Oil Based Salad Dressing is Good For you?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oil Based Salad Dressing is Good For you?

Postby NewRoman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi everyone,
Since starting the plant based diet life style, i have been researching reading and watching videos of many doctors etc.
I find conflicting data/ideas that both make sense , I would love to hear your opinions:
Dr Esselstyn - Advocates NO OIL.
Dr. Mcdougall - I believe same.
Dr.Michael Greger ( Like this guy) - Does not reject all oils.

What prompted me to make this post is the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JxxbL7QSDc#t=553
In this video Dr.Michael Greger says that Oil Based Dressing for salads is Better for you than Oil Free Dressing.
He supports his claim by providing a study that shows that when you ate a salad when you used used Oil Based dressing Then:
Your body Absorbed the nutrients from the salad in a high rate, very well.

But when you ate Oil Free Salad Dressing there were NO NUTRIENTS ABSORBED by your body AT ALL.
So why did you eat the salad at the first place?

Now one person can say I have coronary heart disease so i have to stay away from any oils, which would make sense,
people that don't have that or similar diseases can have oil in their salads for example olive oil which is healthier for you than others like cottonseed or canola etc.

What do you guys think about this?Cause like the guy said why eat all the veggies and greens in your salad and such and not even receive the nutrients?

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.
Healthy and Pain Free, No Matter the Cost!
Roman
NewRoman

Re: Oil Based Salad Dressing is Good For you?

Postby TerriT » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:04 pm

TerriT

Postby NewRoman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:16 pm

TerriT wrote:See this post:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5939&p=40520

Thank you for this TerriT, I don't know how you dug up a 6 year old post.
Unless you just did a search heh.
Healthy and Pain Free, No Matter the Cost!
Roman
NewRoman

Postby awest27 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:26 pm

As Jeff points out in that thread, processed food oil is a modern invention. Mankind would have died out a long time ago if he couldn't survive on vegetables without having oil poured all over it.
awest27

Postby TerriT » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:31 pm

NewRoman wrote:
TerriT wrote:See this post:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5939&p=40520

Thank you for this TerriT, I don't know how you dug up a 6 year old post.
Unless you just did a search heh.

Some of Jeff's posts were so eye-opening when I was first starting out that they stuck with me long after I first read them. I can always find that one by searching in Jeff's forum using the keyword "lycopene".
TerriT

Postby Crider » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:28 pm

There's a very funny part of a lecture Jeff Novick gave on olive oil and the Mediterranean diet.

http://youtu.be/GfBKauKVi4M?t=30s
Crider

Postby wade4veg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Don't you think Dr. Michael Greger might have a different take on this subject. Seems a bit hasty to just dismiss what he says out of hand just because someone else has a different opinion about the topic.
wade4veg

Postby JeffN » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:21 pm

From Dr McDougall...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30165#p302110

John McDougall wrote: Old News:

(But people love to hear good news about their bad habits)

See my August 2006 newsletter:

Adding Avocados or Oils to Salads Aids Absorption of Nutrients—More Good News about Bad Habits

Findings from a study of 11 subjects published in 2005 on the benefits of eating oily foods have resurfaced (Wednesday, August 09, 2006; by Tara Parker-Pope, The Wall Street Journal).1 This revived story is based on an article titled, Carotenoid absorption from salad and salsa by humans is enhanced by the addition of avocado or avocado oil by Nuray Unlu, published in the Journal of Nutrition. The researchers found that, “adding avocado fruit can significantly enhance carotenoid absorption from salad and salsa, which is attributed primarily to the lipids present in avocado.”2 The research was funded by the California Avocado Commission. Half an avocado was as effective at enhancing absorption as a whole avocado. One avocado was estimated to contain 24 grams of oil. Pure avocado oil (24 grams) was also tested and found to be as effective as the whole avocado.

Comments:

In my forty-year career as a medical doctor, I have never seen any diseases due to deficiency of carotenoids in a patient—ever. But every day I see hundreds of people in shopping centers and on the street suffering from diseases due to fat excess. Therefore, even faced with the findings of this study, my recommendations to limit fats and oils will remain the same. For healthy, trim people I have always said unprocessed, high-fat foods, like avocados, nuts, seeds and olives, can be a delicious addition to their diet—and may be important for those with high calories needs, such as athletes and active children.

Our requirements for essential fats are very small—no more than 0.5 gram daily. Only plants can synthesize essential fats—so eating plant-foods is the obvious source of these necessary nutrients. Because body fats (adipose tissue) store these essential fats efficiently, even if overweight people were placed on an artificially manufactured fat-free diet, they would have little risk of becoming deficient in essential fats over their entire lifetime. Note: a diet made of unprocessed plant foods, like the McDougall diet, naturally contains about 7% of its calories as fat—and about half the total fat found in plant foods is of the essential variety—the kind we need

People struggling to lose excess body weight will want to avoid all high fat foods and especially oils—the fat you eat is the fat you wear. Optimum absorption of nutrients has been reported to occur with as little as 3 grams of added fats (27 calories) per meal.2 In this experiment, where people consumed whole avocados or the oil extract, they ate 21 grams of fat which translates into 189 extra calories per meal.

There is a big difference between fats consumed in their natural packages as avocados, nuts, seeds, and olives; and fats consumed as extracted oils. Fats found in foods are combined with other essential nutrients (vitamins, minerals, fibers, and thousands of important phytochemicals). These naturally balanced combinations allow the fats to safely and efficiently work when they enter the cells of your body. Free fats, stripped away from the other ingredients found in grains, fruits, seeds or nuts, become medicines, at best, and toxins, at worst. Consuming free vegetable oils easily makes people fat, and the fats suppress the immune system (increasing the risk of cancer and infection), and encourage bleeding. These free oils easily spoil, becoming rancid—a condition where harmful free radicals are plentiful.

