All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Peanut butter powder for TracyAnn (off topic for MWLP)

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:29 am

If you're using PB2 brand, you may want to hold off on buying any more of it. It's not just peanuts - even the plain has sugar as well as salt added to it.
http://www.bellplantation.com/products/12-pack-1lb-bags-of-pb2-powdered-peanut-butter.html

On another forum people have mentioned that Trader Joe's peanut flour (or is it peanut powder? I don't have a TJ near me so never saw it) is ONLY peanuts with nothing added, so if you have a TJ's near you, you may want to look into getting that, instead.
VeggieSue

Re: All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

Postby TracyAnn » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks Veggie Sue! Yes, the kind I bought wasn't PB2 but it had coconut sugar and salt in it. I would prefer to get the kind at Trader Joes that has nothing added. I have been cutting out the salt and sugar. I did try a sprinkling of it this morning and it was pretty good. Something I don't plan on using everyday, but will be good alternative when a hard craving hits.
TracyAnn

Postby Jenna » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:15 pm

All right--I am starting a potato hack on Monday for 2 weeks. This weekend I am finishing up some leftover non-potato items. I will do all potatoes, sweet potatoes, green and yellow veggies. I can't do a lot of green and yellow veggies because these cause my IBS to flare up, and my weight loss has stalled recently (I only have about 10 lbs to go, so I know it will be slow). Also, I am Eastern Orthodox, and our Easter is in 2 weeks, so I want to do it before then. I'll report back with results.
Jenna

Postby Key Tones » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi Jenna - I'm going to do a potato hack proper as well. I've been lax! I just looked back at my weight chart and realized I have made no progress for a long time. At first lax worked.

I just got my Cuisinart griller. I bought one that was labelled used that sounded like a return. It is absolutely perfect and looks like it was never used. I just made two batches of hashed browns (to keep in stock - I hope they are good reheated). I'm not sure I'm going to eat them any other way for a while. Quick and easy! I have an old 70s Cuisinart food processor that I can use to slice quickly.

Fat free cooking is so neat and tidy!

on the PB - I have the sugared stuff, but it doesn't make me overeat. I'm not that into it - I've had it for maybe two years! I don't eat bread and I don't like it in smoothies (what I bought it for). I'm not sure I'll replace it since I'm realizing I'm not making progress. Maybe if I start getting really tired of the potatoes and am at risk of jumping off.
Key Tones

Postby anni m » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:37 pm

I'll definitely check out the TJs peanut powder, that sounds preferable to this stuff. The reconstituted powder is not the same as regular peanut butter so it's not tempting for me to overeat, luckily. But it definitely is still off the mwl plan, and the potato hack.
anni m

Postby TracyAnn » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi Jenna, I have IBS also...what vegetables do you eat that seem to agree the most with you? What is your ratio of starches to veges? Do you use a fiber supplement? Sorry for all the questions, but I am looking for anything that I might want to try out...

Also I have heard that cold potatoes are good for IBS.

Today I am going to fill up the crock pot again and boil some potatoes also. A couple weeks ago I made a potato salad with lemon juice and cucumbers and it was pretty good.
TracyAnn

Postby Jenna » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:26 pm

TracyAnn, spinach, mushrooms, green beans, iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, and celery (all need to be cooked except for the lettuce and cucumbers) are my best veggies. I have IBS-D (diarrhea) so no fiber supplement. I do take digestive enzymes when I eat more veggies and they do help. Digest spectrum is the best I have found but it is pretty $$$. I am probably only at about 20% veggies most days. In large amounts, they really don't agree with me and I just see them in the toilet shortly after eating them along with lots of pain and cramping (sorry for TMI). I plan to eat lots of cold potatoes, so hopefully that will help. I'll let you know! :)
Jenna

Postby Key Tones » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:31 pm

I picked up some fat free pizza sauce from Trader Joe's. Woot! I ate some of this with my hash browns.

Woot!

Wow, so good!!!

I checked for peanut powder, but they didn't have any. They told me the "peanut flour" didn't sell well, so they quit carrying it. Oh well, I was curious about it.
Key Tones

Postby anni m » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:09 pm

oh, too bad about there being no peanut flour at trader joe's :-( I was just telling my husband that we had to look for that next time we get a chance to go to there. oh well. i am getting to the point of getting used to my apple dessert just plain, so that's good!
anni m

Postby TracyAnn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:07 am

Jenna wrote:TracyAnn, spinach, mushrooms, green beans, iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, and celery (all need to be cooked except for the lettuce and cucumbers) are my best veggies. I have IBS-D (diarrhea) so no fiber supplement. I do take digestive enzymes when I eat more veggies and they do help. Digest spectrum is the best I have found but it is pretty $$$. I am probably only at about 20% veggies most days. In large amounts, they really don't agree with me and I just see them in the toilet shortly after eating them along with lots of pain and cramping (sorry for TMI). I plan to eat lots of cold potatoes, so hopefully that will help. I'll let you know! :)

Thanks Jenna! ( Don't worry about TMI...I completely understand. :-) )I am trying to find the right ratios of veges. I have not thought about iceberg lettuce for a long time, but now it sounds good. Good luck with the potato hack!

Today's Menu was:

Potatoes: microwaved russets and reds (some with mustard)
coffee
TracyAnn

Postby Key Tones » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 am

OK, I am on day one of a new start - hoping for the best this week!

I do better on cooked/pureed vegetables. I do feel ill on a lot of raw fiber, unfortunately.

I made some ginger carrot soup last night, and pureed it in the Vitamix. All calm, so far, so good. The big bag of raw carrots I bought was causing problems so into soup they went.
Key Tones

Postby Potatolover » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:51 pm

I am starting Day 1 of the potato challenge. I am hoping to stay strong through the week. Lets see if I can successfully do this thing. I just boiled up a whole pot of red potatoes and made homemade veggie broth for a little flavor. I will do greens with my potatoes. I am at 152.3 after a weekend in Vegas (actually lost a pound) now lets see if I can break the 150's (please oh please). I love that this WOE is very simple, but somehow seems so hard to do well. :D
Potatolover

Postby Lentil » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Key Tones wrote:I checked for peanut powder, but they didn't have any. They told me the "peanut flour" didn't sell well, so they quit carrying it. Oh well, I was curious about it.

For anyone interested in the discontinued Trader Joe's peanut flour, the same product can be purchased here:
http://www.iherb.com/Protein-Plus-Roast ... 53-g/36230. It's apparently this company that sourced TJ's peanut flour. The only ingredient is roasted peanuts. A tablespoon has 1g fat and 4g protein. I like to use it in small amounts to make sauces, etc.
Lentil

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program