forbidden foods for autoimmune diseases

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

forbidden foods for autoimmune diseases

Postby Ishtar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi,

This is my first time on this forum. I suffer from Raynaud`s Phenomenon. I wonder if there are any foods and/ or dietary considerations if someone suffers from auto immune diseases. I am already vegan and following a low fat diet for 3 months.
I have read foods from the nighshade family are not good at all.
I wonder if it is possible to improve my condition by nutritional approach ( actually I got this after suffering from anorexia several years ago).
Ishtar

Re: forbidden foods for autoimmune diseases

Postby JeffN » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:03 am

Ishtar wrote:Hi,

This is my first time on this forum. I suffer from Raynaud`s Phenomenon. I wonder if there are any foods and/ or dietary considerations if someone suffers from auto immune diseases. I am already vegan and following a low fat diet for 3 months.
I have read foods from the nighshade family are not good at all.
I wonder if it is possible to improve my condition by nutritional approach ( actually I got this after suffering from anorexia several years ago).

Greetings

Healthy living is almost never contraindicated. :)

So, you should always do as much as possible to follow a health supporting lifestyle including a healthy diet and daily activity. While vegan and low fat may sound good, make sure your vegan and low fat is based on unrefined unprocessed fruits, veggies, starchy veggies, whole grains and legumes and not packaged and processed products. Whole natural foods are the most nutrient dense foods and the richest sources of all the powerful antioxidants and phyto-chemicals you need.

In regard to immunity, make sure you are not using any oils, as they can impact the immune system/response. In addition, limit (or eliminate) all the processed refined carbs which are low in all the important nutrients and phytochemicals you need.

Ensure an adequate intake of your essential fats, which are immune enhancing through lots of green leafy vegetables, and if you want, include a TB or two of ground flax seed per day.

And, make sure you are enjoying life and doing the things you love every day.

Stick with it, and you will be giving your body the best you can

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD

PS I do not know of any good evidence that eliminating night shade foods will be of any benefit.
JeffN

doubts

Postby Ishtar » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for your reply, I found it very helpful.
I am really not using processed foods right nor but I can finally understand why the autoimmune disease was getting worse and worse: the high fat diet.

Regarding the essential fats, lately I have not eaten flax as I was already eating too much oil ( until 3 months ago when I was told I have fat malabsorption). I think I do need them as my skin is too dry. Are you familiar with chia seeds? Just read some info that they are better than flax.

I had forgot to ask you how long should I wait before having my B12 levels checked if I was taking algae products. Turns out my doctor thinks my levels are too low because I have the symptoms. Just last year I took a dose that is supposed to cover my B12 needs during the next 5 years (it was a sublingual B12 methylcobalamin).
I have been taken lots of chlorella and spirulina at least, during the last 5 years and she told me the analogues prevent the absorption of B12. Is this true?
Ishtar

Re: doubts

Postby JeffN » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:57 pm

Ishtar wrote:Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for your reply, I found it very helpful.
I am really not using processed foods right nor but I can finally understand why the autoimmune disease was getting worse and worse: the high fat diet.

Regarding the essential fats, lately I have not eaten flax as I was already eating too much oil ( until 3 months ago when I was told I have fat malabsorption). I think I do need them as my skin is too dry. Are you familiar with chia seeds? Just read some info that they are better than flax.

I had forgot to ask you how long should I wait before having my B12 levels checked if I was taking algae products. Turns out my doctor thinks my levels are too low because I have the symptoms. Just last year I took a dose that is supposed to cover my B12 needs during the next 5 years (it was a sublingual B12 methylcobalamin).
I have been taken lots of chlorella and spirulina at least, during the last 5 years and she told me the analogues prevent the absorption of B12. Is this true?

Fat, especially the fat that most people consume, even, and especially all the vegetable oils, is the worst for the immune system, so cutting that out will be important.

You do not need to buy chia, or hemp or anything else, as they are not better, as flax is just fine and one of the richest sources there is of Omega 3s. It is also widely available and very inexpensive. Just add in 1-2 TB of ground flax per day.

Algae and spirulina and chorella are not good sources of Vit B12 and, you are correct, contain analogues that may actually interfere with B12 absorption.

You do not have to wait to take B12 if you dont want to, especially if you already have symptoms.

You could take 2000 mcgs of B12 a day for 14 days to try and build up your reserves and then go down to about 1000 mcgs once or twice a week and get your levels rechecked.

The following ones ares vegan

* Pangea VeganLife B12 Chewable Supplement 1,000 mcg tablets
* VegLife sublingual 1,000 mcg lozenges.
* Freeda Vitamins 500 mcg lozenges
* Nature's Bounty sublingual 2500 mcg
* Solgar sublingual 1,000 mcg nuggets

In Health
Jeff Novick,MS, RD
Last edited by JeffN on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffN

Postby Jaggu » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:44 pm

Jeff,

Are you recommending 1-2 TB of flaxseed and B12? Does B12 also contain a folic acid?

As I understand flaxseed is to get omega-3 fatty acids. Don't know what does B12 do?
Jaggu

Postby JeffN » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Jaggu wrote:Jeff,

Are you recommending 1-2 TB of flaxseed and B12? Does B12 also contain a folic acid?

As I understand flaxseed is to get omega-3 fatty acids. Don't know what does B12 do?

B12 is B12. It does not contain Folic Acid. Some B complex vitamins do contain both. Folic acid is abundant in a plant food diet. B12 is not.

If you are a vegan, and consume no fortified foods that have B12 added, then you will need a reliable source of B12.

Flaxseed is an option but is not required. Depends on you and the rest of your diet.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Postby energy_dad » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'm curious why you recommend a high dose of b12? I think Dr. McDougall says we need 5mcgs per day. Wouldn't one 100mcgs pill per week be sufficient to meet our daily needs? Thanks!
energy_dad

Postby JeffN » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:39 am

We only absorb a small percent of the oral dose.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby energy_dad » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:11 am

Is there any danger in giving my kids the same dose as myself?

Can you overdose on B12? Is it more cautious to take 500 mcgs twice a week?

Thanks for your time.
energy_dad

Postby JeffN » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:15 am

JeffN

Postby energy_dad » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:20 am

Perfect. Thank you.
One final question :)
Does it make a difference if it's chewable or not?
energy_dad

Postby JeffN » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:37 pm

energy_dad wrote:Perfect. Thank you.
One final question :)
Does it make a difference if it's chewable or not?

It may be worth your while to read the full discussion on B12 at the linked site as it covers all the issues in detail.

:)

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby energy_dad » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:30 pm

I read it but I thought it was only referring to those who haven't had a regular source for B12 for awhile.

I take it the dissolving a nugget under the tongue method is better than swallowing a lozenge?

Also, what is the best way to give a nugget to a 4 year old?
I don't think my kid will wait for this nugget to dissolve under her tongue. :)
Should I chop it up and put it in cold food? Thanks!
energy_dad

Postby JeffN » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:16 pm

It is a very long and detailed article that I recommend you read and not just the first link.

Here is the full article

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

On infants and children

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/infants

On chewing

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/dig

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby energy_dad » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Got it. Thank you for pointing that out!
This answered all my questions but one.

What do I do with my 4 year old?
The best method is to have her put the recommended dose under her tongue untill it dissolves completely. Kids can't do this until they are older so my question is what is the next best way to give it to them? Chop it up and put it in cold food? in a glass of water?

Again - many thanks for helping us out!
energy_dad

Next

Return to Jeff Novick, RD