Lentil Salad, from Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. It is a very fresh and delicious tasting combination of flavors in my opinion and I put a big portion of it on top of my salad.
Also, I have been making the Cheeseless Eggplant Parmesan from the Health Promoting Cookbook. I feel like I am eating a fancy recipe when I eat that.

What recipes have become standby's for you?
Concerned

Re: What recipes do you make regularly?

Postby TerriT » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:19 am

The recipes we have most often are Indian dals, chickpeas and vegetable recipes with rice. I have my own collection of recipes I have adapted to be oil free from a variety of cookbooks.

I also make vegetable stir-fry a lot.
TerriT

Postby DallasDog58 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:16 am

I love Happy Herbivore's black bean and salsa soup. Quick and easy and very filling. Another favorite is just something I made up. I take red and brown cooked rice with some sautéed onions and garlic and stir in about a ton (ok, maybe just two bunches) of steamed chopped kale. It's mostly kale when I am finished so I don't stress about eating a huge bowl and it really sticks with me.
Linda
DallasDog58

Postby indy107 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:33 am

The 2 most common recipe for me and my wife….

Fried Rice with Veggies (no oil) on my days off….
http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/ga ... ried-rice/

And my Texas Style Chili for the nights I work…
http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/be ... hili-ever/

Never get tired of either one.
For tons of healthy Plant-Based, McDougall Friendly Recipes, check out my blog at :

https://www.brandnewvegan.com.
indy107

Postby AnnieMaim » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:50 am

The things I make most:

Mexican Style Beans & Rice - 1 can of ff refried beans, with 1 boil-in-bag worth of brown rice with chopped peppers and onions sauteed in water. Sometimes I add corn, if I have it. To that I usually top with salsa and/or nutritional yeast.

Roasted Potatoes & Brussels - cubed potatoes roasted (lately I've been boiling them for 5 minutes, then coating them with an Indian spice blend and chickpea flour before putting them in the oven), then I add brussels sprouts and garlic halfway through baking. Dip everything in an array of fancy mustards and hot sauces.

Crockpot Oatmeal - Rolled oats with fruit and spices. Last time I added wheat berries, because I had them.

Soup - Whatever veggies I have on hand, plus beans, plus rice.

Curries - Whatever veggies I have, plus chickpeas, plus rice with curry powder, garam masala, and turmeric.

OH! Also bowls! Veg + Rice or Potato + Bean + some kind of sauce/dressing (I usually use a dollop of hummus or a small amount of tahini dressing) ...put it all in a bowl. Here's the last one I made with kale, quinoa, roasted potatoes/onions/brussels sprouts and hummus:

AnnieMaim

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:57 am

I have a 4 week menu I wrote up and use with very few changes month after month. We had lasagna for Thanksgiving and Christmas, homemade pizza for our son't birthday, and lately, being snowed in and unable to get to stores, making a lot of soups, stir-fries and chili using what's in my stash.

Sunday - Unchicken Dinner with Mary's Golden Gravy - This just baked potatoes, homemade stuffing, canned cranberries, a big bowl of veggies, and the McDougall gravy)
Monday - Festive Dal Soup
Tuesday - Mac & Cheese
Wednesday - Chef AJ’s Pea Soup
Thursday - Veggies, Beans & Rice
Friday – Mexican Rice Soup
Saturday – Pasta with Jeff’s Marinara Sauce

Sunday - Unchicken Dinner with Jan Tz's Garbanzo Gravy & Chef AJ’s Maple Mustard Glazed Brussels Sprouts
Monday - Quinoa Chowder
Tuesday - Jeff's Simple Everyday Dinner or Tortilla Soup (minus the avocado)
Wednesday - Your Kids Will Love This Soup
Thursday - Chinese Rice (rice with frozen Asian veggies, sprouts, water chestnuts)
Friday – Knock Out Chili (from The McDougall Program for A Healthy Heart)
Saturday - Pasta with … (jarred sauce, loads of veggies, maybe some lentil meatballs)

Sunday - Unchicken Dinner with Mary's Rich Brown Gravy
Monday - Mexican Rice Soup
Tuesday – Enchiladas
Wednesday – Potato Chowder
Thursday - Rice, Beans & Veggies
Friday - Speedy International Stew
Saturday - Pasta with Chef AJ's Quick Sun-Dried Tomato Marinara

Sunday - Unchicken Dinner with HH Sage Gravy or Right Cups Casserole
Monday - Mexi Soup
Tuesday - Lori’s Sausage Chowder(minus the Gimmelean)
Wednesday - Black Bean Soup
Thursday - Chinese Rice
Friday - Chunky Chili
Saturday – Polenta Bake
VeggieSue

Postby TerriNC » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:29 pm

Our two favorites that we make regularly are spring Thai garden rolls and African Peanut Sweet Potato Stew. Both recipes are on my blog, if anyone wants the recipes. The Thai rolls we have weekly, and the African stew about every-other week. :nod:
TerriNC

Postby skane9041 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:29 pm

These are some great ideas! I have been working on getting a meal plan in rotation, like VeggieSue has, and these ideas are very helpful.

Sandi
Sandi
----------------------

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."...Leo Tolstoy
skane9041

Postby patty » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:23 pm

skane9041 wrote:These are some great ideas! I have been working on getting a meal plan in rotation, like VeggieSue has, and these ideas are very helpful.

