I've lost count of how many times I have restarted....

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I've lost count of how many times I have restarted....

Postby amandamechele » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:41 pm

I am dedicating myself to no-added-oil, whole food vegan eating...again.
I've decided to journal about it this time.
I have read many books on the health benefits of eating this way.
I have been obese since my late teens, which was 20 years ago.
I just can't give up, but I am frustrated with myself for constantly allowing myself to fail.
I will keep going, I won't give up.
I have had good advice from Star McDougallers, I have read and watched many, many success stories. I have a desire to be healthy again.

Though I am scared and a little sad about what I have to give up (I am still addicted to fat, salt, sugar and oil), I am hopeful for all the things I may, no will, gain with success.

My fasting blood sugar is beginning to rise, my blood pressure is beginning to rise, but I am not on any medications (except thyroid replacement hormone for autoimmune thyroiditis).

I have 111 pounds to lose.

Though I don't feel very hopeful yet, I must keep trying.
Good luck to me!
amandamechele

Re: I've lost count of how many times I have restarted....

Postby fulenn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:03 pm

You can do this! Each time you have tried you have taken something away with you--a better habit, something you don't eat anymore, a lesson learned a bit better, maybe better understanding of your eating--so take those things and build on them.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby PineappleTraci » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi Amanda,

Just a quick hello, and a reminder that there's no need to have a heavy heart! All this way of eating really is, is:

Insert healthy food in mouth, chew, swallow, repeat till satisfied. Repeat several times throughout day. Then, maybe do it again the next day.

I've been pushing people who write success stories to tell more about what they ate, and what hurdles they had to overcome mentally. So, there should be at least a couple people's recent footsteps to follow in, along with specifics.

You can indeed succeed like others have before you! :)
PineappleTraci

Postby amandamechele » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Fulenn - Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. Your thread is at the top of the Journal Forum so I had a chance to read just a little bit about your journey. Very inspiring!

Pineapple Traci - Thank you as well for your comments. My mood, was reflecting yet another "failed" Day 1 (of which I have a thousand). But I get up again, I start a new day, and try again.
I haven't had a chance to read anything about your story/life/journey with the McDougall Plan, but I do hope it is successful and satisfying. :-D

So, as in any good journal, I will be describing and reflecting upon my day:

Day 1:

Breakfast: 1/2 Cup cooked oatmeal, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2
banana, 1 cup Green Tea
Snack 1: 4 Bick's Mini Garlic Pickles and 1 glass Iced Tea
Lunch: Mike and Pam's potatoes (1pound), 3 cups romaine lettuce
and Kraft Fat Free Italian dressing
Snack: 1 glass of iced tea, big handful of baby carrots, 1 banana
Dinner: 2.5 cobs of corn, 1 pound of the lunch potatoes
Snack: 1 glass of iced tea

I had a very big debate with myself this evening about food. I was feeling tired, and a bit stressed, and had to drive the kids from one lesson to the other so I began to discuss with myself the idea of taking them out to eat. Fast food, quick, easy, I could always start again tomorrow.... a conversation I have had with myself so many times.
I am happy to say that I overcame...knowing I was going to post what I ate online helped my self accountability.

Recipes for the Day:

Brilliant Red Iced Tea:
(loosely based on a recipe of Dr. Greger's from NutritionFacts.org)
2 L hot tapwater
3 rosehip/hibiscus tea bags
5 stevia tablets (equiv 5 teaspoons sugar)
1/4 fresh lemon

I use an elastic band to strap the 3 tea bags onto a 2L picture. Fill with water and add Stevia and lemon. Let sit overnight.
The next morning I remove the lemon and transfer to another container, but this step is just due to personal preference and I like to keep a particular picture free and clean in order to make more.
Enjoy!
Brilliant Red Iced Tea by amandamechele, on Flickr

This other recipe I made today is based on one from a McDougaller, whose username I can't recall, but I watched him give a presentation to the Hawaiian Vegetarian Society on Youtube.

Mike and Pam's Roasted Potatoes

2.5 pounds potatoes
Mustard
Thyme
Tarragon or cayenne
garlic
prepared mustard
(I also added diced onion, but this was not a part of the original recipe)
Bake for 40 mins at 425 degrees until soft.

This recipe smells heavenly. And it tastes good too!
Before:
Mike and Pam's Roasted Potatoes 1 by amandamechele, on Flickr

After:
Mike and Pam's Roasted Potatoes 2 by amandamechele, on Flickr
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Last night, after posting, and while watching TV, I ate a whole box of rice crackers. A whole box. The calorie count for that was 450. It could have been worse - they were no added salt, low fat rice crackers.

