Textured vegetable protein vs. Isolated soy protein

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Textured vegetable protein vs. Isolated soy protein

Postby KatyInAZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:47 am

Jeff,

Is there a difference between textured vegetable protein and the isolated soy protein that Dr. McD warns us about? I've been using a LightLife product (sausage) and the ingredients say "textured vegetable protein".

Thanks, Kathy
Last edited by KatyInAZ on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
KatyinAZ / Age 32 / Michigan
KatyInAZ

Re: Textured vegetable protein vs. Isolated soy protein

Postby JeffN » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:19 pm

KatyInAZ wrote:Jeff,

Is there a difference between textured vegetable protein and the isolated soy protein that Dr. McD warns us about? I've been using a LightLife product (sausage) and the ingredients say "textured vegetable protein".

Thanks, Kathy

Hi Kathy

While I am not sure which of there products you are discussing, my main concern with the product you are discussing would not just be the type of protein. We have to evaluate any product on multiple criteria and not just one.

Most all of these products are very high in fat, which makes them also very calorie dense. They are also very high in sodium and also very low in fiber. Most of the "sausage" ones I see at their website are made with isolated soy protein.

So, regardless of the type of protein, I would think of these foods as something that should be limited because of all the other issues I mentioned.

If you can be more specific of the product, and/or provide a link or post the ingredients, I will further respond.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Postby KatyInAZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:16 pm

Thanks Jeff, for responding, and for checking it out. Here's the link for the product. I only use 2 oz in the morning (one serving) with my hash brown burrito. I also don't use any other "fake meats/products" during the day.

http://www.lightlife.com/product_detail ... eansausage

Thanks again.

kathy
Last edited by KatyInAZ on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KatyInAZ

Postby susie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:58 pm

Katy as a rule it is recommended for the sodium not to exceed the amount of calories per serve. For one serve of this product is 60 calories. However the sodium in each serve is a whooping 360, 5 times higher than generally recommended.

The list of ingredients also contains 3 separate refences to soy proteins as well as soy flour.

It says zero fat, which makes me wonder. I use a no added fat soymilk and the fat total of that is 3.7g from just the beans.
susie

Postby JeffN » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:01 pm

KatyInAZ wrote:Thanks Jeff, for responding, and for checking it out. Here's the link for the product. I only use 2 oz in the morning (one serving) with my hash brown burrito. I also don't use any other "fake meats/products" during the day.

http://www.lightlife.com/product_detail ... eansausage

Thanks again.

kathy

thanks for the link as the product I looked at was different.

the ingredient list includes texturized soy protein as one of the main ingredients and while the process to make this is somewhat different than isolated soy protein, it is still a concentrated refined form of soy protein.

2 oz only contributes 7 grams of protein, which is not a lot but my opinion remains the same. I do not recommend these type of products as they are made from concentrated soy and while this one is not high in fat, it is still very high in sodium.

in the context of an ideal diet, a serving occassionally would probably be harmless but I would rather see someone avoid these products.

it is possible to make something similar with some mashed kidney beans, brown rice, oats & some fresh spices. I will have to look & see if I can find the exact recipe for you.

In Health
Jeff Novick,MS, RD
JeffN

Postby dlb » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:02 pm

susie wrote:Katy as a rule it is recommended for the sodium not to exceed the amount of calories per serve.

Susie -

I thought this was recommended for people with blood pressure issues. Or is it for everyone? Can't remember which post I read it in to go check it.

Thanks,
Donna
To read how the McDougall Program helped me reach my goals, go here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/donna_byrnes.html
dlb

Postby susie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:11 am

susie

Postby JeffN » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:53 am

dlb wrote:
susie wrote:Katy as a rule it is recommended for the sodium not to exceed the amount of calories per serve.

Susie -

I thought this was recommended for people with blood pressure issues. Or is it for everyone? Can't remember which post I read it in to go check it.

Thanks,
Donna

Just to clarify..

The "rules" in regard to label reading are

1) do not beleive anything on the front of any package
2) only read the nutrition facts label and the ingredient list

The rest, are "guidelines".

In regard to sodium, the guidelines issued by the Institute of Medicine are 1200-1500 mgs per day for healthy adults but those with HTN may have to go lower. And, they also set an upper limit of 2300 mgs per day.

Over 75% of the sodium in the diet is hidden in packaged products and in restaurant foods, so watching th sodium content of food labels is important.

Now, someone on a very healthy whole food plant based diet, may be able to tolerate more sodium in regard to BP, as such a diet seems to offer some protection.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
Last edited by JeffN on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffN

Postby dlb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:37 am

OK, simple enough.

Thanks Jeff!
dlb

Postby KatyInAZ » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:12 am

Thanks, Jeff, for all your research and input. I was able to find two or three recipes for some vegan breakfast sausage that I think I'll whip up this weekend. I'm staying away from the ones that are based around vital wheat gluten. Although this is certainly vegan, I would prefer to use something like beans and rice, as you suggested, that my body would actually benefit from. Like Dr. McD says, "it's not that it's bad for you, it's just neutral. Not bad, not good." I'm still watching the DVD "...disputes major medical treatment", and the more I listen the more motivated I become.

Thanks again, Kathy
Last edited by KatyInAZ on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
KatyInAZ

Postby JeffN » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:49 pm

KatyInAZ wrote:Thanks, Jeff, for all your research and input. I was able to find two or three recipes for some vegan breakfast sausage that I think I'll whip up this weekend. I'm staying away from the ones that are based around vital wheat gluten. Although this is certainly vegan, I would prefer to use something like beans and rice, as you suggested, that my body would actually benefit from. Like Dr. McD says, "it's not that it's bad for you, it's just neutral. Not bad, not good." I'm still watching the DVD "...disputes major medical treatment", and the more I listen the more motivated I become.

Thanks again, Kathy

Here is a rough draft of the recipes... (from memory).

It was 1 can of Dark Red kidney Beans, (try the Eden Foods Unsalted) drained and rinsed.

Then it was either 1/2 to 1 cup of cooked cooled brown rice.

Mash the above two together by hand with like a fork so its a "rough" mash but all sticks together.

Then, there was a binder, which I think they used whole wheat flour but i used oatmeal and/or corn flour due to them being gluten free. So about 1/4 to 1/2 cup.

Then, the spices were typical "sausage" spices which are

2 tsp. rubbed sage
1 tsp. fennel seed, chopped
1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cumin

Mix it all together, and form into little sausage like patties. Then chill them good in the refrigerator. Then, either grill them, bake them or broil them. All you really have to do is brown them on the outside and warm them up, as all the ingredients are already cooked.

If I find the recipe, I will update this post. Or, if you (or anyone) would try this and it comes out good, let us know.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Postby susie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:46 pm

I am going to try this recipe too, so thank you Jeff. I thought I would add some gluten free bbq sauce for extra flavour. :eek:
susie

Postby dagnabit » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:13 pm

Take a look at the ingredient list of your TVP. Often contains partially hydrogenated soy bean oil (a.k.a. Trans Fats). The TVP I've got in the pantry does. It has never been opened. It is definitely not health food. The product you mentioned does not list these trans-fats, but it does list protein concentrate and soy protein isolate.
dagnabit

Postby DianeR » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:58 am

That recipe looks awesome. One thing I miss is sausage ... but I'm sure it is the spice combination that I want, not the meat or fat. If someone can confirm that this recipe works (and how much rice one is supposed to add), let me know.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. --
Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
DianeR

Postby susie » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:19 am

I made it for tea tonight and I liked it. I made it with whole rolled oats and it was nice and crunchy. I had the patties with salad.
susie

Next

Return to Jeff Novick, RD