Low-fat plant foods provide all the carotenoids the body needs. Consider the possibility that an excess of these nutrients caused by adding avocados and other oils to a low-fat meal may result in nutritional imbalances that encourage disease. It is possible.

If you want to believe that there is a health advantage from more nutrients entering your body, then at least act conservatively. For maximum carotenoid absorption the amount of fat required is as little as 1/7th of an avocado—about a tablespoonful per meal. Also heating and blending fruits and vegetables enhance nutrient absorption3—and these are much safer approaches than stuffing your overweight self with fat.

1) http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06221/712211-114.stm

2) Unlu NZ, Bohn T, Clinton SK, Schwartz SJ. Carotenoid absorption from salad and salsa by humans is enhanced by the addition of avocado or avocado oil. J Nutr. 2005 Mar;135(3):431-6.

3) Brown MJ, Ferruzzi MG, Nguyen ML, Cooper DA, Eldridge AL, Schwartz SJ, White WS. Carotenoid bioavailability is higher from salads ingested with full-fat than with fat-reduced salad dressings as measured with electrochemical detection.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Aug;80(2):396-403.

and

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30165

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby wade4veg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:03 pm

Well, I see Dr. McDougalls post includes the possibility of nuts, as Dr. Greger did in that video as a substitute for oil in the dressing.
Nuts were not included in the post in the thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5939&p=40520 which we were directed to.

I'd have no problem with a walnut added into my salad if it would help absorption of the nutrients.
wade4veg

Postby JeffN » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:46 pm

wade4veg wrote: Well, I see Dr. McDougalls post includes the possibility of nuts, as Dr. Greger did in that video as a substitute for oil in the dressing.
Nuts were not included in the post in the thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5939&p=40520 which we were directed to..

It is difficult to understand someones point of view and position from one thread or post. Everything has to be put into context.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40295

wade4veg wrote:I'd have no problem with a walnut added into my salad if it would help absorption of the nutrients.

Dr McDougall is not recommending adding nuts to salad to increase absorption of nutrients. However, nuts are allowed on this diet.

The highest absorption of nutrients is from fruits and tubers.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27515&p=274666#p274666

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 pm

Blue zones longevity groups probably did not pour oil on their vegetables and many of these groups might even appear deficient in some micronutrients. The reductionist studies of Dr Greger tend to be misleading, most of the time.
colonyofcells

Postby Katydid » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:17 am

If you would like to expand your knowledge regarding oil, nuts and this way of eating, I HIGHLY recommend the following to videos by Jeff Novick:

From Oil to Nuts: The Essential Facts of Fats, Oils & Nuts
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shop ... l-to-nuts/

and

Nuts and Health: What the Science Really Says
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shop ... nd-health/

These videos really helped me when I was debating the appropriate mix of a "McDougall/Fuhrman" diet plan.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Jumpstart » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:13 pm

I've never seen Dr. Greger advocate the use of oils. I believe he's simply pointing out that there was a study that compared fat free versus oil dressing and the study showed the oiled dressing won out. Dr. Greger advocates replacing an oily dressing with oil free BUT adding nuts as the fat. Greger has had many vids where he literally goes nuts for nuts. There have just been just too many studies including the very unbiased Adventist studies that show much better outcomes in every category for those that eat nuts versus those that don't. Of course when weight is the problem nuts can be very problematic. Even Essy is in favor of including fat in your greens but he advocates flaxseed.
Jumpstart

Postby Spiral » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Nuts should be limited to 1 or 2 ounces per day.

Why?

Most nuts have a high Omega 6 to Omega 3 fatty acid ratio. This means that eating too many nuts could put your body into an inflammatory state.

Nuts are very high in calorie density. Too many nuts means weight gain.

Nuts are high in fat and modestly high in saturated fat. Too many nuts isn't good for the arteries.

Sure, there are some studies where they look at people who eat nuts in place of meat, dairy and eggs and those studies show that the nut eaters have better health outcomes.

But if you take people eating the McDougall diet, nuts are more likely to be harmful than helpful, because there are so many McDougall legal foods that are lower in calorie density and lower in saturated fat.

Esselstyn recommends perhaps a tablespoon or two of ground flaxseed each day, which is enough to provide plenty of Omega 3 fatty acids. Anything more than that is probably a step in the wrong direction.

Don't go nuts!
Spiral

Postby MikeInFL » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:23 pm

The fundamental rule about any food is to ask- is it processed? Oils are all processed. So best to avoid. However, I think it's possible that a diet very rich in nutrient dense whole foods might over come some olive oil in the diet. But best not to take that chance.

Chris Wark is a web blogger that cured his stage 3 colon cancer with raw vegan diet. His lunch and dinner was his big "anti-cancer" diet:

http://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/the-gian ... ing-salad/

He ate big "anti-cancer" salads every day, with all those good veggies like dark leafys, cruciferious, mushrooms, peppers, leeks, etc.

It worked. He cured his cancer. But what was his salad dressing? This:

"-Liberally drizzle Organic Cold-Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil over your salad
-Lightly drizzle Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to taste (another super healthy fermented food!)

Then shake on these Four Cancer Fighting Spices:
-Organic Oregano
-Organic Garlic Powder
-Organic Turmeric or Curry Powder
-Organic Cayenne Pepper"

In his salad making video, he pours a lot of olive oil on his salad. No one here recommends that. Also he wasn't trying to cure heart disease.
MikeInFL

Return to The Lounge