Is it the refined carbs or the animal foods?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is it the refined carbs or the animal foods?

Postby melaniebarket » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:45 am

My friends and clients have often asked me this question. I was wondering if you might point me in the right direction.

In The China Study and other studies how do we know if the outcome is/was from the switch away from animal products and not the reduction of refined carbs that made/make the difference?

Does this question make sense?

Thanks, Melanie
Melanie Barket
WFPB 4 EVER
melaniebarket

Re: Is it the refined carbs or the animal foods?

Postby JeffN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:54 am

melaniebarket wrote:My friends and clients have often asked me this question. I was wondering if you might point me in the right direction.

In The China Study and other studies how do we know if the outcome is/was from the switch away from animal products and not the reduction of refined carbs that made/make the difference?

Does this question make sense?

Thanks, Melanie

1) Why does it have to be one or the other? Maybe it is both.

2) If you look at caloric contributions, we get many more calories from refined carbs then we do from animal products.

3) Refined carbs often come in the form of junk foods loaded with unhealthy fats (hydrogenated, tropical, etc), added sugars and added salt, which must be considered when pointing the finger at refined carbs.

4) A whole food plant based diet, that is high in added salt, added sugars or added plant fats is not going to be healthy. So, it is more than either/or.

5) Total dietary patterns matter much more than any one (or two) foods or types of foods.

6) The China Study is an ecological study and only shows casual relationships amongst groups of people (not individuals). It is not the best example of a study to answer this question.

To me, this question might make sense if one was a huge problem and the other a little problem (ie, total sugar vs type of sugar) but they are both huge problems. So, the answer is to fix all that is wrong with the diet and the standard American diet, has a lot that is very wrong with it.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby melaniebarket » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:14 am

I agree with you completely Jeff. It's an argument some people make to continue eating animal foods. It's also, in my opinion, part of the argument of the Paleo peeps. They say that it's NOT the animal foods, but that it's the high carb diet. I know that it's both. I just am continually getting a barrage of questions due to all the media regarding the Paleo type diet. Even Dr. Hyman puts potatoes in the high carb category on CBS this morning and talks about including lots of good fats like olive oil to your diet.

I am trying to have a pat answer without emotion and it is becoming very difficult. I know lots of the people who question me are also those who are in denial. However, they are also confused with the constant media, new books, and supposedly new studies favoring the high protein diet. It gets tiring. Perhaps I shouldn't waste my time trying to answer the question.

Thanks for the rapid fire response by the way!

Melanie
Melanie Barket
WFPB 4 EVER
melaniebarket

Postby JeffN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:26 am

melaniebarket wrote:I agree with you completely Jeff. It's an argument some people make to continue eating animal foods. It's also, in my opinion, part of the argument of the Paleo peeps. They say that it's NOT the animal foods, but that it's the high carb diet. I know that it's both. I just am continually getting a barrage of questions due to all the media regarding the Paleo type diet. Even Dr. Hyman puts potatoes in the high carb category on CBS this morning and talks about including lots of good fats like olive oil to your diet.

I am trying to have a pat answer without emotion and it is becoming very difficult. I know lots of the people who question me are also those who are in denial. However, they are also confused with the constant media, new books, and supposedly new studies favoring the high protein diet. It gets tiring. Perhaps I shouldn't waste my time trying to answer the question.

Thanks for the rapid fire response by the way!

Melanie

To me, I never engage in these debates or discussions nor do I understand them nor do I recommend them. Nor do I work with clients who are not fully committed to doing this.

And this constant focus and debate on every passing study does more harm then good as it takes the focus off of true science and how the scientific method really works.

However, in the end, the pat answer is neither as it is both and more importantly, the total dietary pattern. I can great very healthy and very unhealthy diets with animal products &/or refined carbohydrates.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby melaniebarket » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:53 am

I definitely do not work with people who are not fully onboard. However, I am looking for a response to get people off my back, in my case family who are in the medical field. I know what I WANT to say to them ;) Do you have a "go to" response that works for you?

Thanks, Melanie
Melanie Barket
WFPB 4 EVER
melaniebarket

Postby JeffN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:55 am

melaniebarket wrote:I definitely do not work with people who are not fully onboard. However, I am looking for a response to get people off my back, in my case family who are in the medical field. I know what I WANT to say to them ;) Do you have a "go to" response that works for you?

Thanks, Melanie

Yes

First, you must watch Doug Lisle's video, How To Get Along Without Going Along. Me and him subscribe t the same approach, 100% and he lays it out beautifully.

It is the exact response I have used for over 2 decades and in my experience, the only one that truly works.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby melaniebarket » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Will do. Love Doug Lisle. I have not seen that particular video. Where might I find a copy. I am more than willing to buy it.

Thank you, Melanie
Melanie Barket
WFPB 4 EVER
melaniebarket

Return to Jeff Novick, RD