Day 2:

B: 1.25 cup oatmeal, 1/2 banana, 2 tsps. flax meal, 1 cup green
tea
S: 1 glass of iced tea
L: Leftover potatoes from yesterday
S: 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 banana, 2 tsps. flax meal, 3/4 pound of baby
carrots
D: Garbonzo Bonanza
S: ?? Later

Recipe for today: Garbonzo Bonanza:
Garbonzo Bonanza by amandamechele, on Flickr
This is a lazy meal that is easy to throw together in 2 minutes. Whenever I am cooking something significantly different for my family I make this so I don't end up spending all night in the kitchen. Or sometimes, I make it just because I am not feeling like cooking.

Ingredients:
1 can chickpeas (garbonzo beans)
1 small can creamed corn
1/2 bag of frozen broccoli

Mix ingredients together in a dish and microwave until heated through.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:34 pm

Oops I had forgotten, I also ate a cob of corn with lunch.
amandamechele

Postby Caroveggie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:55 pm

That looks simple and delicious. I'm going to try it some time. Creamed corn, broccoli, and chickpeas. I love chickpeas.
Caroveggie

Postby JT of PA » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:36 am

Great posts ... I appreciate the honesty.

It helps knowing others are doing this too and I'm not alone.

All the best,
John
JT of PA

Postby amandamechele » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Caroveggie - It really does hit the spot and is quite delicious when it's lack of sophistication is taken into account.

John - You are not alone! Thank you for reminding me of that too.

Well, it appears my last snack of the day is becoming something of a daily confession. I had 4 cups of popcorn, with a sprinkle of Nooch (nutritional yeast) and 4 mini garlic pickles. It was a lot of popcorn, that I didn't even really enjoy due to its dry tastelessness. I will have to address the eating at night out of habit issue eventually. But for now...

Day 3:
B: Green tea, 1 green smoothie
S: 2 Decaff coffees with stevia
L: 1 bowl of yesterday's Garbonzo Bonanza (try saying that 3
times fast)
S: 1 green smoothie
D: Sweet Potato Curls, 1 green smoothie
S: 1 green smoothie

Recipes of the Day:

Green Smoothie:

I realize this program prefers whole chewable foods, but I find this an easy way to get a lot of cooked greens into me. I make 2 L in the morning and pour them into 4 mason jars and drink them throughout the day.

1/2 banana
1 orange
3 cups frozen kale
2 cups frozen broccoli
1.5 cups frozen berries
1-2 tbsp. of Flaxmeal
Water to fill

Blend all the ingredients until smooth and enjoy. To make it sweeter try pineapple or grapes. To make it creamier try vanilla rice milk. I prefer mine exactly as the recipe says. 3 out of 4 of my kids also drink this (Yay for small victories!!).

[Image
Green Smoothie by amandamechele, on Flickr

Sweet Potato Curls:

I am not a huge fan of sweet potatoes unless they are in a recipe. But I was wanting something with a crispy crunch and decided to experiment. Using a mandolin on it's lowest setting I cut sweet potato medallions that were paper thin. I then put them in a kitchen gadet called The Actifry by Tefal. It's selling feature is that it makes French fries with the addition of only 1 spoon of oil. (Their spoon holds 2 tbsps). I decided to try it without any oil. After 10 minutes of slicing and 35 mins of baking the potatoes were given their name "curls".
Sweet Potato Curls by amandamechele, on Flickr
They were definitely crunchy, but I must have overcooked them. I'm cannot recommend them at this time because, again, a bit plain. But, maybe, if you've been on this plan awhile they would satisfy your need to crunch!
amandamechele

Postby SecondHalf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:52 pm

I just wanted to say "hang in there" and encourage you along. You can do this. It gets easier and easier. Everybody has one or two special things that make it easier for them. Mine is having some portion of our food prepared beforehand. Then we're not tempted to say, "Oh, boy, so tired, let's just take a break this one night". So I cook up a batch of brown rice, a batch of quinoa, and some potatoes every weekend. We have a rice cooker so the first two are a snap and my husband is glad to peel the potatoes, although we don't always peel them any more. If I have those things on hand and ready to go, I feel bullet-proof. :D

Don't feel too bad about the rice crackers. We had a nearly overripe avocado the other day and I couldn't let it go to waste. . . so I ate it. All of it. Not terrific, but better than a lot of other things.

Onward and upward!
Me: Image

My husband: Image

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
SecondHalf

Postby amandamechele » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 pm

Secondhalf - That is exactly what I told myself. I will definitely take your advice and keep more cooked whole foods on hand for my evenings. I appreciate the encouragement. :-)

Day 4:

B: 1 Cup oatmeal, 2tsps flaxmeal, 1/2 banana, 1 cup green tea
S: handful of baby carrots
L: Potato Leek Soup
S: 2 pounds of raw veggies including carrots, red pepper, snow peas, cucumber, 1 pound strawberries, a few blackberries
D: Potato leek soup, veggie sub on whole grain bread with mustard

Today I was out all day at my family's home. I tend to snack the whole time I am out and today was no different in that respect. I did, however, manage to keep it to fruits and vegetables. So I'm going to consider it a win.