Sandi

VeggieSue is amazing:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby skane9041 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:46 pm

patty wrote:
VeggieSue is amazing:)

Aloha, patty

She sure is, I feel like I'm cheating because she has done most of my work for me! :D
Sandi
----------------------

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."...Leo Tolstoy
skane9041

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Not amazing, just getting lazy in my old age! LOL

I love trying new recipes, but found we kept drifting back to many of these old tried-and-true ones. It makes shopping and stocking up for bad weather a whole lot easier, especially times like now when the car is encased in ice and we can only shop in a local mom & pop grocery store within walking distance, one that has a very meager selection of McDougall-safe items (not even salt-free beans, tomatoes or canned veggies) and some of the crappiest fresh produce in town. Most times we only grab a few sacks full of frozen veggies and a bag or 2 of dried beans. I haven't had a potato in weeks, not since my stash ran out, aside from a few sweet potatoes and frozen hash browns that I used in place of potatoes in some recipes. The store's fresh greens are horribly limp or yellowed, and sometimes buggy, but at least I can get frozen spinach, corn and cruciferous veggies.

A lot of McDougallers have posted a lot of recipes on these message boards or their blogs over the years. I save the ones that look interesting in a cardfile program. I have separate files for Esselstyn recipes, Fuhrman recipes, soups, casseroles, Chef AJ, etc. so they're easy to find once we decide a recipe is a keeper. But as you see in my other post, most of our family's favorites are those of Mary McDougall, either from the McDougall Made Easy and McDougall Made Irresistible DVD's or the books and newsletters. They're simple, healthy, and tasty - what more does anyone want?
VeggieSue

Postby chrisv » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:38 pm

This is what I make regularly:

Jeff's burgers, I like them with a lettuce wrap, with oven baked fries or microwaved potatoes.
Beans, rice, salsa on crisped corn tortillas.
Curry, chickpea and sweet potato over brown rice.
Lentil potato stew, (I think the recipe is from this site) over rice.
Pizza, sometimes on pita bread, sometimes make a crust from scratch.
Rising Moon butternut squash ravioli with marinara.
Microwaved potatoes and sweet potatoes, with microwaved frozen veggies.

I keep thinking I will set up a rotation, so far I haven't.
chrisv

Postby cena » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Mon: Stew (basically carrots, onions or leeks, cauliflower & potatoes in a tomatoey gravy), rice, salad
Tue: Taco Tuesday, every week, (various) beans, rice, sauteed peppers, salsa
Wed: Kids have cold cereal with oat milk (church in the evening) my husband and I have portabella burgers, roasted potatoes and salad or leftovers
Thurs: Whole wheat pasta with a veggie sauce (varies from week to week) lemon juice/zest, basil, halved cherry tomatoes and garlic is a favorite
Fri: Chili & cornbread
Sat: Pizza night, mushrooms, olives, diced tomatoes, sauteed onions, roasted red peppers. Homemade crust (with chunks of garlic and Italian herbs in it). We use Trader Joes pizza sauce
Sun: Lunch after church: soup with homemade French bread
Dinner: roasted veggies with mashed potatoes and gravy

This is our basic rotation. We have 6 kids still at home, so these are all hearty family friendly meals that have passed muster. We make basically the same things with whatever veggies we have from the garden or in season (on sale...)
I keep my own meals a little simpler and eat less or no pasta and bread which keeps me from losing weight. I will have the pasta sauce over string beans or zucchini for instance. I leave off the olives from my pizza, etc. I have corn tortillas and they have flour tortillas on Tuesdays.

I make salad jars for my lunches. My kids favorite lunch is oven fries, catsup, and leftover soup.
cena

Postby CMD » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:03 am

We eat basically the same meals each week, in no particular rotation:
Jeff's burgers
vegetable soup
potato soup
chili
pasta
oatmeal
burritos, tacos, bean/rice bowls or enchiladas
potato wedges and fruit for snacks
veggies and salad with dinner

I have two teens who will eat whatever is put in front of them. They are both small and lean. I avoid some of these meals because I am still trying to lose weight. I eat veggie soup every single morning for breakfast year-round and usually have potato wedges and a veggie for lunch (mostly broccoli or green beans) and salad as my main dinner with a small side of one of the above. My husband is still a picky SAD eater so he usually sticks to the burritos, pasta and potato soup. He's getting better, though.
CMD

Postby Taggart » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

I seem to be rotating between three different breakfasts lately:

Super Simple Overnight Cereal

Rip's Big Bowl For the 1/4 cups of cereal the only thing I've changed since I've never seen Uncle Sam's Cereal here in Canada, is to replace it with a 1/4 cup of Nature's Path Flax Plus. I've never seen this cereal on any approved foods lists, but I've been eating it for years with no plans to give it up.

Third choice for breakfast, is just to cook steel cut oats in banana milk. Add in some frozen wild blueberries and cranberries while cooking. The last minute of cooking I just add in a tablespoon of ground flax seed, and it's ready to eat.

In addition to having vegetable soup and a side salad, favourites for lunch or dinner include:

Toasted sandwich with hummus, tomato and lettuce.

Blueberry Pancakes topped with cinnamon and fresh berries or pure maple syrup.

Portobello Mushroom Burger

Baked beans on toast or with yellow flesh or sweet potatoes (baked, mashed or baked fries).

Pizza on pita bread with various toppings.

Corn Tacos

Spaghetti with simple tomato sauce

South Asian style veg. curries on basmati rice.
Taggart

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning