Nuts

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Nuts

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:50 pm

what are your views on eating nuts for heart disease....mostly coronary artery disease? I make alot of dressings out of raw cashews and also use flaxseed every morning....
ncyg46

Re: Nuts

Postby JeffN » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:44 pm

ncyg46 wrote:what are your views on eating nuts for heart disease....mostly coronary artery disease? I make alot of dressings out of raw cashews and also use flaxseed every morning....

Greetings,

An optimal diet does not require the inclusion of any one food (berries, soy, broccoli, etc), including nuts. And, some of what you hear about nuts, is somewhat distorted.

My nutritional recommendations are the same for heart disease as they are in general, including my recommendations for nuts/seeds. After all, a truly healthy diet should not only be helpful for heart disease, it should also be helpful for obesity, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, hypertension, arthritis, cancer, etc, etc.

Nuts are nutritious and can be a good source of some vitamins and minerals, but we always have to look at a food as a total package and not just any one aspect of it.

Nuts, are around 70% fat. And, while most of the fat in nuts is not saturated fat, the very high fat content increases the calorie density of the nuts. Nuts, at 2800 calories per pound, are one of the most calorie dense foods there are on the planet. Adding foods that are high in calorie density increases the overall calorie density of the diet. And, as you increase the calorie density of someones diet, you increase the likelihood they will overeat. As 66% of Americans are overweight, and 33% of them are obese, weight (And calorie density) is an important issue to be considered when promoting health and nutrition information.

Speaking of fat, most of the fat in most nuts is mono-unsaturated fat, which is not the essential fat, nor is it a "good" fat. I consider it more neutral at best. Plus, there is no requirement for us to consume mono unsaturated fat. We make plenty of it very easily.

Most nuts, outside the English walnut are a poor source of essential fats, the fat that is most beneficial for heart disease. And, it only takes about 1 oz of English walnuts, to provide the amount of essential fats we need. More is not always better. In addition, these essential fats are also abundant in green leafy vegetables also.

Walnuts are also 8.5% saturated fat, which is even above the AHA recommendation, so too many walnuts have the potential of interfering with keeping ones total saturated fat below 7%.

Too many nuts can increase the total fat content of the diet. High fat diets can interfere with blood flow, increase clotting factors, and decrease performance.

Having said all that, if someone was to follow an optimal health supporting diet, and they wanted to include some nuts/seeds, then there is probably no problem with the inclusion of 1 or 2 oz of nuts/seeds (without oil and/or salt). However, if weight is a problem, I would limit that amount to 1 oz or less. And, if they are included, to consume them as part of a meal with other foods that are very low in calorie density.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:25 pm

thank you Jeff..

I have only been using them for making dressings, mosty raw cashews.... and some dehydrated sunflower/flax crackers. I really got alot out of your talks on reading labels...thank you!

I will watch what i do with the nuts. I don't really know if heart disease refers to a heart attack or coronary blockages....what is it? I had two bypasses so far...one in 94 and legs in 98. I have tried to totally turn around my diet, stopped smoking, not sure what else to do. I do have a few cheat meals a year!
ncyg46

Postby JeffN » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:36 pm

ncyg46 wrote:thank you Jeff..

I have only been using them for making dressings, mosty raw cashews.... and some dehydrated sunflower/flax crackers. I really got alot out of your talks on reading labels...thank you!

Thank you!!

Go easy on those cashews. :)

BTW, You did not mention if weight is an issue, but if it is, don't over do the dehydrated crackers either, as they are also very calorie dense. In addition, the flax seed in these dehydrated crackers are often whole flax seeds, which many people can not digest, unless they are ground up first. So, you may not be even getting the benefit from the essential fats in the flax seeds.

ncyg46 wrote:I don't really know if heart disease refers to a heart attack or coronary blockages....what is it? I had two bypasses so far...one in 94 and legs in 98. I have tried to totally turn around my diet, stopped smoking, not sure what else to do. I do have a few cheat meals a year!

Heart disease is an umbrella term for many diseases that effect the heart.

If I had 2 bypasses, I would be extremely careful with what I ate and it seems like you are heading in the right direction doing the right things. Quitting smoking is the most important and changing your diet is number two.

Congrats on all your changes so far!!

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:49 pm

Jeff....

never had the heart attack but was lucky at 49 to be diagnosed by the dr that wrote "what would Jesus eat" Yeah he was not much of a writer, and I forget his actual name, know it started with a C. He actually sent me to the cardiologists in Orlando. He went into Liposuction for awhile but did do a good job with me.

Don't think I have a weight issue. I was at 136 cholesterol before starting on Fuhrmans diet and went up to 159. I am at 128 to 130 lbs, feel good, am a full time rver and get to walk alot. I did the e2l diet for 9 months and all my numbers got worse. I know I added brown rice back in and seem to be doing better, just don't eat alot (I am in my 60's)but I do enjoy all the veggies I have been eating. I was also wondering about the tahini and nut butters in some recipes I have seen. Are they all bad? I feel I am doing pretty good since most bypasses don't last a long time and I am probably on borrowed time!!!! :D
ncyg46

Postby f1jim » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:59 pm

NCYG46
Let it go!!!! I have traveled the path you are on and I see myself in you. Let go of the fatty food like peanut butter. There are isolated studies that can prove anything is healthy!!! But the truth is lot's of peanut butter or cashews will keep the weight on, contribute to your heart disease, and keep your taste for fatty foods at the forefront. I think back about what I used to put on my salads thinking I was being healthy and I cringe now. I was getting more fat from my salads than someone else next to me was eating in their cut of meat! It's hard to wean away from this stuff but once you have done it the same habits that were hurting you can be helping you. Now my salads are large and topped with balsamic vinegar and I love them. I have a large salad twice a day and it has made a world of difference in my weight and blood lipids. For me, I was the poster boy for the comment that Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn makes when he says "with heart disease moderation kills." See, if I ate a little peanut butter I would eat a lot...If I ate a little salad dressing I would eat a lot. Does that sound familiar to you at all? I used to have every excuse why this or that food was okay for me. Chest pain and fear were enough to bring me back to reality. If you check out nothing else please invest the time to watch this video and understand why the struggle is so hard and what can be done to make it easier. It's funny and informative at the same time.
http://vsh.voip-info.org/lisle.html
Good luck to you.
Your teammate in good health.
f1jim
f1jim

you are right!

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:22 pm

i have watched that video and read the book. I have been so into the eat to live stuff for the last 9 months that I am having a hard time. I like just balsamic and rice vinegar most of the time, but I was trying to do the recipes...

I do have a tendency to read some of the new veggie cookbooks and it throws me off. I made an eggplant dip with tahini the other day, don't know why, but I really know I shouldn't eat it. I just read soooooo much stuff on the other site with everyone not really losing weight and eating all those nuts and avocados that I was questioning it. So afraid to even eat grains after all these months but I seem to do better on them. So I will read more and s
absorb!!! thanks....I am canceling it tomorrow, just fed up with the nastygrams from various members and the dr himself! I just don't need it!
ncyg46

Don't know if this is relevant,

Postby SactoBob » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:50 pm

But in or PMs you mentioned that your chol. numbers are with 40mg Lipitor long term. That could indicate that you might benefit by looking carefully at what your eating.

One thing I would worry about cashews is something talked about by Doug Lisle. In order to lose your taste for fat, it is hard to repeatedly tease yourself with high fat foods - at least it has been easier for me to stay away, because I can definitely abuse peanut butter, cashews, almonds etc. Then I start craving chocolate etc. What was that junk food commercial - "I bet you can't eat just one." That is how I react to any high fat food like cashews etc.

Don't feel like you are on borrowed time. Dr. E's patients were mostly sicker than you, and they are now fine with very low cholesterols below 150 some 20 years later.

BTW, I am envious of your Sedona RV trip. We took one a couple years ago and stayed at an RV park south of town that was nice. Lot's of interesting ruins and of course rock formations. I hope you get good weather, it is so beautiful there.
SactoBob

How much exercise?

