Vitamin K, blood clots, coumadin, Protein C and Protein S

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vitamin K, blood clots, coumadin, Protein C and Protein S

Postby Charlie » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi Jeff,
On 2-11-08, I had a blood clot in the calf of my right leg. Several weeks prior, results of blood work showed my cholesterol to be 134 and triglycerides were 111. (No Meds) Blood Pressure and sugar controlled with diet.

I stayed in the hospital for 7 days on heparin and coumadin. I was told my INR (International Normalized Ratio) should be between 2 and 3. I was finally discharged when my INR reached 1.86.

The blood work the day I was admitted, showed my Protein C to be 70 and Protein S was 29, both low. Dr. told me that I must stay on coumadin the rest of my life since my Protein C/S is low. He told me there was nothing I could do to bring the Protein C/S within range because it was in my genes. This is very disturbing since I have been able to get off meds for, diabetes, cholesteral and blood pressure since following Dr. McDougall. I was walking 3 to 5 miles a day. I am 72 and never had a blood clot before. My A1C runs 5.5 blood pressure average 130-135 over 60-69.

Since leaving the hospital...blood pressure running on average 160 over 70-80. I haven't found anything that says coumadin causes a rise in blood pressure.

I must say, I do not have a lots of faith in most of the doctors...they usually want to write a prescription.

I am confused :? about viamin K, spinach, kale, cabbage, lettuce etc with the use of coumadin. Does vitamin K help raise the INR or does it help lower INR or neither. Is there something I can do to raise my Protein C/S?

While typing this post...it came across the CBS news that Heparin is being investigated by the FDA because of 21 deaths that heparin :mad: supposedly caused. I'm trying to stay off of these drugs and live a healthy lifestyle with diet.

I need some help!

Thanks,

Charlie
Charlie

Re: Vitamin K, blood clots, coumadin, Protein C and Protein

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi Charlie

Charlie wrote:This is very disturbing since I have been able to get off meds for, diabetes, cholesteral and blood pressure since following Dr. McDougall. I was walking 3 to 5 miles a day. I am 72 and never had a blood clot before. My A1C runs 5.5 blood pressure average 130-135 over 60-69 Since leaving the hospital...blood pressure running on average 160 over 70-80. I haven't found anything that says coumadin causes a rise in blood pressure.

Congratulations on everything you are doing to take care of yourself. Being in a hospital, for anyone, can be a very stressful event and influence your numbers. Coumadin is not known to cause a rise in BP so just continue your healthy lifestyle and keep an eye on the numbers and I am sure you will see them return to their previous levels.

Charlie wrote:I am confused :? about viamin K, spinach, kale, cabbage, lettuce etc with the use of coumadin. Does vitamin K help raise the INR or does it help lower INR or neither.

Vitamin K can decrease the blood thinning effects of warfarin, and will therefore lower the PT or INR value. This may increase the risk of clotting.

In regard to green leafy vegetables and Vit K and Coumadin, the information we often hear is not always correct. Often, patients are told to avoid all green vegetables and green leafies. This is not correct.

The most important issue if you are on coumadin is to keep your intake of Vit K stable. So, what I tell my patients is to eat a healthy diet that includes lots of healthy vegetables (green and otherwise) and have your levels checked so they can adjust your coumadin levels to your healthy diet.

Then, continue your healthy diet and keep your intake/diet consistant and stable. So, for example, if you like to eat a good size salad and some broccoli with your dinner, what is important is you eat about the same amount each of these foods each day and not lots one day and none the next.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Protein C/S

Postby Charlie » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Jeff, thanks for your reply. The explanation about the vitamin K is clear.

Charlie
Charlie

Return to Jeff Novick, RD