Recipe of the Day:

Potato Leek Soup:
This is a favorite comfort food of mine.

1 bunch of leeks
4 medium potatoes (peeled)
2 onions
2 L no fat vegetable broth
1/4 tsp thyme
5 bay leaves
a few shakes of pepper
Salt to taste

Put everything in a pot and simmer until potatoes are soft. Blend all ingredients together if you have a Vitamix or Blendtech (otherwise remove the bay leaves first then blend).
Potato Leek Soup by amandamechele, on Flickr
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Day 5 and 6:

Ahhh the weekend...nothing eventful to post.
I followed the plan and ate all the leftovers.

Weigh in day is Tuesday morning. Fingers crossed!
amandamechele

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Amanda,

Never give up! You're doing this for your overall health and as long as you are making the effort you will succeed. Each day gets easier and one day you will no longer even think about those previous temptations.

I also have about 110 pounds yet to lose and no matter how slowly the pounds come off I know that one day I will be there.

Thanks for letting us be part of your journey and we are rooting for you through all the ups and downs.

Here's to a great week!

Karen
Pudgypumpkin - who is working on becoming a Sleekleek!
One potato, two potato, three potato, four - I'm a McDougalling Starchivore!
Pudgypumpkin

Postby kb4eating » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:53 am

Amanda,
I'm right there with you. I need to lose about 80 lbs. Sometimes it feels like a really big number and I feel overwhelmed. And then I do a reality check and realize that even if I only lose 1lb. a week...that's 52lbs. a year.

I really appreciate your recipes and photos and will be adding them to my repertoire. Check out Doug Lisle,Phd.

Have a great week,
Patrice
kb4eating

Postby amandamechele » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:16 pm

Thank you all for the kind posts! They fill me with hope. I am genuinely surprised at how wonderful it feels to have everyone here. I tend to read more than I post, and I always appreciate the information that I am reading, but I guess I have never developed a connection with this group that way.

So thank you all! I have had a successful week regardless of weight loss (which I won t know about until tomorrow morning).

Day 7:

B: Green Tea
S: 1 quarter of a cantaloupe
L: Pita Pit whole grain hummus and veggie wrap
(this came out to 25% calories from fat because of the hummus,
so I won t be repeating it) with mushrooms, green peppers,
onions, spinach, alfalfa sprouts, cucumber.
S: 1.5 bananas
D: My Vegan Chili, Mashed PotatoFlower and a small bit of salad
greens
Dinner, Day 7 by amandamechele, on Flickr

Recipes of the Day:

Mashed Potato Flower:

1 half head of cauliflower
5 large potatoes (I used Yukon Golds tonight, but Russets taste
creamier in this recipe)
Rice or Non Fat Soy milk
Salt to taste

Boil the spuds and cauliflower together until soft. Drain water, add small amount of milk and mash until smooth. Add salt if desired.
Tonight I did not peel the potatoes. It was not because the recipe is then higher in fiber and thus better for you, but due to lack of time.
Mashed PotatoFlower by amandamechele, on Flickr

My Vegan Chili:

This recipe is not totally mine, as the name implies. It is a tweaked version of two recipes - one from Dr. Fuhrman and one from Vegan Planet Cookbook.
Chili is the type of recipe that is good in many, many variations and thus easy for almost anyone to like, if they add and subtract the right ingredients.
My Vegan Chili 1 by amandamechele, on Flickr
Ingredients:
2 small onions
3 cloves garlic
4-5 medium white button mushrooms
Fat free vegetable broth
4 tsps. ground cumin
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1half tsp Chipotle Chili Pepper
1 half tsp dried cilantro leaves (parsley will also work)
1 tsp salt (optional)
1 half large can of crushed tomatoes (no salt)
1 chopped red pepper
2 cans tomato paste
2 stevia tabs (equiv to 2 tsps. sugar) to cut acid taste of tomatoes
1 can chickpeas (salt free)
1 can black beans (salt free)
1 can red kidney beans (salt free)
1 cup frozen corn

I have listed the ingredients in order of preparation. I chop the onions, mushrooms and garlic first so that they can sit for 10 mins and become great cancer fighters before being heated. While they sit, I open all of the cans, drain and rinse the beans, chop the red pepper, and measure out the spices into a little cup.
Saute on medium heat the mushrooms, onions and garlic until soft with veggie broth, approx. 5 mins. Stir in the spices. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Add Stevia., Add red pepper, beans and corn. Simmer on low until peppers are soft.
This is delicious over a baked potato. And, unfortunately, even with the salt I did add to the recipe, I think it still could have used a bit more if you are used to a SAD diet.
My Vegan Chili 2 by amandamechele, on Flickr
amandamechele

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals