Cooking Veggie soup!?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cooking Veggie soup!?

Postby boardn10 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Hey all!

Do many of you make veggie soup? I have been making it lately but wonder if any nutrients are lost in cooking? I know Jeff hass that article on his site, but cooking soup takes much longer! I know the nutrients can end up in the soup, but consider the beans are cooked for a few hours and then the veggies can be up to 1.5 hours according to the instructions or recipe.

Thanks!

Rich
boardn10

Re: Cooking Veggie soup!?

Postby JeffN » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:57 pm

boardn10 wrote:Hey all!

Do many of you make veggie soup? I have been making it lately but wonder if any nutrients are lost in cooking? I know Jeff hass that article on his site, but cooking soup takes much longer! I know the nutrients can end up in the soup, but consider the beans are cooked for a few hours and then the veggies can be up to 1.5 hours according to the instructions or recipe.

Thanks!

Rich

Rich

Minerals are heat stable and not effected by heat.

In addition to the studies I posted, you can go to the USDA databases where you can see the value for raw broccoli (or any other food) and for cooked broccoli (or any other food) and see the answer. They have done the research

Then you will know for sure.

Or you can look at this data, where a friend has already done that and posted it on the internet.

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-coo ... 20on%20vit

Vegetables are also the most nutrient dense food there is. So, even if there is a minor loss (which there is for a few nutrients), the cooked vegetables in the soup would still be extremely nutrient dense.

The recipe at my website has you "simmer" the soup for 30 minutes, which is low heat for a short time. Plus you consume all the water that the food is cooked in so if any nutrients are lost into the water, you will consume them when you consume the soup.

Remember there is no evidence that the nutrition problems we face, and the epidemic of obesity, CVD, HTN, DBs, etc are in anyway due to the loss of nutrients form cooking. The number one reason for any potential lack of nutrients in any diet, is because of the intake of refined and processed foods, not from cooking.

We suffer mainly from excesses (fat, sat fat, sugar, salt, etc), and not deficiencies.

If you want to slay the dragon, you have to aim for its heart. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby boardn10 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:06 am

Thanks! I know minerals are stable. How about Vitamins? I'll check that link...thanks!

Rich
boardn10

Return to Jeff Novick, RD