Postby Burgess » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:12 am

ncyg46 wrote:I had two bypasses so far...one in 94 and legs in 98. I have tried to totally turn around my diet, stopped smoking, not sure what else to do.

How much exercise do you do daily?
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:10 am

Sometimes, we do not understand the real contribution certain foods, such as nuts, has to our diet, as they are so calorie dense. It only takes a little bit to have a big influence.

For instance, recently, I worked with someone who was including some nuts and seeds every day, based on some other guidelines they were trying to follow and they assured me that the percentage of fat in their diet was no more than 30-35%.

When they told me what they were eating, I said, their diet must be around 60-70% fat. They were shocked and said, no, they were following these other guidelines and were confident it was 30-35%.

So, I had the weigh and measure everything and analyze their intake. It was over 60% fat.

Be careful

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

nut and fats

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:03 am

Yes, we won't mention any names but my numbers were much better before doing the avocado, nuts and even small amounts of olive oil. I actually prefer just rice wine vinegar or balsamic on my salads so I will cut out the nuts. I was so afraid of eating a potato or any grains, now I am adding them and will get it back down...The only thing I will continue is the tablespoon of flaxseed I use in the smoothie...

My exercise is mostly a lot of walking, but I should do more! With the size of the truck and rig we always park at the back of the parking lot! But I still do need more exercise. We are heading to the Grand Canyon and Williams area on Tuesday so I may not be on as much unless I find a wifi hotspot, not going to figure that my aircard will work there!!!

I appreciate all the responses! we are staying at a campground in Cottonwood, then another one about 10 minutes from Sedona and one in Camp Verde area. Hanging out till the weather gets better before going to Utah and north. Friend sent a pic of snow in her campground in Grand Canyon Caverns right down the road from Williams :(
ncyg46

Postby susie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:17 am

Nancy mentioning no names, I feel a lot better after leaving that 'other' website/guidelines. Dr McDougall said that a lot of people are allergic to tree/ground nuts. I would love a penny for everyone there that told me they could eat 3plates of spinach as long a it was smothered with cashew cream, lol.

In case I miss you, have a happy Easter and I will talk with you once you are back online.

Cheers susie/wombat.
susie

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:03 am

thanks Susie...

I am not sure when I will or won't be on, depends on wifi and verizon! I guess there are always the libraries and hot spot cafes, but when I do that I mostly go in an dump emails!!!! I know I have two weeks in a lovely place that they say is "friendly and has good fishing" so I am not expecting much!!

I am no longer a member of you know who's site and did tell customer service exactly why! I will keep in touch, leaving this morning to the COLD weather. ugh :cry:
ncyg46

Postby Suebee » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:25 pm

I'm glad to be reading these posts! I too was being misled by you-know-who (he who must not be named--hee, hee). I joined in December after hearing him talk on a Vegsource DVD about a health conference. I thought he was right about fats and that Dr. M must have it all wrong! However, I just couldn't give up starches and thought I was just "weak." There's another problem--now I'm afraid of giving up the fats because my husband signed us up to attend his weeklong health conference being held in the Poconos this July. We are paid up and can't back out! It's our anniversary trip and I can't tell my husband in any way we can't attend. HELP! What can I do? I've no idea if they will even serve baked potatoes, bread or any starches at the meals. Should I stop the fats now, I fear I will be sick when I am forced to eat them again. Any ideas??? What a mess!
Suebee

Postby auntemmy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:27 am

Wow! I'm just reading between the lines but the whole concept of what's okay to eat on one site and not the other is reminding me of something I read here recently about people following whatever food program that allows them have the foods they like. For example a steak and cheese lover will low carb (for awhile) and forgo healthy grains and starches (for awhile) and then end up eating steak and potatoes and butter and cheese yada yada yada....the confusion was the worst part.

Aside from all I have learned, in my gut (no pun) I believe that fats in any form are not needed by me. It is not easy to give up nuts and peanut butter (and CHEESE). I have to believe I'm doing something good for my body. It makes sense to me.
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

Next

Return to Jeff Novick, RD