Waffles

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Waffles

Postby Wildapple » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:42 pm

I took my old waffle recipe and gave it a healthy makeover this morning. Take a lookee...

Waffles
3 tsp. Ene-G Egg Replacer mixed with 4 TBL. warm water
2 cups Almond Milk
2 cups King Arthur White Whole Whear Flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 jar baby food prunes

Hubby said they were just as good as the old waffles (Woo-Hoo) which had eggs, buttermilk and oil.

My only problem is that I had to spray my waffle iron so that it wouldn't stick, even though it's a non-stick iron. Guess it's old. I used coconut oil spray. Anyone got an idea as to how I can make these and not use the spray?
Wildapple

Re: Waffles

Postby vgnwitch » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Fat-free, whole-grain waffles need a longer cooking time than SAD waffles made with dairy, oil, and white flour. Sticking in a non-stick iron is usually a sign they aren't finished cooking yet. Try leaving them in for a few more minutes.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby cowpie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:31 pm

I have a nonstick waffle iron too, and have the same problem with the waffles sticking, Wildapple. I've been spraying mine too. I just ordered a new one with removable plates, because my old one doesn't have that feature and it's very hard to clean. As soon as I get my new one, I'm going to try your recipe. Thanks for posting!
cowpie

Postby Wildapple » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Can't leave them in any longer or they would be burned to a crisp. Maybe a new waffle iron is in order.
Wildapple

Postby vgnwitch » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:48 am

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but when I make waffles, they always appear as if they might be stuck to the iron. They don't lift easily. I have to give them a bit of a pull with a fork and then they pop right off.

It also helps to wait a minute after opening the waffle iron. I think the steam from the hot waffle helps to loosen it.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby Erbse » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:38 am

It's been ages since I last made waffles as we've been on MWL. I have 2 waffle irons so that I can make a good number of waffles at once. They both have a temperature dial which I put on 2.5.

I can't remember the recipes off-hand but for one I soaked rolled oats in water and then blended it smooth in a blender. Another one was made with beans, soaked overnight and then blended. Each of these waffles need to cook almost 10 mins. The rolled oats/water ones are nice. They come out crisp and a bit stiff, not soft like the high fat ones, so would be a bit different from what you're used to. The beans one are harder to get right. They often stick and need quite a while to cook.

My waffle irons were non-stick but I had to oil them a little for the very first waffle I made. After that they were ok. A friend of mine told me about non coated waffle irons but I think you have to oil them each time.

If you use an extra low fat plant milk or water, you save yourself some fat which might compensate a little for the oil on the waffle iron?
Erbse
Erbse

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning