Sodium, Water Retention and Weight loss

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sodium, Water Retention and Weight loss

Postby Steve » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi Jeff,

I am trying to understand the relationship between sodium, water retention and weight loss. I understand your expertise is in the Nutritional sciences and I am not seeking medical advice, unless you would like to that is. In general, if a person is trying to lose weight, will drinking plain water be neutral? I mean do you pee off excess water? I am thinking that the level of sodium would be the more important element of water retention. Any insight you have is sought and welcome.

The question I am not asking as it would be a medical question is that assuming a person is receiving lasix to reduce water retention and is striving to be on a low sodium diet, would drinking water cause water retention or just be a function of the medication and sodium intake. I will post this question soon on the lounge or email to Dr. McDougall. I was just hoping for the general how water and sodium and water retention works. You see someone near and dear is taking medication, striving for low sodium and trying to dehydrate. I was thinking the intentional dehydration was not productive, but again that will be the medical question.

Steve
Steve

Re: Sodium, Water Retention and Weight loss

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:18 am

These are seperate issues.

Weight is a factor of energy balance over time.

Excess salt may cause some water retention of a few lbs but does not interfere with energy balance and weight loss over time.

So, take someone who is maintaining an energy deficit over time and losing a few lbs a week and consuming little to any added salt. They have a single high salt meal, drink plenty of water and gain 1-3 lbs in the next day from fluid retention. If they go back to their low/no added salt, they will lose the 1-3 lbs over the next day or two & the 1-3 lbs was a temporary wt gain based on water retention, not excess calories. If they maintain the high salt intake, the body wil not contonue to hold more & more water as there is a limit to how much it will hold.

This does not impact energy balance or weight loss over time.

Anyone who meticulously weigjs & measures their food every day & moniters their weight will see minor daily fluctuations in weight that have nothing ro do with energy balance. This is why I don't recommend daily weighing but onstead weoghing once weekly and looking at overall trend.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Sodium, Water Retention and Weight loss

Postby Steve » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:48 pm

Jeff,

Thanks for the answer. I also got a chance today to ask a doctor about the medical question. Was not supposed to see this doctor until March but got the chance today anyway. The medical answer was to try to limit water to 1.5 liters per day, drink when thirsty and some adjustments on the medications. This is all good news. I will review the nutritional information also. All in all an incredible day as we received really good news from this doctor. This was a praise the Lord moment and an answer to specific prayer. My near and dear was told they no longer needed oxygen and the doctor is reducing and removing the most dangerous of the medications. What a day. Oh and by the way doctor agreed that 1,000 mg of sodium or less per day as a target was a good idea.

Thanks again,

Steve
Steve

Return to Jeff Novick, RD